Speculation: Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
This is a little off topic but I have no idea why Edmonton wouldn't be seriously considering trading down for Ritchie. They've been wanting size and skill for years, and were prepared last summer to throw crazy money at Clarkson.
That said I wouldn't be opposed to taking Ritchie with our pick granted none of the top 3 fall. Draisaitl and Dal Colle are better all around but with guys like Backlund, Sven, Guadreau, and Klimchuck in our top 6 size is going to become a pressing need. If Ritchie is given good training and can prove he can consistently show up then we have a massive and very skilled right wing prospect which is almost entirely what the organization needs.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
This is a little off topic but I have no idea why Edmonton wouldn't be seriously considering trading down for Ritchie. They've been wanting size and skill for years, and were prepared last summer to throw crazy money at Clarkson.
That said I wouldn't be opposed to taking Ritchie with our pick granted none of the top 3 fall. Draisaitl and Dal Colle are better all around but with guys like Backlund, Sven, Guadreau, and Klimchuck in our top 6 size is going to become a pressing need. If Ritchie is given good training and can prove he can consistently show up then we have a massive and very skilled right wing prospect which is almost entirely what the organization needs.

At the same time, though, Ritchie has question marks defensively and question marks regarding his consistency, which are the two biggest issues with Edmonton right now. I think he would be a poor choice for the organization - they would be best suited with Ekblad, Reinhart or Draisaitl.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

1) Because they also have massive holes down the middle and on defense. And they happen to be at a spot where they're guaranteed a chance to potentially fill one of those holes with a superior talent.

2) Most GM's are aware that drafting based on need is pretty quick way to earn a reputation as a terrible drafter. It's not a complicated concept - the problem is immediate; the solution, if it even is a solution, is most often years away. Most GM's don't have the luxury of waiting years until their draft picks pan out.

3) When rebuilding a team, the wing should be the last priority. It's generally the easiest position to address, which shouldn't be a surprise given that wingers are the most abundant type of player on a team. Once the goaltending, defense and centre situation have been adequately addressed, then the focus turns to the wing.

4) Whatever one wants to say about the Oilers, they've consistently drafted BPA in recent years. Frankly, it's the only logical way to conduct affairs, particularly in the first round.

To quote:
“Take the best player available,†he said. “You can always rearrange the furniture later.â€

JulianHopper*

The problem for the Oilers and trading down is that the team they're trading with would have to give up to much. Any of the top 6 players this year could end up the best player in the draft.

Why would a team picking in the top 6 give up a roster player as well as another pick just to pick a player in the same group that's equal or less then what they're already guaranteed to pick.

The only way it would work is if the picks and players that Edmonton got would have to be future picks like next year and the year after.

I don't see how it would benefit a team like the Flames to make that trade with Edmonton. The Flames also may as well be picking 3rd as it's the Oilers and who knows what move they will make, could be a good player falling into the Flames lap so to speak.

The other option is if their is a third team involved such as what Burke did with the Sedins in that trade where it was Bryan McCabe he traded.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Just give me Bennett. Please. AAHH GOD!!I have a bad feeling the Oilers take him. Draisaitl would be good too though.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Ah you know what? I'm not going to worry about it any more. There will be a good player at 4. Bennett seems like a winner though.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I think I'm even more excited for the movement of players than I am for the draft itself.

Great day for Flames fans that will be for sure.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm stumped as well :help:

The only major factor I can think up is Bennett has better skating, but Draisaitl has size, and strength.

They both have super high skill tool boxes. I am leaning towards Bennett but then I think about Draisaitl and how much hes like Kopitar and I drool at the thought. :laugh:

Haha I took the day off but I'll be stuck in a car going to a family reunion.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
The only major factor I can think up is Bennett has better skating, but Draisaitl has size, and strength.

They both have super high skill tool boxes. I am leaning towards Bennett but then I think about Draisaitl and how much hes like Kopitar and I drool at the thought. :laugh:

+1 there man. Everyone is assuming we scoop Bennett but I am almost on the fence thinking I would rather have Draisaitl. He could be an absolute steal at 4. Either way super excited.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
Would anyone here be opposed to trying to get Toronto's pick to scoop up Ritchie as well? I know everyone loves Giordano but what if we offered Gio to Toronto for the 8th overall pick and Jake Gardinier? Gio is a Toronto boy so he would love the trade as well I bet. So we lose Gio but we gain Draisatl, Ritchie, Gardinier! I would be extremely happy with that for a rebuild year. Tank one more year to get top pick again then I bet we would compete on regular basis again. By that time Gio will be 34 and nearing end of career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad