Speculation: Calvin de Haan Contract

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He nearly went to arbitration in the past so there's a strong possibility he doesn't resign with the Isles, especially if you factor in Tavares' potential pay raise. He looks like a solid top four addition to any team looking for a sturdy d-man but his past shoulder injuries do raise some concern.

I'd love to see him signed by the Leafs in order to open up the possibility of a Gardiner deal(I actually like Gardiner but I don't see him as a fit given his similar play style to Dermott and Rielly). Could he be had for under 4-5mil without term?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
This will be a tough one to predict. He’s solid when healthy so I think he can get 4-5 mil, term is the big question. Will someone go 4 years? 5?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He looks like a solid top four addition to any team looking for a sturdy d-man but his past shoulder injuries do raise some concern.

Weird thing is after alot of injuries early in his career he has remained relatively injury free till this season.

I also made a joke in an Islander thread he is probably the only player who got injured this year whose stock increased value(mainly due to the fact you can pinpoint Islanders troubles as a team to when he got knocked out)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'd imagine he's going to gather a lot of interest over the summer. Him and Cole are the only FA dmen who are not 1) over 30 2) have played top 4 role in the last couple years.

A lot of teams could use a 2nd pairing guy and the amount if interest will drive up the price.

Im not going to guess what he's going to get but it'll probably be a bigger contract than people anticipate.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i'd love for the leafs to get him. i think 5 x 4.5 would be reasonable

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Idk why leafs fans want him at 4 or 4.5 rather just have gards at 6 or w/e he's a much better player. No shot to cdh, a team should go after him for that much.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Idk why leafs fans want him at 4 or 4.5 rather just have gards at 6 or w/e he's a much better player. No shot to cdh, a team should go after him for that much.
cdh provides much needed defensive stability. we have a gardiner in our system in lillegren and chances are he'll pan out

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
cdh provides much needed defensive stability. we have a gardiner in our system in lillegren and chances are he'll pan out

I would view it more as Gardiner and Reilly are sort of redundant, De Haan could add a different element to the defense core

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Gardiner is by no means a defensive liability or bad in his own zone add that to his b2b 40 plus point seasons he's head and shoulders above w/e cdh brings.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I would view it more as Gardiner and Reilly are sort of redundant, De Haan could add a different element to the defense core
he would add a great deal of stability. a d core of reilly-de haan; dermott-gardiner; hainsey-?????? would be pretty good. for the reilly and gardiner being redundant part, i'd rather keep both of them for next season along with de haan and then hope lillegren progresses to be an nhl defender.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
De Haan will probably get a similar type deal to guys like Brendan Smith or Dmitri Kulikov (with a percentage increase to reflect the new cap). So probably anywhere in the neighborhood of $4 million (injury concern might cause this) to $5 million per year.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Gardiner is by no means a defensive liability or bad in his own zone add that to his b2b 40 plus point seasons he's head and shoulders above w/e cdh brings.
he is a very weak and confused player despite racking up points. de haan would bring an element that we need and that is defensive stability

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
LHD is certainly not a deficient area for the Leafs. Reilly, Dermot, Gardiner and Borgman Why put money into CDH? Centre and RHD are priorities.
I don't think Gardiner is resigned by the Leafs for cap/need reasons. But good teams don't worry about upcoming UFAs they are trying to win now.

Reactions: JackFr

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Probably between 4-5M. The fact that he didn't even play half the season doesn't help his case.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
To be clear, I don’t view de Haan as an upgrade. I just feel as though he’s a better fit when you consider Gardiner’s potential salary increase and the return we would get for dealing his final year. It seems like a poor investment to pay Gardiner, Rielly , Lillegrin, and Dermott to play similar roles when we don’t have a player in de Haan’s mold. Especially when you consider Matthews, Nylander and Mariner upcoming salary increases.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
LHD is certainly not a deficient area for the Leafs. Reilly, Dermot, Gardiner and Borgman Why put money into CDH? Centre and RHD are priorities.
I don't think Gardiner is resigned by the Leafs for cap/need reasons. But good teams don't worry about upcoming UFAs they are trying to win now.
the handedness shouldn't be an issue and gardiner will look for a lot of money on his next contract. better to sign de haan for a few seasons for cheaper than sign gardiner for longer and more expensive during the time period where the big 3 will be getting paid.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
wouldnt be surprised if he gets 5x5, and even though thats a slight overpayment in dollars i think the term is going to concern some teams

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
To be clear, I don’t view de Haan as an upgrade. I just feel as though he’s a better fit when you consider Gardiner’s potential salary increase and the return we would get for dealing his final year. It seems like a poor investment to pay Gardiner, Rielly , Lillegrin, and Dermott to play similar roles when we don’t have a player in de Haan’s mold. Especially when you consider Matthews, Nylander and Mariner upcoming salary increases.
like i said gards will be making around 6 and cdh 4 or 4.5, the leafs are fantastic cap wise and should spend on the better player, and gardiner, rielly dermott and lil dont all play the same role.

rielly is the bonafide #1 two way dman
dermott is a top 4 2 way dman(looks to be anyways)
lil and gards would play a similar role but on opposite sides and even then lily is a sure thing.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
the handedness shouldn't be an issue and gardiner will look for a lot of money on his next contract. better to sign de haan for a few seasons for cheaper than sign gardiner for longer and more expensive during the time period where the big 3 will be getting paid.
we can afford everyone comfortably cdh is a downgrade his possible edge defensively doesn't overcome the massive offence gards brings and the transition game, the outlet passing, etc..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->