Pre-Game Talk: Calgary @ Toronto | Friday at 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Spezza shouldn't be playing C anymore. Thornton might be able to play 4C but it's not preferable and I definitely wouldn't want him playing 3C.

I think Engvall is a top 9 forward here but imo his speed and defense at 4C really helps when the wingers are Spezza and simmonds.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Boyd has been really poor of late in my opinion. Lots of turnovers. I think he needs to sit a handful of games IMO. It looks like he was getting complacent a bit. I'd like to see him get the Barabanov treatment for a bit. I am sure he will be back in the lineup later on, but he has lost that jump that he had early on. He strikes me as a guy who would respond well to that type of wakeup

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Spezza shouldn't be playing C anymore. Thornton might be able to play 4C but it's not preferable and I definitely wouldn't want him playing 3C.

I think Engvall is a top 9 forward here but imo his speed and defense at 4C really helps when the wingers are Spezza and simmonds.

Reactions: zeke

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think I've missed the presence of another 3rd/4th liner as much as I have Wayner. His net front presence on the PP has been SO SO SO missed. They have rotated so many guys in that spot, and none of them even come close to being as effective as Wayne. Not to mention, by all accounts he sounds like the heartbeat of the Leafs bench. I really hope he gets in on Friday, and I really hope he doesn't drop the mitts for a while. We can't lose this guy for an extended period of time again. Let that wrist heal for a month or so before you cave in another face

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
So with Jimmy Vesey claimed by Vancouver, appears Alex Galchenyuk will get a shot with us now.

Wayne Simmonds also appears poised to return from his injury this weekend.

Jack Campbell is also practicing with the main squad.

The Vesey waiver signaled a Simmonds return. Galchenyuk wont see the light of day unless theres multiple injuries up front.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I expect the flames to play like pieces of shit throughout this 2 game set TBH. Tkchuck is going to be running around like a f***ing clown, knowing that Muzz has a bubble on and Simmer would be coming back from a hand injury. Bogo might have to step up this 2 game set, because from everything I have read, CGY has been playing hard and physical since Sutter took over.

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Flames are playing some decent hockey since Sutter took over; won't be an easy night - even if we are well rested
Oh yeah wait for it wait for it wait for it ... da neutral zone trap with 2 man trap forecheck to turn pucks over on da dump in ... omg ... a 2-1 type game for sure ... Sutter is da new sheriff ... no creativity allowed .. play with size on forecheck ... always play RIGHT side of puck ... get caught and find a seat on bench as ur name won't get called for a shift or two or three ... old school as it gets

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
why not Lily play with the marlies instead of just staying in the taxi squad?

Lily can use the playing time and continue his development

or does lily has to go through waivers to be assigned to the marlies?
I think it may be just a slight promo to get some NHL pay. He's been playing well with Marlies. I'd give him a game or so over Dermott. Give Dermott Friday vs. Flames, if he doesnt impress swap them for the next game.

I'd like to see players come out of the lineup in favour for some guys from taxi squad, especially if team is losing or not generating goals. Mix it up.

Positive with time off is it seems some of the ice chips are returning like Simmonds, Campbell, etc. We'll see how it goes.

Barabanov and Chucky developed some nice chemistry at Coca-Cola Coliseum.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
We all get crazy up and down but rmbr, this was our lineup just 5ish years ago. Wow.

Screenshot_20210317-134553_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Galchenyuk per Team

MTL: 418gms, 15:30, 49.8xgf% (-1.3rel), 21gl/50pt pace (PP: 6gl/15pt pace)
ARZ: 72gms, 15:44, 45.5xgf% (-4.0rel), 22gl/47pt pace (PP: 10gl/24pt pace)
MIN: 14gms, 14:56, 55.1xgf% (+.19rel), 18gl/41pt pace (PP: 0gl/6pt pace)
PIT: 45gms, 11:29, 46.6xgf% (-.46rel), 9gl/31pt pace (PP: 4gl/11pt pace)
OTT: 8gms, 9:30, 44.7xgf% (-1.8rel), 10gl/10pt pace (PP: 10gl/10pt pace)

TOT: 557gms, 15:06, 49.1xgf% (-1.8rel), 20gl/47pt pace (PP: 6gl/16pt pace)

Not a ton to get excited about here. He'll likely produce at a decent rate if he can keep getting decent minutes but the only way he becomes a legit solid player is if tavares/willy prove to be the best linemates he's had and/or waivers and the ahl stint have scared him to a new effort level.

The most discouraging line here is his stint with PIT where you figure he would have been put in a similar position as here but couldn't produce.

Though if you look closer I guess he did produce at first when given minutes but then lost the coach's trust for whatever reason and lost his spot:

First 15gms: 13:56, 49pt pace
Last 30gms: 10:15, 22pt pace
Minny 14gms: 14:56, 41pt pace

I guess there's a shot he works out if his effort is there playing with probably the best pair of linemates he's ever had.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bennett’s first game against his former team???? :sarcasm:

Everyone said Bennett is a Sutter type player so would get more opportunity under Sutter.

But Sutter has stapled him to a 4th line winger slot in the first 3gms so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad