Calder Watch & Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Hischier's got the edge right now because his team is getting a lot of attention. Keller is right behind him. They'll create more and more distance from the rookie group as the season goes on.

Darkhorse candidate is Brendan Leipsic.

Reactions: saxonmiller

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
McAvoy leads all rookies in average time on ice (21:03) by a healthy margin and has 7 point in 7 games. Tough to beat his impact if he's playing #1 defenceman minutes by the end of the season and has around 40-50 points.

Reactions: SI90

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'd go with Keller, Hischier, and McAvoy.

Butcher and Bratt have been spectacular for the Devils, but I don't think they'll sustain the level of play the way the top-3 can.

Homer vote goes to Nico. He's been so sick.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
DLfcdKkVAAAm6H3.jpg

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Keller and McAvoy have stood out for me. Hischier will be in the conversation all season, IMO.

I always try to add new names to this kind of thread, so I'll toss out Kyle Connor. He started the year in the AHL, but has been put on the top two lines in Winnipeg recently. If he catches on, he could have a real good season. And Vadim Shipachyov could be in the conversation. Bad start to the year, thanks to some silly decisions in Vegas. But he is a legit talent. Darkhorse, yes, but fun to talk about.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Keller and McAvoy have stood out for me. Hischier will be in the conversation all season, IMO.

I always try to add new names to this kind of thread, so I'll toss out Kyle Connor. He started the year in the AHL, but has been put on the top two lines in Winnipeg recently. If he catches on, he could have a real good season. And Vadim Shipachyov could be in the conversation. Bad start to the year, thanks to some silly decisions in Vegas. But he is a legit talent. Darkhorse, yes, but fun to talk about.
Is Shipachyov eligible?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Way too early to seperate the calder contenders at this point. There is a lot of variables in play and we haven't even finished a month of the season. The real test will be in the 2nd half when many of these kids will start to fade due to the grinding NHL schedule and pro scouts having a book on them. In a year without a clear favorite(s) I wouldn't put much stock into calder contenders until the calendar flips over into 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad