Calling out Ovi

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Ovechkin has nothing to be ashamed about in his post-season career. Outside of maybe 1 year, he's always been a positive contributor. The Capitals, on the other hand, have had quite a few regular season champs who become passengers in the post-season over the years. Ovechkin just doesn't happen to be one of them.
He is around 50th all time in ppg... that's extremely great especially for a winger...

But the Caps still waste too much maximizing ovies production over his best use on a team... the Caps have been a dominant regular season team forever now... but they just aren't built for the playoffs... it's been rehashed forever here...

Again, great player, terrible team strategy around him... hes a winger, not a stud center...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Ovi AGAIN responsible for 2 goals against

2:15 that pass should not have even gone across if he recognizes there is a man wide

Edited to say that was orlov and not Ovi. I was half asleep during the game

I mean that's just brutal

But I'm sure we'll here: HE SCORES X GOALS PER GAME IN THE PLAYOFFS

Well he apparently gives up X + 1 goals against. When he doesn't have the puck, he just doesn't care. You can't win with 1 dimensional players

Last edited:

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Ovi, since being called out in this thread, has been playing at a better level than in game 1 (2ppg-pace). Maybe 1 game just isn't that good of a sample size. Is there any other team in the league (besides maybe Edmonton with McDavid) that is more focussed on one Player than the Caps are with Ovechkin?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Ovi, since being called out in this thread, has been playing at a 2ppg-pace in the 2018 Playoffs.

Did you overlook the post above?
Corrected to say it was Orlov and not Ovi on the 2nd goal

But hey, as long as you put up stats you're immune to criticism right?

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I edited, that was my mistake

Not a mistake. You just plain hate ovechkin and you’re willing to say anything against him regardless of truth. Orlov mishandles a pass, Carlson tucks into a ball rather than laying on the ice and taking away the pass, panarin makes a brilliant play, but you nonsensically blame it all on ovechkin because......well there really is no reason other than your emotions.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Did you overlook the post above?
Corrected to say it was Orlov and not Ovi on the 2nd goal

But hey, as long as you put up stats you're immune to criticism right?
He should be immune to Your criticism because it's ridiculous. You are exhibit A of people wrongly expecting Ovechkin to do everything perfect. Ovechkin played a solid game last night that they won and you're still raking him over the coals.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ovechkin is similar to Vince Carter, Alan Iverson, Brett Hull, Eric Lindros, Terrell Owens etc etc. Great individual players who can't win...mainly because of attitude and polarization. Until Ovie becomes a supporting player like Hull did, he won't win in the playoffs. He's not a leader of men - like Crosby, Messier, Sakic or Yzerman, he's a sniper and needs a change in scenery. He be great in Boston or Nashville.
Ovechkin is more comparable to Kessel or Stamkos, than he is with Crosby.
It's so funny to read this. Many of us are old enough to remember the same thing said about Yzerman (a guy you listed here.) For years it was "he's not enough of a leader, Wings should deal him, he's no Messier etc..." The very moment he won the very same people talked about what a great leader he was. It's all BS. Lindros (another guy you listed) almost surely would've won a cup at some point if he handn't of had concussion problems.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Cup is hard to win and you need a good team to do it. Even great teams like the Sens from the early to mid 2000s might never win one despite having assembled a great club.

OV has had the misfortune of running up against Crosby and Malkin in the playoffs for much of his career. As great as Crosby is (and he's the best) how many cups would he have won without Malkin? Would the two of those guys have won another if they hadn't of added Kessel? You're talking about powerhouse teams man.

Ovechkin not winning a cup is not any indication of lack of leadership. In 6 out of 10 playoff runs he's a point per game or better and is close to a point per game over his playoff career. It's not that far off of his regular season pace.

Even last night he had two points, came within a hair of scoring a third and people were still dumping on him. He takes way too much abuse here.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Not a mistake. You just plain hate ovechkin and you’re willing to say anything against him regardless of truth. Orlov mishandles a pass, Carlson tucks into a ball rather than laying on the ice and taking away the pass, panarin makes a brilliant play, but you nonsensically blame it all on ovechkin because......well there really is no reason other than your emotions.

Do you have any excuses for him on the first goal and not identifying his man?

Last edited by a moderator:

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Ovechkin tried twice as hard to pad his goal total in a meaningless game 82 against NJ than he ever has in any postseason game, says it all. As opposed to a guy like Crosby, who could win the Art Ross every year if he wanted to who saves his bedt for the playoffs.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
All this bashing must of been asleep as Ovi down in the zone blocked a great chance that could of ended OT with his stick, while Kempny was reacting slow around his net. Pretty sure that was minutes just before the Caps goal too.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin tried twice as hard to pad his goal total in a meaningless game 82 against NJ than he ever has in any postseason game, says it all. As opposed to a guy like Crosby, who could win the Art Ross every year if he wanted to who saves his bedt for the playoffs.

lol Crosby's PPG goes down dramatically in the postseason.

No doubt Crosby's 2 Art Rosses in 13 seasons are underwhelming, especialy for a center who is gifted tons of arbitrary secondary assists - so your excuses become necessary.

Ovechkin was just having fun in game 82. There was no downside for Ovechkin's team to doing that.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
It's so funny to read this. Many of us are old enough to remember the same thing said about Yzerman (a guy you listed here.) For years it was "he's not enough of a leader, Wings should deal him, he's no Messier etc..." The very moment he won the very same people talked about what a great leader he was. It's all BS. Lindros (another guy you listed) almost surely would've won a cup at some point if he handn't of had concussion problems.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Cup is hard to win and you need a good team to do it. Even great teams like the Sens from the early to mid 2000s might never win one despite having assembled a great club.

OV has had the misfortune of running up against Crosby and Malkin in the playoffs for much of his career. As great as Crosby is (and he's the best) how many cups would he have won without Malkin? Would the two of those guys have won another if they hadn't of added Kessel? You're talking about powerhouse teams man.

Ovechkin not winning a cup is not any indication of lack of leadership. In 6 out of 10 playoff runs he's a point per game or better and is close to a point per game over his playoff career. It's not that far off of his regular season pace.

Even last night he had two points, came within a hair of scoring a third and people were still dumping on him. He takes way too much abuse here.

I never said that Yzerman couldn' win or was a poor leader. Just because other people were wrong has nothing to do with me. I am saying that Ovie won' ever win a Stanley Cup while being the centerpiece of a team. He's a good player, gets his goals etc., he's just not a guy who will ever lead a team to a championship. Sorry.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I never said that Yzerman couldn' win or was a poor leader. Just because other people were wrong has nothing to do with me. I am saying that Ovie won' ever win a Stanley Cup while being the centerpiece of a team. He's a good player, gets his goals etc., he's just not a guy who will ever lead a team to a championship. Sorry.

What you are saying is understood. Pointing out that Yzerman had much of the same opinions said about him at around the same age as well, especially since you listed him as a shining example of what Ovechkin should be, is a reasonable response.

Reactions: CarolinaFlyerFan

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
What you are saying is understood. Pointing out that Yzerman had much of the same opinions said about him at around the same age as well, especially since you listed him as a shining example of what Ovechkin should be, is a reasonable response.
He' a good player, but he is a Phil Kessel, Brett hull type of player, drop him into Boston, San Jose of LA, nashville etc and I bet he wins the stanley cup many times. But, he'l never win it in Washington. Never.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ovechkin tried twice as hard to pad his goal total in a meaningless game 82 against NJ than he ever has in any postseason game, says it all.
Caps trying to feed Ovi so he reaches 50 was no different than Oilers trying to feed McDavid so he reaches 100 last season

Reactions: SkinsFan09

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You may not have said it but a lot of folks said the same thing about Yzerman... now he's considered one of the best leaders ever. You're saying Lindros didn't win because he wasn't a leader? Come on.

For many, you're never considered a leader until you win. OV is absolutely good enough to be the best player on a cup winning team. He's far better than many of the best players on previous winners and would be the best on many future cup winners as well.

Just because he hasn't won a cup (and may never win) it doesn't mean he's not a leader or good enough to be the best player on a cup winning team. Connor McDavid might not win, same with Tavares. There are 30+ teams in the league now. Inevitably some great players aren't going to be able to win cups.

The whole idea of "leadership" is misplaced in my opinion. Guy Lafleur was never considered "the leader" of his dressing room but he was the best player on those teams. Patrick Kane was the best player on those Hawk winning teams and he's not going to win any "leadership" awards. But I'd want either one of those guys leading the way for my team because they LEAD their teams to cups. But note that they were on powerhouse teams, otherwise they might never have won anything.

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Very much agree. Context is so often disregarded to make judgements on players easier.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
lol Crosby's PPG goes down dramatically in the postseason.

No doubt Crosby's 2 Art Rosses in 13 seasons are underwhelming, especialy for a center who is gifted tons of arbitrary secondary assists - so your excuses become necessary.

Ovi with 2 secondary assists last night. Those shouldn't even count, right?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Ovie had a good game last night and from what I've seen he's had a good series. The problems for the Caps go beyond Ovechkin IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig