C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Nylander being compared to Skinner is just laughable. Nylander doesn't play anything like Skinner. Just an awful comparison, but not surprising considering who the comparison is coming from.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I am so thrilled that Nylander is going to the WJC. Another prudent decision by Shanahan and company.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I am so thrilled that Nylander is going to the WJC. Another prudent decision by Shanahan and company.

Ya! Glad to hear it. Not sure why a bunch of posters thought he shouldn't and wouldn't. There wasn't one good reason why he wouldn't go and be the focal point and leader of a Swedish team that's looking like a real contender. A Marner vs Nylander match up could be really interesting :popcorn:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Me too.

I would've understood the reasoning behind Nylander not going -- but I think the do or die situations and added pressure will be just as good or even better then playing against AHL players.

I think he finishes top three in tournament scoring, with Rantanen and Point being the other two.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
You're being a little dramatic.

He is not wrong though. And it's got nothing to the quality of player Skinner is. We don't know how good Skinner would be today if it weren't for his injuries.

It's a poor comparison is all. The only thing those two have in common is their stature. It's best not to comment on players you do not watch.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
He is not wrong though. And it's got nothing to the quality of player Skinner is. We don't know how good Skinner would be today if it weren't for his injuries.

It's a poor comparison is all. The only thing those two have in common is their stature. It's best not to comment on players you do not watch.

Godly skating and a good shot are two immediate comparables I see but there's a lot of differences in both players' games.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Godly skating and a good shot are two immediate comparables I see but there's a lot of differences in both players' games.

They also both have very slippery hands. But from a game management perspective, they are very different. Nylander is a puck carrier / pace controller who creates most of his offense with the puck. Skinner is an opportunist who's maybe a bit better at reading the play without the puck and capitalizing around the net.

Comparing Nylander and Skinner is a bit like comparing Kane and Parise. Not the worst I've seen (they share *some* similarities), but certainly not very good. But I do feel Skinner's stock has fallen to underrated status. He's obviously had struggles with injuries, but producing on a team like the Hurricanes, for a player of his style who relies on his teammates to set him up, is going to be incredibly difficult. I have a feeling if he was shipped off to a team that had a top notch playmaking center he'd be back to 30-30 form.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
They had to send him, for some reason they are required too

The Swedish federation have a transfer agreement with the NHL. The main thing is obviously transfer money for every player that signs an ELC and that NHL clubs keep drafted players' rights for 4 years. But it also includes stuff like SHL clubs have an option to keep their signed late round picks if they don't make the NHL("can't" be sent down to AHL before 22 yo if you're not a 1st rounder) and that junior players in the AHL should be released for the WJC.

You can find loopholes with most of these things, though. Happy that Toronto is letting him play.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Swedish federation have a transfer agreement with the NHL. The main thing is obviously transfer money for every player that signs an ELC and that NHL clubs keep drafted players' rights for 4 years. But it also includes stuff like SHL clubs have an option to keep their signed late round picks if they don't make the NHL("can't" be sent down to AHL before 22 yo if you're not a 1st rounder) and that junior players in the AHL should be released for the WJC.

You can find loopholes with most of these things, though. Happy that Toronto is letting him play.

See I am not because he is above this he is DOMINATING the AHL so what's he going to do at the WJHC he should be continuing to play with pro players, not kids

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
well hopefully he is going to DOMINATE and show himself to be the best under-20-player-not-in-the-NHL in the world

There are many great player coming(Rantanen 1.31 ppg in ahl, top5 of the 2016 draft etc) so expecting Nylander to win games alone will be setting yourself up to disappointment imo. Even Nugent-Hopkins or Drouin couldn't do that.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

Lol. I goto Marlie games regularly and Nylander is having an outstanding season.
What exactly is it you think seperates him from Skinner? Both small. Both skate well. Both have great release. Both have good offensive awareness. Both suck defensively. Both have a tendancy to float. Sorry I am not comparing him to a current superstar, but Skinner was seen as a great prospect as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
well hopefully he is going to DOMINATE and show himself to be the best under-20-player-not-in-the-NHL in the world

And if he doesn't? There are a lot of very good players in this tourney. IE Matthews, Rantanen ect...Best to keep expectations reasonable if this is your HOPE.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Lol. I goto Marlie games regularly and Nylander is having an outstanding season.
What exactly is it you think seperates him from Skinner? Both small. Both skate well. Both have great release. Both have good offensive awareness. Both suck defensively. Both have a tendancy to float. Sorry I am not comparing him to a current superstar, but Skinner was seen as a great prospect as well.

You couldn't be more transparent in your attempts.

Now, where did I leave that "Do Not Feed" sign?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Have you checked the date recently? The whole misinformed "Nylander is just a soft skilled undersized winger with no defense and character concerns" narrative is sooooo last summer. . Do keep up.

""William is very strong below the puck, strong when he doesn't have the puck. He always makes sure he's in a good spot. He's getting more comfortable as a centreman on North American ice where you have to do some things in a tight spot."

"He's got really good defensive instincts," added Keefe. "A quick, active stick that can pick pucks off. I'm very comfortable putting him out with the penalty killers if I have to."

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/17/marlies-nylander-improving-defensive-game-keefe

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

:laugh:

Give up the act.

There's nothing wrong with saying you think Nylander will end up as a Skinner calibre player, but to say Nylander compares to him stylistically is just wrong. Again, they are completely different players.

Also, using broad terms doesn't help your argument either. Is Nylander like Kessel because they both are fast and have great shots?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
And if he doesn't? There are a lot of very good players in this tourney. IE Matthews, Rantanen ect...Best to keep expectations reasonable if this is your HOPE.

Lol, even if he doesn't dominate he's still one of the best in the world at his age.

I've seen him dominate international tournaments before with his peers, I've also seen him dominate in a Men's league at his age.

Nylander should be a top 5 scorer(again) at the WJC, but if he's not, meh. I've already seen what he can do in this type of setting.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Once again, the Skinner comparison is proven to be a terrible one(stylistically).

In terms of look, I always found Nylander's offence similar to Elias'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad