Proposal: Calgary - New Jersey (Markstrom and Hanifin to NJ)

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
To New Jersey:
Jacob Markstrom
Noah Hanifin

To Calgary:
Alexander Holtz
Jonas Siegenthaler
Graeme Clarke
2024 1st round pick (If this pick goes to SJS, moves to 2025 1st, and the conditional 2025 1st moves to 2026)
2025 conditional 2nd round pick (If NJ advances to SCF in either 2024 or 2025, this pick becomes a 2025 1st)
Vitek Vanecek
Chase Stillman

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
To New Jersey:
Jacob Markstrom
Noah Hanifin

To Calgary:
Alexander Holtz
Jonas Siegenthaler
Graeme Clarke
2024 1st round pick (If this pick goes to SJS, moves to 2025 1st, and the conditional 2025 1st moves to 2026)
2025 conditional 2nd round pick (If NJ advances to SCF in either 2024 or 2025, this pick becomes a 2025 1st)
Vitek Vanecek
Chase Stillman
Close in terms of value. How about both of them and our 2024 1st round pick for Nemec?

Reactions: SnipeNCelly

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
To New Jersey:
Jacob Markstrom
Noah Hanifin

To Calgary:
Alexander Holtz
Jonas Siegenthaler
Graeme Clarke
Vitek Vanecek
Chase Stillman
way too much make it simpler

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This. Why would the Devils want Hanifin? They have Hamilton, Hughes and Nemec.
Because, as the Devils are finding out, it takes time before Hughes and Nemec can be trusted to drive the ship. No different than when Tampa already had Sergachev, but went out and acquired McDonagh.

The team is built to win now up front. It’s going to be 2-3 years before either young dman is fully up to speed. Hanifin makes that transition much easier for those two.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Because, as the Devils are finding out, it takes time before Hughes and Nemec can be trusted to drive the ship. No different than when Tampa already had Sergachev, but went out and acquired McDonagh.

The team is built to win now up front. It’s going to be 2-3 years before either young dman is fully up to speed. Hanifin makes that transition much easier for those two.

But how would they make it only be a 2-3 year transition? Hanifin is now where Severson and Graves were last year - headed to a free agent summer where some team will offer huge money and term, and the Devils don’t want to commit to huge money and term - if they did they’d have kept Graves or Severson.

If Hanifin would take a medium term extension? Sure. But he won’t. Just like Graves and Severson wouldn’t last year. These players who reach UFA are looking for payday with term as is their right. And since some other team would offer that, and NJ won’t, this isn’t a match.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I'd say that those two in particular haven't been nearly as much of a problem as Bahl and the guys above them not carrying their weight (Siegs and Hamilton not being healthy and Marino has had a rough year). Obviously they have had to play harder minutes than was intended before all the injuries hit, so there have been some hiccups, but nothing so bad that I would give up real assets to correct for half a year in a season where they may not even make the playoffs.

Hanafin would be the exact type I would not go after right now given I think the season is in the toilet. I would not target a rental at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: hidek91

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
But how would they make it only be a 2-3 year transition? Hanifin is now where Severson and Graves were last year - headed to a free agent summer where some team will offer huge money and term, and the Devils don’t want to commit to huge money and term - if they did they’d have kept Graves or Severson.

If Hanifin would take a medium term extension? Sure. But he won’t. Just like Graves and Severson wouldn’t last year. These players who reach UFA are looking for payday with term as is their right. And since some other team would offer that, and NJ won’t, this isn’t a match.
Nobody’s really trading for Hanifin as a rental. He’d be there for years, like McDonagh was in Tampa. Obviously at some point, they’ll run into cap issues, but that’s part of being a top team.

If they nickel and dime their D-Core right now, they’ll just be wasting years. I don’t disagree with not paying Graves and Severson, but Hanifin changes things.

Reactions: Bone Density

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Nobody’s really trading for Hanifin as a rental. He’d be there for years, like McDonagh was in Tampa. Obviously at some point, they’ll run into cap issues, but that’s part of being a top team.

If they nickel and dime their D-Core right now, they’ll just be wasting years. I don’t disagree with not paying Graves and Severson, but Hanifin changes things.
so we trade Holtz and a first so we can have another 8-9 million dollar defenseman for the next 8 years. If we aren't trading him for a rental why not just wait until the summer and try to sign him for free.

I have zero interest in signing another $8-9 million dollar defenseman. And outside of Palat, our forwards aren't just built to win now. They can win now, but they can also win 2-6 years from now while they are all still under contract

I only have interest in Markstrom and even that is little. BUt even then we aren' t a contendor this year and Markstrom is 35 next year. I would rather a younger goalie.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Devils can't add two expensive pieces at the expense of cheap depth. We need to fix our problems more creatively rather than adding expensive pieces a'la Meier, Palat or Hamilton.

Reactions: TBF1972

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Holy overpay batman. Hanifin is worth the 1st and the 2nd imo, and I'm not even sure Markstrom is that far into positive value at this point for this contract.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
This is not the direction the Devils should be going right now. Hanifin is great but, I wouldn't want to sign him to the deal he's going to get. Him plus Hamilton could end up being very ugly cap wise.
I'd be all for trading for Markstrom in the offseason though, but not for the pieces being traded here.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
This is not the direction the Devils should be going right now. Hanifin is great but, I wouldn't want to sign him to the deal he's going to get. Him plus Hamilton could end up being very ugly cap wise.
I'd be all for trading for Markstrom in the offseason though, but not for the pieces being traded here.
Going to be a while them before this D can contend for a cup. As good as Nemec and Luke are they won't carry this team for 2 more seasons

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia

Mcdonaugh played another 4 seasons with TBL, if hanafin is signing he’s getting 7. Nemec and Hughes are both going to get big contracts, hanafin will be a hindrance to the development of at least one of them

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Holy overpay batman. Hanifin is worth the 1st and the 2nd imo, and I'm not even sure Markstrom is that far into positive value at this point for this contract.

With the way most starting goalies have performed this year, a goalie 4th in GSAA is definitely into positive value. And considering the Flames don't need to trade him, like at all, the offer would have to make it worth their while.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
To New Jersey:
Jacob Markstrom
Noah Hanifin

To Calgary:
Alexander Holtz
Jonas Siegenthaler
Graeme Clarke
Vitek Vanecek
Chase Stillman
I admit, I almost admire how persistent you are on making absolutely horrible moves for a team you're a fan of... almost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad