GDT: Calgary @ Ottawa, Wednesday on SportsNet @ 7:30 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
How is Wier/Boro still playing over Wideman still baffles me..
Esp. Wier, he brings nothing that we really need, he has been bad his whole time here except 20 games where everyone was sick and I still think people overrate his play, he hasn't improved on major flaws that he has in his game his whole time here. Skating is horrible, many puck battles lost to way smaller guys tonight, gap control was poor.

And pleaseeeee, what is he doing out there at 3 on 3? Cameron? It's a skating game!

I really thought we'd be good at 3 on 3 with Karlsson's explosion but he doesn't skate at all these days. In fact, he doesn't do much these days, he was bad tonight again but still is 9 in 9 with +2 on the year lol . Methot was great, I really like his game

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
We need a D.

PW was slightly better, but still nowhere near good enough. He should be making a difference offensively but he's just not. Ceci has been just as bad imo and Boro has been a disaster so far. I can live with development and don't expect them to be studs all of a sudden, but we're carrying too much "development" in our D right now. Our ENTIRE bottom 4 are working things out, and I just don't think you can win that way. We need a solid presence to play with Ceci as he's clearly the better long term option over PW.

I actually prefer PW to the 3rd pairing where he can be sheltered but if Wideman has surpassed him, so be it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We need a D.

PW was slightly better, but still nowhere near good enough. He should be making a difference offensively but he's just not. Ceci has been just as bad imo and Boro has been a disaster so far. I can live with development and don't expect them to be studs all of a sudden, but we're carrying too much "development" in our D right now. Our ENTIRE bottom 4 are working things out, and I just don't think you can win that way. We need a solid presence to play with Ceci as he's clearly the better long term option over PW.

I actually prefer PW to the 3rd pairing where he can be sheltered but if Wideman has surpassed him, so be it.

Agreed.

Methot - Karlsson
(Legit 2nd pair anchor) - Ceci
Cowen - Wideman

Boro as the 7th guy. Wiercioch to the moon.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Also, our play without the puck was atrocious last night. We're in the classic "trying too hard" mode and losing sight of the little things. So many times I saw guys watching the puck and drifting from their Responsibility and consequently we lost an opportunity to change puck possession.

I thought the shift where Cowen retaliated against Gaudreau was a bit of a spark. That seemed to get us going.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Agreed.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wideman

Yeah, that's just so much better than what we roll out there nightly. Hard to find that mythical "solid vet D" that can move the puck and play well enough in our own end, but I hope we're looking.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah, that's just so much better than what we roll out there nightly. Hard to find that mythical "solid vet D" that can move the puck and play well enough in our own end, but I hope we're looking.

I'd be looking hard at trying to move Wiercioch for a rental.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Since we won't be getting a top 4 LH D any time soon, the bottom 4 pairings need to be split up. They are just not working. I don't think it's a coincidence that the games where we actually had low shots against, are the games that Wideman was playing. I'm not suggesting Wideman is the sole responsible party for the better shot count against and better D play but he accomplishes 2 things.

1) We get another puck mover back there
2) He breaks up the Cowen - Boro pair

For those reasons alone, he should be playing every day. For the next game we have to do this:

Methot - Karl
Cowen - Wideman
Boro - Ceci

Wier can draw back in for Boro if need be.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
People will try to give 10 thousand reasons (slow, fat, ugly, lack of hair, lol etc) why the team isn't playing at 100%, but the problem is simple : puck support

More puck support brings more options, less fancy individual plays, more chemistry, more cohesion, more puck possession...

The way most of them are playing right now, it looks like they barely have played together before. Too many times the play is broken because the guy didn't expect what the other was going to do... Need more chemistry asap.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
On the goaltending interference penalty, i just don't understand how any competent ref would call a penalty on Ryan?

Anymore on this? Missed the game for my own hockey last night and keep hearing about it....any .gif around or perhaps a quick recap?

A marginal call going against us at home is almost automatic at this point, guess they have to balance it out for the more blessed franchises who actually get favourable calls at home.

BigZKingK

Mar 4, 2012
I really like Cowen and Wideman as a 3rd pairing we need to fix the 2nd pairing though

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
People will try to give 10 thousand reasons (slow, fat, ugly, lack of hair, lol etc) why the team isn't playing at 100%, but the problem is simple : puck support

More puck support brings more options, less fancy individual plays, more chemistry, more cohesion, more puck possession...

You are quite correct that their puck support is bad.

But, based on last night's game, it looks like the Sens are doing almost nothing well.

If I had to point to one thing that they need to turn things around I'd say it is .... Karlsson. When he's playing like a top-5 player in the league the Sens are a good team as he hides so many of their flaws and makes the other players better. When he's a run of the mill offensive d-man, which he is right now, then the Sens are mediocre at best.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If I had to point to one thing that they need to turn things around I'd say it is .... Karlsson. When he's playing like a top-5 player in the league the Sens are a good team as he hides so many of their flaws and makes the other players better. When he's a run of the mill offensive d-man, which he is right now, then the Sens are mediocre at best.

While I agree that Karlsson needs to be better if we want to succeed, what does that say about the rest of our blueline?

Good teams are not reliant on one player to drive their entire back end. We shouldn't have to expect Norris-caliber seasons from the guy every year, year after year, in order to just make the playoffs.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

The way most of them are playing right now, it looks like they barely have played together before. Too many times the play is broken because the guy didn't expect what the other was going to do... Need more chemistry asap.

Exactly

These are the same players as last march

Cameron needs to find a spark to get them going and have more cohesion

Thats on cameron

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Exactly

Thats on cameron

Mostly the same players, yeah.

But Hoffman and Lazar are injured.

And Neil is playing every night.

Those are the 2 main differences.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
While I agree that Karlsson needs to be better if we want to succeed, what does that say about the rest of our blueline?

Good teams are not reliant on one player to drive their entire back end. We shouldn't have to expect Norris-caliber seasons from the guy every year, year after year, in order to just make the playoffs.

Oh, I'm on board with those who wish that Wideman swap in and Weircoch out. I think we get a pretty big bump from that, as well as the side effect of moving Boro back to his correct side.

I'm just pointing out the real difference between the team we're seeing now, vs the one that looked so good down the stretch last year.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Agreed.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wideman

I laughed more than I should have at this last part.

I think there can be a general consensus that your D pairing suggestions are exactly what needs to happen.

Exactly

Thats on cameron

Well, he yells a lot and skated the crap out of them the other day. Maybe it's wearing thin already. I doubt it, though.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Neil playing 7-8 minutes every night against the opposition's worst line probably has a 1% correlation to the final score.

Saying Chris Neil is a major part of why we are not good is like saying a faulty hinge on a glove box was a major part of a car crash.

BigZKingK

Mar 4, 2012
Mostly the same players, yeah.

But Hoffman and Lazar are injured.

And Mac we are missing 2 top 6 player... Our offence will be fine we need to fix the D thought

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Anyone see the stat that was posted?

Karlsson on ice, shots were 20-16 in favor of Ottawa.

Karlsson off ice shots were 36-15 for Calgary.

Wiercioch and that 3rd pairing are atrocious.

Something appears wrong with these numbers.

Ottawa allowed 38 shots, according to how I read your data Ottawa gave up 52 shots.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Neil playing 7-8 minutes every night against the opposition's worst line probably has a 1% correlation to the final score.

Saying Chris Neil is a major part of why we are not good is like saying a faulty hinge on a glove box was a major part of a car crash.

Haha I wasn't saying that...

Was just pointing out a difference between the now team and the Cinderella team.

I do think though that having someone else in Neil's spot would allow us to roll our 4th line for more than 7-8 mins a night, and that that would be a good thing.

1st year of his 3 year deal. He's on the books until the 2018 offseason.

Ouch.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good win last night but yeah defense is something our team needs to improve upon. Even if it means trading Zibanejad or Lazar to get 1.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Since I watch games on replay now, I guess I'll always be late to these conversations, but without spending time reading the back pages of this thread, was I the only one who thought Chiasson had a pretty good game?

I've been hard on the guy this year, but credit where credit is due. This was one of his good ones. Not a classic from him or anything, but consistently positive shifts and an overall positive effect on the game. Definitely a breath of fresh air from most of his other games this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad