C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Canucks fan coming in peace.

Kids a stud. You have nothing to worry about.

He's a teenager getting his feet wet in the NHL. He knows the coaching staff is watching every little detail in his game as it pertains to the defensive side of the game and positioning.

Playing with those thoughts in his head instead of being able to be creative offensively works against him right now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's not outrage at all, in fact I feel he will be fine whatever position he ends up playing. However you seem to constantly bring it up as if playing wing somehow makes him less of a player. He has been getting better in the minors defensively as a C and is currently playing C in the NHL so I don't see why you constantly feel the need to bring up the fact that he might end up as a winger. As if he can only succeed on the wing because you think he will not be strong enough defensively.

Let me just say this, Nylander right now is better defensively than Kadri was at the same age and even though it took Naz a few years he has really improved his D game big time. Heck, if I recall Kadri played mainly wing during his NHL stints before coming in full time as a C. So just relax, still an extremely small sample size.

I look at players and I evaluate them through observation mostly from years of watching hockey. I think I have a good record here making player judgments on this board, in particular NHL prospects. So take my opinions as just that. Opinions that may or may not be correct. But I do think I do know a thing about watching hockey players.

I agreed with a post of yours earlier today that said basically what I alluded to yesterday, but for some reason you objected for me bringing up Sunday.

It was on the topic of I do not know if Nylander will be a Center in the NHL. And to be fair I did point out it was 4 games into a NHL career, it is a very small sample. But if I didn't hint at it loud enough then, I am now. I think he would make a terrific winger. 5 games in now, I don't know if he looks like a Center to me. The AHL is vastly different than the NHL. In my opinion, I see a skill set that may be better suited as a winger than a Center. Which is no shame to any young player. Playing Center in the NHL is a very tough proposition for even experienced players. IE Larkin, Reinhart, look at Seguin today.

Now I realize discussing prospects with Leafs fans here is a precarious position at times, because hey I get it Leafs fans are an emotionally invested bunch when talking about their own players here. I would rather discuss prospects with neutral fans. But it is what it is I guess.

The observations I make are on a NHL prospect. That's the way I see them here. Look at my posting history. The majority are on other team's players. So let's get that out of the way.

This was a good response, one I could reply to where we can have a discussion on. Wish you replied this way yesterday. Hopefully more posts will be more like this. Thanks.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
If you ignore all the Leafs fans who are desperate for something, anything, after decades of void, you will see that he looks EXACTLY like the player every reasonable person has projected: a one dimensional, highly skilled forward. One that will put up some points, but not one you will win with. More of a Phil Kessel than a Jonathan Toews.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
If you ignore all the Leafs fans who are desperate for something, anything, after decades of void, you will see that he looks EXACTLY like the player every reasonable person has projected: a one dimensional, highly skilled forward. One that will put up some points, but not one you will win with. More of a Phil Kessel than a Jonathan Toews.

except in his first 5 games he back checks well and plays a decent two way game
points will come and not a single leafs fan or any fan who watches him will complain abut defence its his lack of engaging is the only criticism thus far :shakehead

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015

Pls, if you watched the game tonight you would've notice that Nylander made a few good defensive plays and broke the puck out well. He is not one dimensional. More effort? Sure. Should get his feet moving more? Sure. Less Timid? Sure. One dimensional? Nope, unless you wanna call Eichel one dimensional as well, I recall Nylander breaking up a play or two more than Eichel tonight.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I look at players and I evaluate them through observation mostly from years of watching hockey. I think I have a good record here making player judgments on this board, in particular NHL prospects. So take my opinions as just that. Opinions that may or may not be correct. But I do think I do know a thing about watching hockey players.

I agreed with a post of yours earlier today that said basically what I alluded to yesterday, but for some reason you objected for me bringing up Sunday.

It was on the topic of I do not know if Nylander will be a Center in the NHL. And to be fair I did point out it was 4 games into a NHL career, it is a very small sample. But if I didn't hint at it loud enough then, I am now. I think he would make a terrific winger. 5 games in now, I don't know if he looks like a Center to me. The AHL is vastly different than the NHL. In my opinion, I see a skill set that may be better suited as a winger than a Center. Which is no shame to any young player. Playing Center in the NHL is a very tough proposition for even experienced players. IE Larkin, Reinhart, look at Seguin today.

Now I realize discussing prospects with Leafs fans here is a precarious position at times, because hey I get it Leafs fans are an emotionally invested bunch when talking about their own players here. I would rather discuss prospects with neutral fans. But it is what it is I guess.

The observations I make are on a NHL prospect. That's the way I see them here. Look at my posting history. The majority are on other team's players. So let's get that out of the way.

This was a good response, one I could reply to where we can have a discussion on. Wish you replied this way yesterday. Hopefully more posts will be more like this. Thanks.

So you admit that a 4 game sample size is to small to make judgments on a player and then literally in the next sentence say that a 5 game sample is enough to make a judgment that he doesn't look like a centre....:laugh:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Glad to always have your unbiased opinion always handy regarding the Leafs. :laugh:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

If Nylander ended up as Phil Kessel, the Leafs would have done fairly well. Whether he's more a Kessel or more a Toews, the Leafs (or any other team) wouldn't win with either of those players in and of themselves.

In any event, he's 19 years old and has played 4 NHL games. Why don't you give it a bit more time before declaring who he's topping out as?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He looked good tonight, considering his age and relative lack of experience. You can see the tools -- skating, vision, puck handling. He'll be fine. He's 19... take a deep breath and relax.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Wow, I didn't realize how people were interpreting his early NHL play..

Haven't missed a moment of his young NHL career yet and have been thoroughly impressed. The way he glides around with the puck puts him in a very small class of players.

I'm 100% confident he's a 60+pt player.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007

I like you phrase leaf fans, who think highly of him as being "desperate" and anyone who doesn't as "reasonable". Yeah. OK. :laugh:

I'm capable of being unbaised with Nylander. He's a solid prospect, whether he translate that to the bigs will remain to be seen. He has his weaknesses, which I've already stated in this thread. He's 19 years old and you're already writing him off after only 5 games, and yet you proclaim yourself as being "reasonable".

And he's nothing like Phil Kessel, absolutely nothing like him. One does not need to be a Kessel or a Toews to be successful. If there is a comparison to be made, I would say Backstrom is the better comparison. Of course, I'm not saying he's going to up Backstrom numbers, but similar style.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He looked good tonight, considering his age and relative lack of experience. You can see the tools -- skating, vision, puck handling. He'll be fine. He's 19... take a deep breath and relax.

Sad part is, you knew this was going to happen. I've mentioned several times this kid wasn't going to be able to just step into the NHL and take it by storm; like he did the AHL and SEL. Doing the early season prospect rankings; having Sam Bennett or Leon Draisaitl above this kid was met with a resounding 'LOL'.

He's got a lot of room to grow, and so does that team. He doesn't have McDavid level abilities to produce even with a bunch of duds around him at 18-19. I wouldn't worry.

Keep in mind: Similarly skilled players in his draft ranking (5-15) generally take a few years to even reach the NHL, this guy's only 1 1/2 years removed. The best bet for him, will be to get sent down in the next few games and then push the Marlies to a championship. He'll know what he needs to do for next year to be ready for camp and to push for an NHL roster.

No worries Leafs faithful; this kid has special skill, but he'll need some time. I feel sorry for Marner mostly. IF you think Willy's got it bad, imagine the hype that'll be around Marner's 2+ppg OHL season going into camp next year :laugh:

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012

At 8th overall you are just hoping you have an NHLer on your hands, because it's not always a guarantee. Example: Jared Cowen who can't even crack our lineup who was a former 9th overall pick.

Nice try though, it appears you haven't even watched him play, like Kessel he has a deceptive wrist/snap shot but unlike Kessel he is really good at forcing turnovers and coming away with the puck.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I wouldn't worry. Reinhart looked like he couldn't even stand on skates in his first 5 games in the nhl. You learn by doing. He clearly has the skill to play in the nhl already...just having to think too much as he sees things for the first time.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
By and large, Kessel was a hell of a player for the Leafs. Let's not get it twisted.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Seriously, Nylander will be great. He looked dangerous tonight on the worst roster he'll ever play with. This experience will be good, and when they ice a better team next year, he'll have a helluva season.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Also Babcock making him get off the ice after 30 seconds has been pretty funny to watch. Nylander touches the puck and immediately skates off. He's Babcock's puppy right now.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Also Babcock making him get off the ice after 30 seconds has been pretty funny to watch. Nylander touches the puck and immediately skates off. He's Babcock's puppy right now.

I've noticed that too... He's getting very quick shifts.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007

I remember Nylander was about to chase a dump-in; just as he crossed the centre ice line, someone from the leafs bench yelled "CHANGE" and Nylander stopped in his tracks and went straight to the bench. It was probably one of the coaches. :laugh: Kid's on a leash.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
When did Babcock call him out?

Also, I guess we can expect posts from that particular poster whenever Nylander lines up at the wing on the odd shift. Not lookin forward to that.

Yep, get ready for thinly veiled shots about Nylander's abilities anytime he plays out of position on the wing. :party:

In any case, he'll be fine. He's 19 in the very early stages of his NHL career. It's only natural that he'd be timid and overthinking the game. The only cure will be experience. Growing pains, but with a talent like Nylander I'm willing to wait.

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Personally I think he's been playing fine. Can't really blame him that the best chance's he's setup have come off the sticks of Greening and Grabner.

Mad Brills*

If he's still not playing that well come April 9th, then I'll worry.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He has made some good plays at the NHL level already and he is still adjusting. He is playing with another young player and a stone hands vet. This is a good experience for him - he will have better linemates come next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad