Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I'd love to have either Reinhart or Ekblad really. I'm gonna wait to state my opinion until the year is over, we know where we are drafting and we see how our own guys already in our system have developed.

I'm usually on the side of BPA, but NFL teams always draft by team need and don't have a problem with it, usually. Our biggest hole is on D, specifically a potential #1 dman, I wouldn't be sad at all if we targeted one this draft. But I wanna know where we are drafting and who's available first. I don't think we'll win the lotto either.

NFL teams can draft by need because their teams are gigantic and the talent spread is huge. Their first two rounds is equivalent to like our top 10. Also unless its a QB pick, no one player is going to make an huge difference in the long run.

I'm a HUGE fan of Virtanen, I've had the pleasure of seeing him quite a few times in recent years. The guy is fast, slick hands with dangles and he hits and he is ridiculously strong on his skates.

The coming draft is forward heavy and less so on defenders outside of Ekblad.

Last edited:

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I also think its worth trading away a few forwards this year and again stack ourselves for the draft. We could take a forward and two defensemen in the top 60 and hopefully build ourselves a winning franchise in a few years time.

See, it's nice to say this kind of thing, but right now I don't think we have a lot of trading power unless we ship of all of our veterans, (which will definitely guarantee us McDavid next year), but the Flames don't play that kind of game and thus we are going to draft somewhere in the 10-15 range and keep being mediocre forever.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
See, it's nice to say this kind of thing, but right now I don't think we have a lot of trading power unless we ship of all of our veterans, (which will definitely guarantee us McDavid next year), but the Flames don't play that kind of game and thus we are going to draft somewhere in the 10-15 range and keep being mediocre forever.

Stajan, Cammy, and Stempniak can be traded since they're pending UFAs and can be rentals. Yes, they bring a lot, but if they can't be resigned then they'll likely be moved.

We can get some future pieces like prospects or picks to fill voids in our cupboards. We can look at over paying for some UFAs in the summer and simply go through the motions of the rebuild. Although, Feaster didn't over pay this past summer, so who knows.

If the goal is ultimately for Agostino, Hanowski, Poirer, Monahan, Berra, Klimchuck and these type of players to replace the core players we once had, then I assume it hasn't changed when we trade away any more veteran players.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
It's a difficult decision because Reinhart is probably the best in this draft and we have his brother which could make for an interesting brother story, however I agree with a few people here that we already have a lot of forward prospects but almost no legitimate D prospect other than Seiloff and Wotherspoon. If I had the choice I would take Ekblad

Aug 3, 2010
I really wonder what Weisbrod's thoughts are on this topic.

Heck, even if some of it is relatively useless drivel, I wish that I could have him read the thread and pick his brain about the topic afterwards.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It's a difficult decision because Reinhart is probably the best in this draft and we have his brother which could make for an interesting brother story, however I agree with a few people here that we already have a lot of forward prospects but almost no legitimate D prospect other than Seiloff and Wotherspoon. If I had the choice I would take Ekblad

Yes but what are the odds that Calgary will even get the 1st overall anyways? Right now, Buffalo and Edmonton are the two worst teams in the league (considering games played), so Reinhart isn't even in the running. If Calgary gets a top 5 pick, they should be looking at best defenseman in the draft, and then best player available.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
What do you think we would have to give up for Griffin Reinhart? Cammy (half salary)+2nd? Cause I really wanna see all 3 Reinharts play for us

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What do you think we would have to give up for Griffin Reinhart? Cammy (half salary)+2nd? Cause I really wanna see all 3 Reinharts play for us

:facepalm:

How can Calgary fix the draft? As soon as Buffalo or Edmonton win the first overall (Reinhart), then what? Live with 2 out 3 brothers?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Unless we get a horrible string of injuries I just don't see how we're going to be worse than Buffalo right now. Myers looks lost and they need a lot of forward help

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't see why we are arguing about who we are going to pick when

A) We have no idea where we are going to finish

B) There is always at least 1 late riser (Drouin last year)

C) We are actually winning hockey games and shouldn't be hoping for either Reinhart or Ekblad without one dropping.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't see why we are arguing about who we are going to pick when

A) We have no idea where we are going to finish

B) There is always at least 1 late riser (Drouin last year)

C) We are actually winning hockey games and shouldn't be hoping for either Reinhart or Ekblad without one dropping.

Yeah but there's still huge holes in our team. What would you suggest, trading away our 2 first round picks to get 2 top 4 defenseman, only to have Cammy, Stajan, and Stemper (and whatever rentals) potentially walk in free agency?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yeah but there's still huge holes in our team. What would you suggest, trading away our 2 first round picks to get 2 top 4 defenseman, only to have Cammy, Stajan, and Stemper (and whatever rentals) potentially walk in free agency?

I don't see how some people see it as either you prepare for the future or you win now. We could simply not move our picks and wait and see where we are at the deadline.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Ideally, yeah I'd love Ekblad. But a close family friend who is a ref in the WHL says that Reinhart is one of the smartest players he's seen in the WHL in years. When we're building a team that plays smart, hard and skilled, and a player fits that mold, you take him.

That being said, as it stands, I personally only have two other defensemen in my top 20 right now besides Ekblad. The first round is really forward heavy. It's likely to change over the course of the year, as it always does.

However, ideally if we're not likely to make the playoffs, and the trade deadline roles around I'd hope we can get the following returns.

Stajan= 2nd+
Stempniak=2nd+ (maybe even a late first, if he stays hot all year. Praying for it lol)
Cammy=1st. I stand by that I think he can get that at the deadline.
Jackman=4th/5th
Butler=4th/5th (I hope)
MacDonald=7th

So load up on 2nd's and late round picks and grab as many project defense as you can. Hell, if the right offer comes along, trade a late first if we get one for multiple 2nds. As pointed out earlier in this thread, a ton of solid defensemen have been drafted in the 2nd round. Grab as many Sieloffs/Wotherspoons/Roys as you can and pray.

Also, can't remember who said it, but Hanowski as a projected top six forward? Really?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't see how some people see it as either you prepare for the future or you win now. We could simply not move our picks and wait and see where we are at the deadline.

Its not. I guess its just that the Flames have been winning their way out of a good pick for so long -- without actually winning anything else -- that continuing this model doesn't seem appealing.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Its not. I guess its just that the Flames have been winning their way out of a good pick for so long -- without actually winning anything else -- that continuing this model doesn't seem appealing.

Lets wait and see how Feaster's pick work out so far Sven was great at 14 and I wouldn't complain about getting another Sven.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Lets wait and see how Feaster's pick work out so far Sven was great at 14 and I wouldn't complain about getting another Sven.

Well its easy to cherry pick a player like Baertschi. But Jankowski, Erixon, Backlund and all of our other 1st rounders in the middle of the pack throughout the history of the draft tells a different story. Law of averages?

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
The only teams I feel certain we'll be better than are the Sabres, Cats and Oilers. After that it depends on whether Philly, NYR, Devils, Jets, Stars, Preds, Sens and Caps pick it up or fall off from where they are right now. Very hard to project this season. Too many teams who are worse off than they really should be.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well its easy to cherry pick a player like Baertschi. But Jankowski, Erixon, Backlund and all of our other 1st rounders in the middle of the pack throughout the history of the draft tells a different story. Law of averages?

Janko is doing very well how can you judge him yet? And the others weren't under this management team.

Looking at what we have done under Feaster I am optimistic about where ever we draft we don't need a top 3 pick to be a good team.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Janko is doing very well how can you judge him yet? And the others weren't under this management team.

Looking at what we have done under Feaster I am optimistic about where ever we draft we don't need a top 3 pick to be a good team.

I like Jankowski but I'm talking about the history of the draft? Are you suggesting that Feaster is defying the math laws?

I like how Feaster's picks have progressed too. Thus far Ramo, Monahan and Baertschi have all been good selections. And I'm not talking about being a good team, I'm talking about being a great team. Right now the Flames are a good team, but there's obvious holes that will realistically keep the Flames from winning through the stretches and winning in the playoffs.

The thread is about the 2014 draft and who we want. Why wouldn't I want the best player in the draft, given the thread?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Janko seems to be following the same development path of Colborne, both seem to have relatively the same skillsets as well. Big, can skate, good upper end skill. Can score at lower levels.

The problem that plagued Colborne was intensity and inability to find the "next gear" as they said in Toronto. So the defining difference is whether or not Janko can find his "next gear" which would make him a better prospect than Colborne.

For reference, Janko is currently 5 points in 5 games with 4 goals, so he is off to a good start.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I like Jankowski but I'm talking about the history of the draft? Are you suggesting that Feaster is defying the math laws?

I like how Feaster's picks have progressed too. Thus far Ramo, Monahan and Baertschi have all been good selections. And I'm not talking about being a good team, I'm talking about being a great team. Right now the Flames are a good team, but there's obvious holes that will realistically keep the Flames from winning through the stretches and winning in the playoffs.

The thread is about the 2014 draft and who we want. Why wouldn't I want the best player in the draft, given the thread?

My point was there is no point in arguing between Reinhart and Ekblad as we most likely won't have the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad