Proposal: Calgary-Florida

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
except, prospects ARE valuable despite the quintessential HF “its a prospect not a proven NHLer” anytime something like this is brought up. It’s a flat cap world, Florida has guys to re-sign, and it probably doesn’t make sense to take on Monahan’s contract and years when there are potential options, and Zito can find a guy in FA possibly who, while maybe not being as good as Monahan, won’t cost Lundell, etc.
Yep: we are competing more next year and year after that so risky Lundell plus 5M is worth more to us :)

Ledge And Dairy

What does me watching Flames games have to do with how awful the Duchesne trade was and how that’s not the price for most guys in the league. I’ve watched a few since you’ve asked, but I also know Florida has to re-sign Barkov and Huberdeau n the next couple years and still has areas to improve. This isn’t the make it or break it year.
Duchene probably was a bit of an overpay, that doesn't make OP's offer fair. Florida takes the OP offer in a heartbeat since it's a complete fleece, they worry about resigns later

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
The difference between a retool and rebuild is development of players. Retool to acquire already developed players who only need to settle in and aim for a short turnaround towards contention. What you have proposed in the OP is a rebuild which is at least several seasons away as it involves acquiring players who require development. Again, I have no issues with the concepts you propose, but your trade ideas are always seemingly way off or are in contradiction to the statement you make as to the the reasoning for your trade. Your ideas are fine, but your trade proposals are again horrific and illogical.

Your quoted comment is completely incorrect. No Flames fans needs to talk to Brad directly to know a rebuild is not in the cards right now. Sutter and Treliving have both mentioned playoff mandates for 2021 and onwards. Your initial wording of retool was right. Your trade proposal is not a retool type trade proposal. Futhermore, one of the greatest issues that the Flames have is that they have enough star talent on good contracts, but need super star/top tier talent. We need to do quantity for quality trades, not the other way around as you have proposed.

The selling low of Calgary assets to Florida doesn't make much sense at the moment. While I get that you're trying to do a one step back for two steps forward next year, your trade isn't that type of trade. I get that you also targeted Florida because they need a centre. However, I think Florida needs a rental, not a guy with term. I think the two aren't good trading partners, at least not based on the current basis as outlined in your OP.

I honestly think you're sleeping on the impact Denisenko will have in the next two-years. Middle-6 scoring RW who is young and skilled. The 1st will take a while to develop for sure, but the reality is our core is not ready this year or next year. Nobody we can get is going to make us a contender in the next year or 2. Only way we can be a contender is if we re-tool and set a goal to be good in around 3 years

Vinman88

Aug 3, 2018
Not close.

Lundell or f off.
You sound angry, maybe have your flamers draft better prospects aye? Lundell will stay in FL, and might be included in playoffs in a few months. Anyhoo, how boot them Atlanta Flames aye? Maybe Gary Roberts will return.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
This is terrible, might as well trade Backlund, Gio, Marky, Tanev, Ryan before even thinking about retooling, you take Monahan off this team and who replaces his scoring? ... Lindholm ? You always try pushing Monahan out for nothing, look at the last few top 6 C's to be traded... not a rental deal, Duchene, Schenn,RoR would be better comparisons for trades

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
If Florida could make the salary work, I don't see us passing. But I think Calgary could get better value elsewhere if they are trading Monahan.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
not a chance.

don’t see this happening, at least not without salary leaving in Stralman or Connolly. Wouldn’t mind Monahan, but that’s a lot of cap to take on with Barkov coming up for a raise.
If Calgary offered this I'd do it, and I like Denisenko and consider myself a "pick hoarder".
Monahan is signed until 2023; that overlaps with Barkov's contract but ends at the same time as Huberdeau's. It'd be a bit tight but it's doable. We lose him to FA in a couple years, which sucks, but in the meantime he fills our biggest roster hole and gives Lundell time to grow into his role.

That said, if Calgary's trading Monahan, they'd want a center back IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad