Calder Watch & Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
How many games this season have you seen of Barzal? Because almost every night (excluding about 8 or so games) he's making chances and flying around like no one else. There are games where he has zero points but should have had at least 3 assists had someone else not flubbed a shot.

You are using points to say he does not get open whenever he wants (That rookie may end the season PPG lol).

The Isles fans have seen every one of his games. He gets open and makes space pretty much whenever he wants.
He is a wizard, Harry.
This is exactly one of the reasons why Barzal is overrated.

He does not fly around and create chances like ‘no one else’. Unbelievable

Fans will be in for a rude awakening when they expect Barzal to be able to ‘create like no other’ while hes also expected to play against top forwards and top pairs all year long which he has never done, unlike some Islanders fans would have you believe.

Sir Erdinger

Jul 24, 2012
Manitoba
congrats Kyle Connor - 30th goal tonight!!! Leads ALL rookies in goals scored! Hell of a year for the kid, quietly doing this

Did I miss something? Pretty positive he didn’t score last night.

That said, yes, fantastic season for the kid. As a Jets fan I’m obviously biased, but he has my vote.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Did I miss something? Pretty positive he didn’t score last night.

That said, yes, fantastic season for the kid. As a Jets fan I’m obviously biased, but he has my vote.
yep, you are correct. NHL Network flashed he scored his 30th multiple times on the bottom of the screen, after I posted it, Connor's name was removed and Perrault with a goal - so not sure what happened, but they had Connor listed with a goal and an assist last night, then changed it. My apologies, hopefully he gets 30 against the Hawks!

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Fans will be in for a rude awakening when they expect Barzal to be able to ‘create like no other’ while hes also expected to play against top forwards and top pairs all year long which he has never done, unlike some Islanders fans would have you believe.
How many times have you seen him play? Be honest, is it more than 3 games?
Thanks for your opinion.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

I would love to have a 24 hour period where nobody is going on an obsessive rant about how much Barzal will suck in the future and how us pathetic Islander fans are in for a rude awakening when he regresses into Ryan Strome 2.0.

But hey, decide 60 of Barzals points don't count for some weird reason. Are we really giving Barzal the Calder after a lackluster 19 point season? He only put up 19 points plus the 60 I decided to disqualify because I make the rules here.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
He's going to play on Team Canada with McDavid soon. Maybe some people can try to gather an informed opinion from those games?

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
How many times have you seen him play? Be honest, is it more than 3 games?
Thanks for your opinion.
I watch every game. He wont be top player in the league

Sorry my opinion doesnt blow him every chance I get and Im more in reality to not expect a D+3 year unexpected by anyone and inflated by an overachieving offense to continue putting up 70-80+ seasons

Please, feel free to call me out a year or two from now if im wrong. Ill gladly admit it. Doubt it happens though.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I watch every game. He wont be top player in the league

Sorry my opinion doesnt blow him every chance I get and Im more in reality to not expect a D+3 year unexpected by anyone and inflated by an overachieving offense to continue putting up 70-80+ seasons

Please, feel free to call me out a year or two from now if im wrong. Ill gladly admit it. Doubt it happens though.

Mods, can you sticky this post? This oughta bring out a few laughs a year or two from now.

Really? What about these earlier posts you made in this thread? (below)

Just to clarify - me disagreeing doesn’t mean I don’t watch the Islanders or Barzal.. in fact I watch every game of theirs almost, they are a local team. I see how good he is and his playstyle is perfect for the way the league is going, but I don’t think Lee and Barzal will both remain PPG thus both dropping down. 70 in a rookie year is more than Matthews had last year.. (the poster I originally responded too said 65-70 points for Barzal isnt unreseasonable)

Weren't they right though?
Barzal wont be hitting 65-70 points.. come on now.

You were wrong then, what makes you think you are right now?​

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewFlames

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Weren't they right though?

You were wrong then, what makes you think you are right now?​

Always compare this to the apocalypse preacher who insisted the world would end in 2012... then 2013... then 2016... but oh man they just received a message from God and 2019 is the year so donate now.

Instead of going "I was wrong" after failing so so so so so many times, it's "I was right I was always right you fools who doubted me will see!"

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
If you think i care what others think about my argument youre sadly mistakened. I put my points out there, what you do with them is your own business

We will see who looks more dumb come next year

I was thinking about printing them out and using them as toilet paper. Hope you don't mind.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Most discounting Barzal are doing it because of draft position but don’t want to admit it

My guess is many who said Barzal will never be a #1 center because he can't score enough and the move he does in junior won't work in the NHL don't want to admit they may be wrong

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Philly is a pretty tough team. I am hoping Barzal gets his 80pt tonight. But if doesn't he will have 2 more shots after this game to be the first rookie to hit 80 since Malkin did it 11 years ago. Which means he is a pretty good bet to reach this elusive elite mark.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Barzal
McAvoy
Hischier
Pretty solid list, but Keller needs some love...

Barzal
-
McAvoy, Hischier, Keller. (these guys could all have the upside to overtake Barzal in the future, but he's a clear cut above them right now)
-
Connor, DeBrincatt, PLD
-
-
-
Gourde, Boeser, Butcher

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Quite odd that Hischowe and his 28 less points is better than Barzal. If Barzal was playing next to a hart trophy candidate all season he would likely have 90+ points. But I guess Hischier is a star with his mighty 51 points while being glued to Hall.

I'm shocked that you aren't a GM of a dynasty team yet, with your extreme knowledge of hockey.
Lmao yeah and Barzal playing on an overachieving offense, top powerplay, and he still cant break 90 lmao

No GM in the league would be dumb enough to take Barzal over Hischier

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
Hischer is going to be the Devils 1C for the next 10 years, he needs no hyping.

Same with Barzal, (Interestingly they wear the same #) which is why this thread has now just turned into variously bad attempts to discredit what Barzy has done.

Reactions: SI90

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
Lmao yeah and Barzal playing on an overachieving offense, top powerplay, and he still cant break 90 lmao

No GM in the league would be dumb enough to take Barzal over Hischier

Oh, sir now this is where you are just wrong.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Im sure he knows how to golf though

I cant wait to see how well he does on the top line next year when hes NYIs only threat

:laugh:

[mod]

Why don't you go look up d-zone starts for Barzal and Hischier?

Seriously, keep those completely uninformed hot takes coming though. They are hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
:laugh:

[mod]

Why don't you go look up d-zone starts for Barzal and Hischier?

Seriously, keep those completely uninformed hot takes coming though. They are hilarious.
Or maybe Barzal is a negative player, has four times as many giveaways as Hischier, plays no PK as a fast skater, hits and blocks less, and his team is resting soon because he couldnt help in the other end.

Its okay, Hischier being better doesnt mean Barzal is bad. Just defensively

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad