Call of Duty Black Ops 4 (2018)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I picked up this game and am now level 10 or something really low. Not really digging the game so far. The reason I got it was because my friends were also picking it up so we could ditch PUBG altogether and get something that is more smooth. It's the first time I've played a CoD game on PC, but have played most of the other titles on console.

I've always found that with more stuff added to each game, like the technology, it really diminishes the play for me. I don't enjoy weapons and things that don't actually exist. Not really a fan of the pace of the matches so far, because I find it less tactical and strategic than previous games. Some might say it's more because you're constantly moving, but it just seems like whoever has the better initial twitch will win the fight. Is the movement speed on characters actually faster than previous games? It seems like it is, but it's also been a while since I played regularly (BO2). Still early for me right now and I don't have everything unlocked (which is another pet peeve of mine since I already know what set up I'd like to run after player all 23434 other Call of Duty titles) so I'll give it some more time before a final verdict.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I picked up this game and am now level 10 or something really low. Not really digging the game so far. The reason I got it was because my friends were also picking it up so we could ditch PUBG altogether and get something that is more smooth. It's the first time I've played a CoD game on PC, but have played most of the other titles on console.

I've always found that with more stuff added to each game, like the technology, it really diminishes the play for me. I don't enjoy weapons and things that don't actually exist. Not really a fan of the pace of the matches so far, because I find it less tactical and strategic than previous games. Some might say it's more because you're constantly moving, but it just seems like whoever has the better initial twitch will win the fight. Is the movement speed on characters actually faster than previous games? It seems like it is, but it's also been a while since I played regularly (BO2). Still early for me right now and I don't have everything unlocked (which is another pet peeve of mine since I already know what set up I'd like to run after player all 23434 other Call of Duty titles) so I'll give it some more time before a final verdict.

This is literally every CoD ever. What tactical nature of previous games?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This is literally every CoD ever. What tactical nature of previous games?

If there's increased movement speed it leads to the spawns flipping more rapidly, especially if the maps are smaller/take less time to cross, meaning you cannot methodically control a portion of the map. I don't mean camping, sitting in a corner, and then waiting for someone to come. With the removal of grenades from your basic kit and more "special" abilities added in, it makes the game more about what load out counters which than it does about how much better you are at shooting and understanding/knowing player movements. It's a problem I have with a lot of shooter games these days, because more variables means it's harder to balance and it inevitably won't be.

I've had a pretty good K/D (over 2 on console) on nearly every CoD game since Modern Warfare. I can play a number of different ways, from running and gunning, to sniping, to a more reserved control style. With each subsequent title it seems like the game gets further and further away from a traditional FPS game and the original titles. That's fine, and I understand games evolve since people don't want to play the same thing over and over again, but it just isn't for me at a certain point. Like I said, I'm a really low rank and I'll give it a few more hours for sure before determining if I'll continue with it or not, just wanted to give my first impressions. It's also my first time playing on PC, so that could be a factor as well.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
So close to Dark Matter I can taste it.

Got the technicals on the Koshka left and that's all.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Damn that's crazy. I'm not even close lol, I just finished ARs, and a few other guns are fairly close but haven't touched snipers or secondaries yet.

Well not to discourage you, but man did a lot of them suck lol.

The knife is the real bitch. Kill 5 in a row 5 times is one thing, but there's also a technical where you need to kill a guy with the knife, pick up his gun and kill him with it 5 times.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So close to Dark Matter I can taste it.

Got the technicals on the Koshka left and that's all.

:bow::bow::bow:

Damn. I am almost done with AR's. I just have long shots left on the VAPR and all five post head shot achievements with the Maddox.

I am almost done with the Auger although I may do SMG's next, now that they buffed them and also changed the mechanics with Armor in HC mode.
Well not to discourage you, but man did a lot of them suck lol.

The knife is the real *****. Kill 5 in a row 5 times is one thing, but there's also a technical where you need to kill a guy with the knife, pick up his gun and kill him with it 5 times.

The knife I am saving for Nuketown. Super easy to get it there. Play hardpoint or something, throw smoke or flash bangs in the bottom and run around and knife. But to pick up the gun and then kill him with it?? :biglaugh: f*** you treyarch.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
:bow::bow::bow:

Damn. I am almost done with AR's. I just have long shots left on the VAPR and all five post head shot achievements with the Maddox.

I am almost done with the Auger although I may do SMG's next, now that they buffed them and also changed the mechanics with Armor in HC mode.

The knife I am saving for Nuketown. Super easy to get it there. Play hardpoint or something, throw smoke or flash bangs in the bottom and run around and knife. But to pick up the gun and then kill him with it?? :biglaugh: **** you treyarch.

I think that's probably a better strategy than what I was doing.

I was using recon with dead silence, lightweight, tracker, echo detector and two concussion grenades and only accepting lobbies with frequency or gridlock to get this done. Even then, after like 4 or 5 hours of game time, I got lucky and capped off a mercilous for the gold knife.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Anyone else having trouble with lag and dc's on PC? It's literally bordering on unplayable for me.

Have you checked your in game connection?

Go to menu ---> Options ---> Connection (there will be a wifi icon) ---> at the bottom you should be able to enable ping meter. This should show you your in game ping.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Have you checked your in game connection?

Go to menu ---> Options ---> Connection (there will be a wifi icon) ---> at the bottom you should be able to enable ping meter. This should show you your in game ping.
Ok so I tried this and was hovering around 150 normally, with regular spikes of 450+. I know this doesn't really make sense since I'm using an ethernet cable and live in a suburban area.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Ok so I tried this and was hovering around 150 normally, with regular spikes of 450+. I know this doesn't really make sense since I'm using an ethernet cable and live in a suburban area.

I can try to help you. Can you go to speedtest.net from a laptop and post the results? Once the test is finished, there is a share icon in the top left hand corner. Click the first button and then copy the link that says image.

To be honest, it does make sense as there are a ton of factors at play. It goes beyond living in a suburban area and using an ethernet cable. There are a ton of factors at play. I would start with your ethernet cable, how old is it? Could it be bent or broken in an area? What kind of modem are you using? Do you have a firewall up? Have you set your PS4 as a DMZ in your router settings? Do you have packet loss? Do you have many devices on your network which is likely causing bufferbloat?

Like I said, a ton of stuff lol. There is a website where you can see packet loss. I can't remember what it is but it shows you your ping and if you are suffering from packet loss. I may have it at home but I'm at work for another 7-8 hours.

I guess, lets start with these few things - What kind of speeds do you have, how many devices do you have connected, what kind of modem/router do you have and how old are they?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I can try to help you. Can you go to speedtest.net from a laptop and post the results? Once the test is finished, there is a share icon in the top left hand corner. Click the first button and then copy the link that says image.

To be honest, it does make sense as there are a ton of factors at play. It goes beyond living in a suburban area and using an ethernet cable. There are a ton of factors at play. I would start with your ethernet cable, how old is it? Could it be bent or broken in an area? What kind of modem are you using? Do you have a firewall up? Have you set your PS4 as a DMZ in your router settings? Do you have packet loss? Do you have many devices on your network which is likely causing bufferbloat?

Like I said, a ton of stuff lol. There is a website where you can see packet loss. I can't remember what it is but it shows you your ping and if you are suffering from packet loss. I may have it at home but I'm at work for another 7-8 hours.

I guess, lets start with these few things - What kind of speeds do you have, how many devices do you have connected, what kind of modem/router do you have and how old are they?
I fixed it. I inspected the Ethernet cable and noticed slight damage near the plug. When I replaced it my ping was much better, hovering around 50-60 for most games. Thanks

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I think my 2 favorite landing spots are turbine and those 6 houses before construction.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I think my 2 favorite landing spots are turbine and those 6 houses before construction.

Mine used to be the Farm, but for some reason it has started to get over run. People figured it out I guess. Same with Rivertown, but it's not as over run as the farm...yet.

I find the two story office buildings immediately west of the Hydro Dam are generally quiet for Quads, and you can move further west from there to a couple brick buildings and houses. And if you have to head south because of the circle there are a couple more long buildings.

Last edited:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Mine used to be the Farm, but for some reason it has started to get over run. People figured it out I guess. Same with Rivertown, but it's not as over run as the farm...yet.

I find the two story buildings west of the Hydro Dam are generally quiet for Quads, and you can move up to a couple brick buildings and houses from there as well, and if you have to head south because of the circle there are a couple more long buildings.

I also like landing on the boat by the docks too. I think train station is my least favorite drop. I don't even mind Asylum every once in a while.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad