Cale Makar vs. Victor Mete

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Makar easily. Mete doesn't have projectable skills beyond his skating (which is terrific and will make a big difference at this level); when he made the Habs I said he's not ready to be a NHL player and he'll never be an offensive defenseman. Makar has it all except size.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
Makar easily. Mete doesn't have projectable skills beyond his skating (which is terrific and will make a big difference at this level); when he made the Habs I said he's not ready to be a NHL player and he'll never be an offensive defenseman. Makar has it all except size.
I agree. Elite speed but not a very good shot and his playmaking just isn't there, yet at least. He'll be an effective 2nd pairing guy who can bring some offense if he reaches his potential which is great especially for where he was picked. Makar has an insane toolset though. Skating, shooting, passing, his offensive abilities are apparent and he looks like he could be a No. 1 or 2 dman when I watch him play. Mete's game is more polished right now which is why he'll get the minutes in the WJC, but I'd choose Makar over him on the PP any day of the week.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Who is better right now? Mete obviously seems further ahead. I think Mete will have a long career and he skates effortlessly. Very smooth.

Makar projects to be a higher end player with better offense to his game but I also think it is more likely that Makar busts over Mete.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd take Makar, I believe he has the higher offensive upside, but Mete is much safer.

Makar easily. He's expected to be a top pairing dman for the Canada.
Canada's top pairing RD is expected to be Dante Fabbro (if healthy), most likely paired with Kale Clague.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Well let's see. One is a top NHL prospect and the other is Victor Mete.

Both 19, one is playing college hockey, the other is playing in the nhl.

Mete seems a safe bet to at least become a 2nd pairing defenseman.
Makar has the potential to become a top offensive defenseman, but there's still a lot of question marks on whether he will be able to reach his potential

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Right now I don't think there actually that far off and this is coming from an Avs fan. I think we'll see in the U20 that Mete is actually farther ahead than Makar.

You have to go with Makar though. The skillset is real.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad