Speculation: Calvin de Haan Contract

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
we can afford everyone comfortably cdh is a downgrade his possible edge defensively doesn't overcome the massive offence gards brings and the transition game, the outlet passing, etc..
we have lots of guys that bring the offence, transition game like reilly, gardiner, dermott, lillegren. we need guys like de haan who can really steady things down.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'd imagine he's going to gather a lot of interest over the summer. Him and Cole are the only FA dmen who are not 1) over 30 2) have played top 4 role in the last couple years.

A lot of teams could use a 2nd pairing guy and the amount if interest will drive up the price.

Im not going to guess what he's going to get but it'll probably be a bigger contract than people anticipate.

John Moore is another guy who is quietly going into free agency.

He has his faults particularly in puck battles along the boards, but as the league trends toward speed and skill, teams might be quietly keeping an eye on him.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
we have lots of guys that bring the offence, transition game like reilly, gardiner, dermott, lillegren. we need guys like de haan who can really steady things down.
dermott isnt near what gardiner can do im a big fan but hes half a step slower then gards but he has the lateral movement down pat, dermott also doesnt have the vision nor passing of gardiner either, lily we will have to see.

cdh literally is worse in every way except a bit better defensively at beast, gards was our best dman in 2013 and tied with rielly in 2017, cdh will never be able to reach gards when he plays like that let alone his regular self.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Probably will get 5 per for 4 or more. Pair CHD with an offensive defenseman and they'll have career years. If you need a defensive dman, he's the best you're going to find in this years fa crop. Expect a couple goals, 20a on the 2nd pairing. At 4 per for 4 he's a bargain.

I think he'll be highly sought after in the offseason, as well he should be.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He nearly went to arbitration in the past so there's a strong possibility he doesn't resign with the Isles, especially if you factor in Tavares' potential pay raise. He looks like a solid top four addition to any team looking for a sturdy d-man but his past shoulder injuries do raise some concern.

I'd love to see him signed by the Leafs in order to open up the possibility of a Gardiner deal(I actually like Gardiner but I don't see him as a fit given his similar play style to Dermott and Rielly). Could he be had for under 4-5mil without term?
CDH recently made comments that he would like to return but in the same interview made it clear he expects to be paid this summer.
Isles had balked at his $5m per demand last summer. On a weak ufa market, I expect some team will give him $5m+.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Not specifically related to this but... has any player ever said they don’t want to return?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Not specifically related to this but... has any player ever said they don’t want to return?
Press said CDH tried and failed to get a multi year extension from the isles, I would say it is a good bet he does want to return.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Back to this specifically... I think most Isles fans think he’ll go.

What’s frustrating is that Snow used the loss of de Haan as a reason that the Isles fared so poorly this year. The same player Snow refused to sign for a long-term deal or protect in the expansion draft.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Back to this specifically... I think most Isles fans think he’ll go.

What’s frustrating is that Snow used the loss of de Haan as a reason that the Isles fared so poorly this year. The same player Snow refused to sign for a long-term deal or protect in the expansion draft.

I don’t disagree. It’s just funny that almost every player says that they want to stay.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Good reliable steady number 3-4 Defensman. Can move the puck and make smart plays. For some reason his offensive numbers never seemed to get to that next level but he def has the offensive tools.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I have not read or heard about his being tight with CDH.

Really? They played juniors together. Drafted in same year. I’m sure even in the draft they mentioned that snow was drafting jt Buddy.

It has been brought up a bunch no??

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
De Haan will look at what Gudbranson received and say, "that, but bigger"

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Really? They played juniors together. Drafted in same year. I’m sure even in the draft they mentioned that snow was drafting jt Buddy.

It has been brought up a bunch no??
No. Tavares being very close to Molson and Okposo was bought up several times.
Guess that means Tavares to the Sabres?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No. Tavares being very close to Molson and Okposo was bought up several times.
Guess that means Tavares to the Sabres?

No I went back and double checked.
They played together in junior. Snow traded up to get dehaan. All the media coverage here in ontario of the teams was that it was to bring in a buddy of Tavares and they compared it to the vinny/brad thing of a decade before.

Whether or not they are still buddies etc now i obviously can’t say. Whether one signing influencing the other I mean who knows, it didn’t work for Toronto this year. It worked for anaheim and minny before

But the connection there was reported on way back (I just wanted to make sure I had the right guy. It was dehaan)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad