Proposal: Calgary-Florida

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
To Florida:
Sean Monahan

To Calgary:
Grigori Denisenko
2021 1st (FLA - Lottery protected on the off-chance Florida goes cold and misses playoffs)
Markus Nutivaara (small cap dump)

Calgary kicks off the re-tool we so desperately need, Florida adds a top-6 C with term. I am a big Denisenko fan and feel like he has all the tools to be a legit top-6 scoring RW. Adding a late 1st, Denisenko, and ~4 mil in cap will do wonders for kickstarting our re-tool and if Florida is planning to buy this is a much better use of a 1st+prospect than just a rental and Monahan is a proven to be a ~50+ point scoring C.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
To Florida:
Sean Monahan

To Calgary:
Grigori Denisenko
2021 1st (FLA - Lottery protected on the off-chance Florida goes cold and misses playoffs)

Calgary kicks off the re-tool we so desperately need, Florida adds a top-6 C with term. I am a big Denisenko fan and feel like he has all the tools to be a legit top-6 scoring RW. Adding a late 1st, Denisenko, and ~4 mil in cap will do wonders for kickstarting our re-tool and if Florida is planning to buy this is a much better use of a 1st+prospect than just a rental and Monahan is a proven to be a ~50+ point scoring C.
To me this signals a total rebuild in Calgary. I also don't see a rebuild with the age and contracts of many of the Flames core players. I would also be reluctant to move a top 6 center without a replacement in the system or coming back in the deal.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yeah, maybe if it was good center prospect coming back as well but unless Gaudreau is returning a center this a rebuild move

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I think CGY should go in a rebuild and trade Monahan and Gaudreau. Taking back a bad contract will help them get more back. I am not a Flamer fan, I am an Oiler fan. An other player with an expiring contract trade them with retention for best return.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
To me this signals a total rebuild in Calgary. I also don't see a rebuild with the age and contracts of many of the Flames core players. I would also be reluctant to move a top 6 center without a replacement in the system or coming back in the deal.
To me it's 100% rebuild time. Or at least re-tool. Unless other GM's still think its 2019 and are offering top-6 C's+ for Monahan, imo we're better off selling him for a legit return of futures and replacing him via FA. It is definitely a re-tool move but not even a rebuild. We still have quality pieces throughout the roster, just need to eliminate the pieces that don't fit and maximizing value of our assets.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think CGY should go in a rebuild and trade Monahan and Gaudreau. Taking back a bad contract will help them get more back. I am not a Flamer fan, I am an Oiler fan. An other player with an expiring contract trade them with retention for best return.
We Flames fans know we probably should since the core isn’t working out. However, management disagrees. They didn’t employ Sutter to go through a rebuild.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Flames signing Marky and Tanev to term is win now move. They won’t trade a top minute player for futures. If Monahan moves it will be for a similar guy. Not saying Duchene or RJ, but that kind of player.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
To Florida:
Sean Monahan

To Calgary:
Grigori Denisenko

Not a chance.

Calgary isn't going into a rebuild. They just brought in Markstrom, Tanev, and Sutter, all on multi year contracts. The main issue with the team is that Mohahan and Gaudreau are not producing enough. So the solution is to downgrade on Monahan? I think Monahan may be moved shortly. However, what's coming back won't be someone with "all the tools". It'll be someone actually producing in the NHL right now.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Let’s trade a top 6 center without a center coming back, sounds like a genius plan
I mean, ya when was the last time a team traded a top-6 C that doesn't fit on his team for a return that improved their roster? Max Domi twice? Jeff Carter? Mike Richards? This isn't a Ryan O'Reilly trade lol, this is a potential Brassard for Zibanejad. Monahan is not someone like ROR or Dubois that have 1C potential being wasted. We have given Monahan every single opportunity, and we aren't going to find a team stupid enough to give up a similar C. We either stick with Monahan and continue to be average or take a risk on a blue-chip prospect and 1st. There's no ideal C coming back in a Monahan deal unless you wanna believe a team like LA or BUF or MIN would give up their legit top-6 potential C prospects for Monahan, which they 10000% won't lol

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Cool! No trade then, works for us. Not sure how Florida will make the playoffs on one injured Centre.

pretty sure a Florida fan didn’t make this thread, and Barkov is an “injured center” after missing one game and suddenly we aren’t making the playoffs? Lol ok pettiness.

read above and you’ll see I don’t want Monahan and the reasons why, but hope ya feel better.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I mean, ya when was the last time a team traded a top-6 C that doesn't fit on his team for a return that improved their roster? Max Domi twice? Jeff Carter? Mike Richards? This isn't a Ryan O'Reilly trade lol, this is a potential Brassard for Zibanejad. Monahan is not someone like ROR or Dubois that have 1C potential being wasted. We have given Monahan every single opportunity, and we aren't going to find a team stupid enough to give up a similar C. We either stick with Monahan and continue to be average or take a risk on a blue-chip prospect and 1st. There's no ideal C coming back in a Monahan deal unless you wanna believe a team like LA or BUF or MIN would give up their legit top-6 potential C prospects for Monahan, which they 10000% won't lol
So then why would Florida? Lundell is also a top 6 C potential prospect, and he looks to be the heir to the 2C position to make a great Finnish 1-2 punch.

Reactions: Schemp

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Not a chance.

Calgary isn't going into a rebuild. They just brought in Markstrom, Tanev, and Sutter, all on multi year contracts. The main issue with the team is that Mohahan and Gaudreau are not producing enough. So the solution is to downgrade on Monahan? I think Monahan may be moved shortly. However, what's coming back won't be someone with "all the tools". It'll be someone actually producing in the NHL right now.
Ohhhh you're right actually I just talked to Brad and he said we aren't going to rebuild. Oh wait actually none of us did because we're literally 1 year away from Gaudreau walking and our captain retiring and then having to fully rebuild lol. Who knows what Brad's plan is? All i Know for sure is that trading Monahan for a haul of futures does not signify 'burn the house down rebuild', it signifies acknowledging he isn't a fit with this core and that our true core (Lindy, Chucky, Hanifin, Rasmus/Vali, Mang/Dube) needs better support for when we actually are competitive in 2-3 years. People being like 'Monahan will be moved, but for a replacement C who is already productive', I'd love to hear what player you have in mind? Max Domi? Lol. Duchene? Couture? Danault? lol. We're better off taking chances on great blue-chip prospects that are RH and have clear top-6 potential and are on their ELC's, plus picks and prospects and cap space to replace Monahan in the summer imo.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
pretty sure a Florida fan didn’t make this thread, and Barkov is an “injured center” after missing one game and suddenly we aren’t making the playoffs? Lol ok pettiness.

read above and you’ll see I don’t want Monahan and the reasons why, but hope ya feel better.

Lol sorry for other Flames fans being salty. We're literally a lottery team and he's saying 'idk how you're gonna win in the playoffs with an injured C'. Just embarrassing for us.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
So then why would Florida? Lundell is also a top 6 C potential prospect, and he looks to be the heir to the 2C position to make a great Finnish 1-2 punch.
Well that's why I targeted Denisenko and not Lundell because that would just be ridiculous of Florida lol.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
To me it's 100% rebuild time. Or at least re-tool. Unless other GM's still think its 2019 and are offering top-6 C's+ for Monahan, imo we're better off selling him for a legit return of futures and replacing him via FA. It is definitely a re-tool move but not even a rebuild. We still have quality pieces throughout the roster, just need to eliminate the pieces that don't fit and maximizing value of our assets.
I'm not arguing with you - I think the Flames could use a shake up but in the current climate (flat cap for the foreseeable future, cash flow concerns) this will be very difficult. I don't think there are a lot of teams looking to increase their salary by over $6million without sending cap and cash back, but top 6 C is difficult to find so to send Monahan out you will be taking back lesser players to balance cap, and future pieces that won't help the team in the next 2 seasons. The next 2 seasons the Flames have the following under contract (some even longer) - Gaudreau (27, 1 more year then UFA), Backlund (32, 3 more seasons and a NTC), Lucic (32, 2 more seasons and a NMC), Gio (37, 1 more year before UFA), Tanev (31, 3 more seasons and a NTC), Markstrom (31, 5 more seasons and a NMC). Trading Monahan for futures then puts these players into a difficult rebuild situation and players over 30 are losing value around the league due to high contracts and decreasing production. Feels like the 2014 Canucks that knew they should be rebuilding, but thought they owed it to the Sedins to try to be competitive so they wasted years and assets trying to limp the team along. I don't envy the Flames position and understand the frustration.

Reactions: Nightrain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad