Speculation: Calvin de Haan Contract

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My theory on De Haan is that since he is so young coming off a pretty major injury, he might take a short term contract as a basis to prove he deserves a bigger one in a couple years and will still be young enough then to command a 6-7 year deal.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
They do seem pretty similar. Probably does make more sense to sign than trade.

How close are he and Tavares? Could he be used as a lure?

I'm not saying they don't like each other, but I don't think they're close friends. Rather... friendly. There's a post-season interview available on the Isles' website and de Haan at one point was asked about John, you can see and gauge that for yourself. I would link it, but my work actually bloked all the NHL websites on our company computers.

I would like to see him stay with the Isles. I don't think it'll happen, but I would be happy if they worked something with the management.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No I went back and double checked.
They played together in junior. Snow traded up to get dehaan. All the media coverage here in ontario of the teams was that it was to bring in a buddy of Tavares and they compared it to the vinny/brad thing of a decade before.

Whether or not they are still buddies etc now i obviously can’t say. Whether one signing influencing the other I mean who knows, it didn’t work for Toronto this year. It worked for anaheim and minny before

But the connection there was reported on way back (I just wanted to make sure I had the right guy. It was dehaan)
I am aware Snow traded up to get CDH.
And I am telling I cannot recall even 1 comment in the media , indicating Tavares and CDH are close. Moulson and Tavares? Yeah .
KO and Tavares? Yeah.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
My theory on De Haan is that since he is so young coming off a pretty major injury, he might take a short term contract as a basis to prove he deserves a bigger one in a couple years and will still be young enough then to command a 6-7 year deal.
On such a weak ufa market, some team will give him 5 yrs/ $25m+ imo.

Reactions: SI90

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

No. CdH has been very clear that he prefers a long term deal. I strongly believe he'll take a bit less AAV to get more years.

But there's the rub. Teams know he has talent and hockey sense, but they've got to be concerned about his durability.

If it looks like NYI can't sign JT (I think they can't), they should try their very hardest to sign de Haan. The risk would be worth it.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
So the Islanders aren’t keeping one of their top 4 after just letting up the most goals?

Sounds like a recipe for success, boy oh boy how that organizaion hasnt done a single thing right since the 80s

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Gardiner is by no means a defensive liability or bad in his own zone add that to his b2b 40 plus point seasons he's head and shoulders above w/e cdh brings.
If Gardiner was good defensively and put up 40+ hed be a big name

But he isnt so he’s not. Gardiner is an offensive defensemen who isnt terrible defensively and lacks IQ, hes a perfect #4 and nothing more. Just like any other PPQB/OFD who needs a stronger d partner. Nothing wrong with that but no reason to make stuff up and say he is good defensively.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
3-5 years at or under 5M per.

Wish NYI was going to retain him but that’s Garth Snow for you.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Perfect partner to get Just Faulk to bounce back. Hope the Canes can snag him.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
if it could help bring Tavares, I would sign De Haan ! not like if we have alote of good left handed defensemen who could move the puck

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
if it could help bring Tavares, I would sign De Haan ! not like if we have alote of good left handed defensemen who could move the puck

I think he should be a target for Montreal either way but that D core would get very pricey once Mete/Juulsen end up needing contracts.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
If Gardiner was good defensively and put up 40+ hed be a big name

But he isnt so he’s not. Gardiner is an offensive defensemen who isnt terrible defensively and lacks IQ, hes a perfect #4 and nothing more. Just like any other PPQB/OFD who needs a stronger d partner. Nothing wrong with that but no reason to make stuff up and say he is good defensively.
That's just false. This is gardiners first season where he played strong 2nd pairing competition and guess what still exceled... And hit 50 points.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
John Moore is another guy who is quietly going into free agency.

He has his faults particularly in puck battles along the boards, but as the league trends toward speed and skill, teams might be quietly keeping an eye on him.
Yes Moore would look good with Chicago and he is from Illinois

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yes Moore would look good with Chicago and he is from Illinois

I could definitely see that happening. He's had his ups and downs, but he has quietly been an all situations defender in NJ the last three years playing mainly on the second pair.

There was hardly any competition for that spot until this year, but some teams have to see some value in him.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
So the Islanders aren’t keeping one of their top 4 after just letting up the most goals?

Sounds like a recipe for success, boy oh boy how that organizaion hasnt done a single thing right since the 80s
DeHaan is injury prone and signing Tavares should be priority.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Leafs are willing to let JVR go so maybe they will take a run at CDH. Isles need to get younger and better on D. CDH when healthy is solid but not special. For 5million per let him go .

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Last year, CdH played RD with Leddy due to injuries. They looked great in that short stint. That stood out.

He's mostly a LD, but he can play his off side.

Well if that was more than a few games and teams believe he can that should really up interest

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I could definitely see that happening. He's had his ups and downs, but he has quietly been an all situations defender in NJ the last three years playing mainly on the second pair.

There was hardly any competition for that spot until this year, but some teams have to see some value in him.

Is New Jersey not expected to resign him? Their blue line isn't exactly a strong suit

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Is New Jersey not expected to resign him? Their blue line isn't exactly a strong suit

Probably not. Mueller and Butcher both need playing time. Going into next year, they're probably look at:

Greene - Vatanen
Mueller - Severson
Butcher - Santini/Lovejoy

I would also expect Shero to be in the market for a LD to try and strengthen that side as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see Severson packaged out for an improvement either.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No. CdH has been very clear that he prefers a long term deal. I strongly believe he'll take a bit less AAV to get more years.

But there's the rub. Teams know he has talent and hockey sense, but they've got to be concerned about his durability.

If it looks like NYI can't sign JT (I think they can't), they should try their very hardest to sign de Haan. The risk would be worth it.

Is it the same shoulder as junior?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad