Cale Makar vs. Victor Mete

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Easily Makar. From my viewings he's likely going to be a star. He has huge hockey sense and the skill set to match. Just needs to be stronger.

Makar the Star

Reactions: MaKarter

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
Mete seems a safe bet to at least become a 2nd pairing defenseman.
C'mon man. He's looked good so far this season but he's 19 and still has a long way to go to even become a consistent NHLer, let alone a 2nd pairing d-man.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
C'mon man. He's looked good so far this season but he's 19 and still has a long way to go to even become a consistent NHLer, let alone a 2nd pairing d-man.

How has he a long way to go to become a consistent NHLer?
Before he got send to play for team Canada, he played 27 of 31 games in the nhl. That's pretty close to a consistent nhler.

DieTomi

Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
How has he a long way to go to become a consistent NHLer?
Before he got send to play for team Canada, he played 27 of 31 games in the nhl. That's pretty close to a consistent nhler.
He never looked like an NHLer in the Montreal games I watched and my dad who's a Habs fan never had many good things to say about him. He can keep up with the speed cause he has great skating but he was a turnover machine and didn't create a whole lot of offense. My guess is he's back to junior after the WJC and after that probably a few years in the AHL.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He never looked like an NHLer in the Montreal games I watched and my dad who's a Habs fan never had many good things to say about him. He can keep up with the speed cause he has great skating but he was a turnover machine and didn't create a whole lot of offense. My guess is he's back to junior after the WJC and after that probably a few years in the AHL.

wow you and your dad clearly haven't watched a lot of habs game this year.
Mete has been really good with us. The only problem he had is when the habs were facing big heavy teams like the blues. For obvious reasons, he had some trouble against bigger players.
But otherwise, hes been good. He rarely does mistakes and seems to always do the right play. His defensive game is really good.

If he doesn't come back to the nhl after the wjc, then he's absolutely making the nhl full time next year.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Makar has the potential to be a stud. His offensive potential is through the roof. Mete is the safer pick of the two, but the choice here is Makar, no matter how impressive Mete has been so far.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Mete's been solid but his ceiling isn't that high. Everyone knew he was good in his draft year but no one is going to obsess with a player with his tools/size as it pertains to projecting them into the next level.

Makar legitimately has a high ceiling but he might be the most overhyped prospect I've ever seen with social media, relative to what I've actually seen from him on the ice. I shouldn't say most overhyped, for me, he is probably the standard now.

But you still go Makar here, very easily, secondary to the ceiling.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
wow you and your dad clearly haven't watched a lot of habs game this year.
Mete has been really good with us. The only problem he had is when the habs were facing big heavy teams like the blues. For obvious reasons, he had some trouble against bigger players.
But otherwise, hes been good. He rarely does mistakes and seems to always do the right play. His defensive game is really good.

If he doesn't come back to the nhl after the wjc, then he's absolutely making the nhl full time next year.
Reducing Mete to his skating tells me this guy hasn’t seen him play at all.

Great puck mover, great vision and passing skills, very good defensively... The areas where he struggles is in shooting and corner battles (because of his size). But he is definitely a very smart player and I don’t think it’s a stretch he’ll be a top 4 D, based on the fact that he’s good enough to make the NHL at 19.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
But he is definitely a very smart player and I don’t think it’s a stretch he’ll be a top 4 D, based on the fact that he’s good enough to make the NHL at 19.

It is indeed not a stretch to say that he could be one.

DieTomi

Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
Reducing Mete to his skating tells me this guy hasn’t seen him play at all.
I watched him whenever London played the Bulldogs for 3 years. He's a smart player and should be an NHL player, but to say he's a safe bet to be a 2nd pairing dman is absurd.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I watched him whenever London played the Bulldogs for 3 years. He's a smart player and should be an NHL player, but to say he's a safe bet to be a 2nd pairing dman is absurd.
Well I don’t think he’s top pairing material and he was playing better than all of Montreal’s bottom pairing Dmen in most games this season. Which tells me he’s more than a bottom pairing Dman but not a top pairing Dman, somewhere in the middle...

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its true that Mete doesn't have wow skills. He just might be the best skater I've ever seen, but who cares, right ?

... Obviously Makar has a much better shot, but the rest ? Meh, pretty equal. Mete has a better head for the game IMO. But shot generation is a must and this will hold Mete back a lot. Obviously I'd take Makar ahead of Mete.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Its true that Mete doesn't have wow skills. He just might be the best skater I've ever seen, but who cares, right ?

... Obviously Makar has a much better shot, but the rest ? Meh, pretty equal. Mete has a better head for the game IMO. But shot generation is a must and this will hold Mete back a lot. Obviously I'd take Makar ahead of Mete.

Do yourself a favor and watch the Canadian Junior team playing on TV right now. You'll learn a few things.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00