Speculation: Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
As much as Benning or some other Gm would like to make a big splash and acquire the first overall pick, I doubt any would increase their offers to the point where Tallon would be stupid not to accept.

I agree, I hope Tallon keeps the pick and takes Ekblad. Such a scenario provides the Flames their most likely chance of drafting Reinhart short of trading for first overall themselves. Most likely though, the Sabres will take Reinhart while the Oilers take Draisaitl leaving the Flames Bennett, which wouldn't be bad at all.

I agree, I think Florida keeps the pick and drafts Ekblad, and we get Bennett at the end of the day. That said, it would not be a shock if Bennett went to Buffalo and we got Reinhart.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly I'd totally pass on Ho Sang at this point. We already have enough smallish, skilled wingers like him. Gimme some Dougherty, McKeown, Glover or even Hunter Smith over Ho Sang. And TBH, that's the direction I see the Flames going as well.

My 1st preference is Reinhart, please baby Jesus let him fall to us!!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Honestly I'd totally pass on Ho Sang at this point. We already have enough smallish, skilled wingers like him. Gimme some Dougherty, McKeown, Glover or even Hunter Smith over Ho Sang. And TBH, that's the direction I see the Flames going as well.

My 1st preference is Reinhart, please baby Jesus let him fall to us!!

I don't like Glover, or Hunter Smith (bottom 6 ceiling? blegh) enough - given the scouting reports on them - to prefer them over Ho-Sang. If it's McKeown or Sanheim, then I'd be down with them over Ho-Sang in a second (Dougherty vs Ho-Sang I'd consider a coinflip).

Yes, the Flames need D prospects and bigger players don't hurt, but if you have the opportunity to get a guy with top line skill in the 2nd round, warts included, I don't think you can pass it up. Plus, they do still need RWs as well.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Glover's game didn't progress as much as scouts thought this year and many defensemen have passed him by. Don't like Smith either, feel he will end up being goon at NHL level - if he makes it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't like Glover, or Hunter Smith (bottom 6 ceiling? blegh) enough - given the scouting reports on them - to prefer them over Ho-Sang. If it's McKeown or Sanheim, then I'd be down with them over Ho-Sang in a second (Dougherty vs Ho-Sang I'd consider a coinflip).

Yes, the Flames need D prospects and bigger players don't hurt, but if you have the opportunity to get a guy with top line skill in the 2nd round, warts included, I don't think you can pass it up. Plus, they do still need RWs as well.

I prefer Sanheim over Glover to, but I'd take a complete pass on Ho Sang unless it's in the 3rd or 4th round. I just feel like he would be a waste of a pick. We have better winger options in Gaudreau, Baertschi, Poirier, Reinhart, Granlund and Klimchuk already. He'll never make the NHL in a bottom 6 role, and I'd rather take a player who offers us something we lack. I don't think Smith will be a goon, but if he can turn into a Clifford or Dwight King type of player, then I'm all for that. Smith is more than a goon, he does have some offensive ability, and if we passed on Ritchie, I'd be happy to take him over Ho Sang.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I just noticed Sam Bennett's birthday is 20 June 1996, making him the youngest of the top four. Kind of interesting that despite that hes still considered to be the top prospect in the draft by some. I was going along the assumption he would be a candidate to play third line center if he proved himself, but now I'm thinking hes better off with another season in junior. The plot thickens... this draft has to happen shortly or i'll go insane.:laugh:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I prefer Sanheim over Glover to, but I'd take a complete pass on Ho Sang unless it's in the 3rd or 4th round. I just feel like he would be a waste of a pick. We have better winger options in Gaudreau, Baertschi, Poirier, Reinhart, Granlund and Klimchuk already. He'll never make the NHL in a bottom 6 role, and I'd rather take a player who offers us something we lack. I don't think Smith will be a goon, but if he can turn into a Clifford or Dwight King type of player, then I'm all for that. Smith is more than a goon, he does have some offensive ability, and if we passed on Ritchie, I'd be happy to take him over Ho Sang.

None of the players you mentioned is sure thing. It doesnt hurt to add skills. It's not like the Flames are overflowing with it. :laugh:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
1/4:​

Option 1: Sam Reinhart
Option 2: Sam Bennett
Option 3: Leon Draisaitl

2/34:​

Option 1: Jack Dougherty
Option 2: Eric Cornel
Option 3: Roland McKeown

2/54:​

Option 1: Ryan Collins
Option 2: Jack Glover
Option 3: Anthony DeAngleo

3/64:​

Option 1: Nick Magyar
Option 2: Ben Thomas
Option 3: Kelly Summers

3/83:​

Option 1: Kaapo Kahkonen
Option 2: Keegan Iverson
Option 3: Rourke Chartier

6/175:​

Option 1: Ivan Nikolishin
Option 2: Radel Fazleev
Option 3: Daniel Muzito Bagenda

7/184:​

Option 1: Tanner Faith
Option 2: Joe Hicketts
Option 3: Chase Lang

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Atta' boy Gillies. I'd like to add that Mayo could probably be another option in the 54th OA spot.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
None of the players you mentioned is sure thing. It doesnt hurt to add skills. It's not like the Flames are overflowing with it. :laugh:

I guess I'm just not overly impressed with Ho Sang. He needs to be a top 6 player in the NHL, and I just don't see anything in his game that is more impressive than Baertschi, Gaudreau, Klimchuk or Poirier. I think we have more pressing needs, TBH I would rather take Deangelo over him.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I guess I'm just not overly impressed with Ho Sang. He needs to be a top 6 player in the NHL, and I just don't see anything in his game that is more impressive than Baertschi, Gaudreau, Klimchuk or Poirier. I think we have more pressing needs, TBH I would rather take Deangelo over him.

I agree, I really don't want Ho-Sang

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't want to take Ho-Sang with the 34th. If he is still there at 54 or 64th (which is highly unlikely) I'll give it a shot. Plenty of other prospects I'd rather choose at 34 for the Flames.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

That interesting because DeAngelo has the same question marks regarding consistency and work ethic.

BacklundtoBartschi*

How do you guys feel about Vladislav Kamenev? People say if it weren't for the 'Russian Factor' he'd be a first round pick.

I wouldn't mind taking him with our second.

BacklundtoBartschi*

Maybe with Colorado's 2nd, but I think there might be better talent available at #34.

I don't know... A 6'2 203 pound centre with a good shot, great at protecting the puck and good along the boards. He seems like the ideal 2nd line centre. He was really good at the U18's and U19 tournament.

If we got Ekblad at 4 and Kamenev at 34 I would be ecstatic.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I don't know... A 6'2 203 pound centre with a good shot, great at protecting the puck and good along the boards. He seems like the ideal 2nd line centre. He was really good at the U18's and U19 tournament.

If we got Ekblad at 4 and Kamenev at 34 I would be ecstatic.

unless EDM trades there pick I cannot see a scenario where Ekblad falls to us at 4. I know their management is stupid...but still.

Bennet/Reinhart is the most likely from what I can tell about the 3 teams ahead of us. BUF is the wilcard IMO, do they go Bennet or Reinhart???

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The way I see it is Florida is the wildcard... If they trade their pick to another team like the Canucks, Leafs, Anaheim, any team trading for the 1st OA are going to pick the #1 defenseman or the arguable best forward in the draft (Reinhart). If the #1 picks Reinhart, I am calling Buffalo right away for the 2nd OA, grabbing Ekblad and "draft-blocking" Edmonton. Buffalo will still get Bennett, and we get a huge upgrade on defense.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The way I see it is Florida is the wildcard... If they trade their pick to another team like the Canucks, Leafs, Anaheim, any team trading for the 1st OA are going to pick the #1 defenseman or the arguable best forward in the draft (Reinhart). If the #1 picks Reinhart, I am calling Buffalo right away for the 2nd OA, grabbing Ekblad and "draft-blocking" Edmonton. Buffalo will still get Bennett, and we get a huge upgrade on defense.

This is how I see it too. I am praying Florida holds onto their pick.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I have recently completed a mock draft, and as a Leafs fan who frequents the Leafs board, I’d appreciate the input from fans of other rooting interests. I have the Flames selecting the top winger in the draft in the first. I hope some of you take the time to read and enjoy it. I have included blurbs about each draft prospect and selection. This is my best guess of actual picks (not including trades) and I’m curious as to how correct I am come draft day. I mostly follow the OHL as an avid fan of the Frontenacs but I have seen most of the first round prospects play atleast a game or two. Any feedback is appreciated and I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks!

[thread]1695743[thread]
[thread=1695743]Click Me![/thread]

Not bad, however... You should consider the Flames picking a center at #4. Draisaitl would be a great consolation prize. While I love Dal Colle, you should look at our prospect pool with LW and it's very deep. We either need to grab another center with upside (just like we did with Monahan) or find a way to get Ekblad.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Not bad, however... You should consider the Flames picking a center at #4. Draisaitl would be a great consolation prize. While I love Dal Colle, you should look at our prospect pool with LW and it's very deep. We either need to grab another center with upside (just like we did with Monahan) or find a way to get Ekblad.

100% agree.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I first said it weeks ago, and it's seeming more feasible as time goes on; VAN will look to be the ones to make a splash at the draft and shoot for FLA's #1 pick.. it could be the last time for a long time they have a legit crack at a pick this high, and what better player to use it on than a hometown boy, highly skilled, intelligent player and son of a former NHLer. Tallon will be more than happy to select Ritchie at 6, and in do doing, would himself be getting a helluva player. The only thing I can't figure for the life of me is what it'd take on VAN's end to secure that pick besides 6 overall. FLA will no doubt also be after a pair of roster players, or a roster player and prospect, even with VAN's pick being a high as it is.. I wonder if 6th overall plus Burrows and Garrison gets it done, and if not, what would... My point in saying this is - and again, as I've said before - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if/when Ekblad falls to Calgary at 4, and I don't see why anybody else should be.. if Seth Jones (whom I feel will make twice the impact in the NHL that Ekblad will) can be ranked 1st in a draft featuring Nathan MacKinnon and fall all the way to the Preds at 4, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to see Ekblad falling to the Flames. I think a lot of the talk surrounding Ekblad's game is to hype up what may not be perceived as exciting of a draft to some as previous ones.. Anyways, assuming VAN is successful in acquiring that #1 pick, this is my (updated) take on how I see the top-15 playing out:

VAN Reinhart
BUF Bennett/Draisaitl
EDM Draisaitl/Bennett
CGY Ekblad
NYI Dal Colle
FLA Ritchie
CAR Nylander
TOR Virtanen
WPG Ehlers
ANA Kapanen
NAS Perlini
ARZ Tuch
WAS Fleury
DAL McCann
DET Fabbri

Last edited:

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa

good job reppin' Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->