Cale Makar vs. Victor Mete

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I don’t think this is a fair comparison because Makar’s ceiling is much higher. You’re also comparing a 5th overall pick with a 4th round pick...

Those saying that Mete is nothing special are out to lunch though.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Mete's ceiling is maybe Jared Spurgeon, Makar has no ceiling.

Yep, I always used Spurgeon as the best comparison for Mete.. I think Mete has the potential to be a bit better than Spurgeon but thats about it.. Makar's offensive tools are on another level..

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
They are both undersized but Girard has more offensive tools IMO (even though he is only outproducing Mete by one point).

Mete is much more competent defensively tho, that said i agree that Girard has higher offensive upside. Mete is just extremely smart, he's very solid defensively due to his stickwork and positioning.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Who is better right now? Mete obviously seems further ahead.

Both 19, one is playing college hockey, the other is playing in the nhl.

Isn't this almost entirely a function of the NCAA's anti-professional rules? Montreal was allowed to sign Mete to a contract, bring him to camp, give him some NHL games, and if they determine it's not for the best for him to stay in the NHL, could send him back to junior for more seasoning...

Makar, if he signed with the Avs in any capacity, would be burning his college career. There would be no opportunity to go back for more collegiate-level play.

I don't think it's fair at all to try to state that Mete is 'further ahead' than Makar by virtue of the fact that he came through a system that allowed NHL teams to give a player a chance with a safety net if it doesn't pan out, while Makar is going though a development system that doesn't take players back after they earn one 'professional' dollar. Had their situations been reversed - Mete in NCAA and Makar in CHL - it is quite likely Makar would be the player with an NHL contract and NHL games on his resume today while Mete would be at 0 and unsigned.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Isn't Mete and Girard a better comparison?
What about Girard vs Makar? I honestly cant tell I mean both smallish, elite skating, hands, vision... Makar has the better shot but by the time they're both core players, I believe both have developed a fine slapshot/wrister. Their fuel is confidence and freedom with the puck so if they get that, the sky's the limit for both of them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I definitely wouldn't go that far....:laugh:

What's his ceiling? He's almost 6', skates like MacKinnon, makes smart & crisp passes, quick decisions, is aggressive against the puck and has silky hands. Why can't he be a right shooting Duncan Keith?

Isn't Mete and Girard a better comparison?

Yes. Makar is bigger, more explosive, and has a higher skill level.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What about Girard vs Makar? I honestly cant tell I mean both smallish, elite skating, hands, vision... Makar has the better shot but by the time they're both core players, I believe both have developed a fine slapshot/wrister. Their fuel is confidence and freedom with the puck so if they get that, the sky's the limit for both of them.
Girard is more finesse, Makar is more power. Both are very gifted in skating, hockey sense, pure skill. Makar is more explosive, direct, more of a shooter. Girard is more a playmaker, passer, elusive, crafty. Girard is very good defensively, he's excellent at positioning, using his stick, knowing how he can and can't use his size (thank you Nashville). That's where Makar will probably have the most work to do when he turns pro but he has the aptitude for it and plays responsibly.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Makar over Mete hands down (in the future, right now Mete has the advantage). Makar has amazing acceleration, he can reach his top speed in a flash and can get some power on his wrist shot from it too. If his speed develops more, he could be an elite defenseman in the nhl.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mete is much more competent defensively tho, that said i agree that Girard has higher offensive upside. Mete is just extremely smart, he's very solid defensively due to his stickwork and positioning.
Girard is excellent defensively.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Makar over Mete hands down (in the future, right now Mete has the advantage). Makar has amazing acceleration, he can reach his top speed in a flash and can get some power on his wrist shot from it too. If his speed develops more, he could be an elite defenseman in the nhl.

I am not sure that Makar can develop his speed much more, it is already close to elite in my mind. I think it has always been viewed that way by scouts.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Girard is more finesse, Makar is more power. Both are very gifted in skating, hockey sense, pure skill. Makar is more explosive, direct, more of a shooter. Girard is more a playmaker, passer, elusive, crafty. Girard is very good defensively, he's excellent at positioning, using his stick, knowing how he can and can't use his size (thank you Nashville). That's where Makar will probably have the most work to do when he turns pro but he has the aptitude for it and plays responsibly.
Yikes, it's gonna be very interesting to see how things develop with them both and how are they utilized say in 2-3 years when both could be considered core parts of the avs unless it happens sooner.

Reactions: MaKarter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad