C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I wish I had the ability to willfully interpret the phrase "start him on the wing" describing the common practice of easing a 19 year old rookie centre's transition to the NHL as "wants to evaluate him on the wing because that's where he's better suited long term."

Frankly I'm against him transitioning as a wing, but given the situation the Leafs are in I certainly understand it. The whole mantra is "bring players up when they are ready to play, into an environment that is safe to play in. It's one thing to bring him to play in a top 9 platoon with Kadri and Bozak with a decent group of 6 wingers, it's another to shove him into the fire as a top-6 c with nothing behind and around him but rookies, cap dumps, and waiver fodder

Last edited:

snizzbone*

Larkin is another center who is on the wing to start his career. I'd think most believe he'll be a center.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Bozak should be back at some point, we will see if Babcock puts William on the wing when that happens (or send him down to the Marlies). Mirtle also mentioned that Babcock showed William videos of Toews' defensive work as a centre, so the plan is still to groom Nylander as a C.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
For me it's not about center or wing, he's soft and one-dimensional no matter what position he plays. The different between Nylander and Larkin is that Larkin does things like attack the center of the ice and compete...not their future positions.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Bozak should be back at some point, we will see if Babcock puts William on the wing when that happens (or send him down to the Marlies). Mirtle also mentioned that Babcock showed William videos of Toews' defensive work as a centre, so the plan is still to groom Nylander as a C.

I watched Babcock's interview, he said that he is showing Willy tape of Krejci and Toews on how he should play C. He knows Willy has the skill but he wants him to play with the intensity that elite two-way centers play with.

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
For me it's not about center or wing, he's soft and one-dimensional no matter what position he plays. The different between Nylander and Larkin is that Larkin does things like attack the center of the ice and compete...not their future positions.

But he's not soft or one-dimensional? Why do people assume that a kid's compete level is not as high that he is one-dimensional? One dimensional means that he's only focused on offense which is not the case here.

If you cared to watch him play at all, he's actually quite sound defensively with a very quick stick, good positioning, man coverage and breaks up many plays.

I agree he can be harder on the boards and engage more board battles. Compete is the right word here as I notice that he definitely glides around the ice at times and stops moving his feet. He will need to learn to give 100% every shift (much like Sosh) because when he does, we saw that he controls the play like very few players can.

snizzbone*

Nylander attacks the center of the ice.. That's how/where he generates his offense lol.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Well Babcock has spoken. Again, when this was suggested the other night and for reasons that made perfect sense. Not sure what the big deal was. Babcock wants to see Nylander on the wing. I could not agree with him more.

Of course you're taking it the wrong way.
You think he is saying Nylander is better suited as a winger.
Babcock wanted to ease Nylander into the NHL as a winger because it's easier to adjust to the NHL as a winger.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
i hear he's soft and one dimensional. If he can produce like Ebs he'll be a good player.

You should watch him before making player comparisons.

You can hear a lot of misinformation on this site, especially in Leaf threads. Nylander is not one dimensional.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Yeah but he's also less skilled and has a lower ceiling.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
The thing is, at 19 years old playing centre, he's been good. Good positioning and defensively, and he creates chances for his linemates, they just aren't good enough to convert on the chances he creates.

When he sprung Grabner yesterday I just knew a goal wasn't gonna be scored. Actually Grabner didn't even hit the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad