C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If you want to criticize the kid fine. But do it without bringing up other prospects just to prop them up. You wouldn't care for it if we brought up Nylander in the Virtanen thread, you most likely didn't like hearing about him across the forums (given your hostility here now) so don't do it here. That's it.

It's unlikely you watch Nylander at all anyway, so it's doubtful you have anything constructive to say about his development in any case.

read 2nd to last reply on page 1.

And where do I bad mouth Willie or bring up other prospects?

The people im refferring too know full well why I was writing that there was alot of Irony in this thread.

I havent watched him this season, no. hence me asking the questions i did in the previous thread.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
oh I see, so when I asked about his play away from the puck, his play n his own zone, 7 wasn't doing the things you ask?

I will not leave, as I, and other remember well how soooooo many threads have been invaded with Nylander fan bous tryng to discredit other prospects.

at this point I have not mentioned one single prospect other than Willie in this thread, I have asked avout him, I have mentioned I cant wait to follow him in the NHL.

the only thing I did do, was tell Atomos I found him to be writing and acting in a very ironic behaviour.
No slight on Willie, but some of his fans.

I would still like to get an answer on my questions, as I really do like Nylander, he was my first choice with Ehlers for my Canucks.

I too thought he was ready for NHL.

He's a little more engaged defensively this year, still good at stripping pucks off guys, but could be better. Face-offs need work too. He is generally where he needs to be. He does long turns when he needs to do more stop-start, should improve.

His offense has been great and if he and Brown weren't stuck with Clune initially to start the year he may have 1-2 more points.

He may been capable of playing in the NHL this year but our team is garbage so it is better for him to work on refining some details of his game down in the AHL this year and he gets to avoid getting beat more often then not.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He's a little more engaged defensively this year, still good at stripping pucks off guys, but could be better. Face-offs need work too. He is generally where he needs to be. He does long turns when he needs to do more stop-start, should improve.

His offense has been great and if he and Brown weren't stuck with Clune initially to start the year he may have 1-2 more points.

He may been capable of playing in the NHL this year but our team is garbage so it is better for him to work on refining some details of his game down in the AHL this year and he gets to avoid getting beat more often then not.

Cheers,

With regards to what he has to work with on the Marlies, does he force plays?
Is he forced to do too much by himself?

How is he handling the rigours of the A?

How does he utilize his speed? I would imagine he thinks the game 5x the rate of his linemates.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Cheers,

With regards to what he has to work with on the Marlies, does he force plays?
Is he forced to do too much by himself?

How is he handling the rigours of the A?

How does he utilize his speed? I would imagine he thinks the game 5x the rate of his linemates.

We have a pretty strong team so he hasn't had to do too much. I only caught 2 games so far, and seeing Clune and Nylander and Brown it looked more like a game of keep away. Nylander is deadly on the half wall on the PP but he will go to the net as well if he needs to finish a play.

He looks way stronger this year on his feet then last year, but another off-season will do wonders for him I think.

His speed is noticable, 1-2 strides and in most cases he is gone. Brown has been a good fit him with, high hockey IQ. They have Panik on the line with them now, so I think that will likely help. Right now he's over a PT/Game in the AHL which is really good, I think it is likely for him to come up after the deadline once the Leafs sell off a bunch of pieces.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
We have a pretty strong team so he hasn't had to do too much. I only caught 2 games so far, and seeing Clune and Nylander and Brown it looked more like a game of keep away. Nylander is deadly on the half wall on the PP but he will go to the net as well if he needs to finish a play.

He looks way stronger this year on his feet then last year, but another off-season will do wonders for him I think.

His speed is noticable, 1-2 strides and in most cases he is gone. Brown has been a good fit him with, high hockey IQ. They have Panik on the line with them now, so I think that will likely help. Right now he's over a PT/Game in the AHL which is really good, I think it is likely for him to come up after the deadline once the Leafs sell off a bunch of pieces.

Awesome, thanks.

Will have to catch a game with him.
Brown is pretty underrated so I could imagine, Panik does seem like a good fit. must be a boss line playing against scrubs.

how is his attitude and commitment? Im guessing not as bad as was made out to be pre draft?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Awesome, thanks.

Will have to catch a game with him.
Brown is pretty underrated so I could imagine, Panik does seem like a good fit. must be a boss line playing against scrubs.

how is his attitude and commitment? Im guessing not as bad as was made out to be pre draft?

I haven't caught the new Panik-Nylander-Brown line yet, but i'm going to try to make an effort to see a game live this month at some point.

Never an issue. He's absolutely ripped right now so he put in a lot of work off the ice. In terms of work ethic, it's actually been great. We've had a few videos posted of him going out ahead of everyone to do some puck drills etc or work on his shot (via the Marlies twitter feed). He's also one of the hardest workers in the gym etc.

All of the pre-draft stuff on attitude etc seem to be untrue at this point. We've never heard anything at all which is great.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Im starting to get it... Nylander is the best of the 14 draft hands down, he is god, superman, the next coming of Gretzky, all he touches is elite or crazy. no other prospect can touch him even if the compare Nylander is Just better.

Dont you know? He played against REAL MEN in the SHL and AHL. You cant deny his natural superiority to anyone around him.

But in all seriousness, he needs to work on his body strength and play away from the puck. I think a season in the AHL and call ups when needed could do the trick.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I haven't caught the new Panik-Nylander-Brown line yet, but i'm going to try to make an effort to see a game live this month at some point.

Never an issue. He's absolutely ripped right now so he put in a lot of work off the ice. In terms of work ethic, it's actually been great. We've had a few videos posted of him going out ahead of everyone to do some puck drills etc or work on his shot (via the Marlies twitter feed). He's also one of the hardest workers in the gym etc.

All of the pre-draft stuff on attitude etc seem to be untrue at this point. We've never heard anything at all which is great.

Thanks, really appreciate the feedback.

My parents live in Toronto, so will have to catch him live when I visit them.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Dont you know? He played against REAL MEN in the SHL and AHL. You cant deny his natural superiority to anyone around him.

But in all seriousness, he needs to work on his body strength and play away from the puck. I think a season in the AHL and call ups when needed could do the trick.

You know where I stand on the matter mate, just trying not to stir more smut up:laugh:

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

Damn, for a 'small' player, he's looking pretty big. :sarcasm:

But seriously, he looks like he's in great shape.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I disagree. It's usually his offense that gets the team on the board. In all but one of the games, he's played a pivotal role in getting the marlies on the board. It's like the marlies are content on it being a 0-0 game until either the opposing team scores or Nylander makes starts the scoring.

Tbh, I think the Leafs have played better than the Marlies so far, which is strange because their records are basically reversed..

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Thanks, really appreciate the feedback.

My parents live in Toronto, so will have to catch him live when I visit them.

He's not perfect, but he's one of the best prospects we've had in a while. Hoping he continues to improve.

I highly recommend it, seats as low as $10 an there really isn't a bad seat.

Is he playing center yet or what?

He played centre all rookie tournament, pre-season and now with the Marlies. He wanted to be a centre so the organization made the commitment to develop him as one.

I disagree. It's usually his offense that gets the team on the board. In all but one of the games, he's played a pivotal role in getting the marlies on the board. It's like the marlies are content on it being a 0-0 game until either the opposing team scores or Nylander makes starts the scoring.

Tbh, I think the Leafs have played better than the Marlies so far, which is strange because their records are basically reversed..

I don't think Nylander has had to carry the team on his back, he's a game breaker of course and he makes things happen, but if he has an off night, we have a ton of guys who can score - it's not all on him.

Marlies have been mostly alright. Lots of game breaking talent but the problem seems to be getting minutes for all of our forwards.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I don't think Nylander has had to carry the team on his back, he's a game breaker of course and he makes things happen, but if he has an off night, we have a ton of guys who can score - it's not all on him.

Marlies have been mostly alright. Lots of game breaking talent but the problem seems to be getting minutes for all of our forwards.

Agreed, the Marlies have enough talent that they can score 2-3 goals even if Nylander doesn't produce offensively. Of course it helps that he could possibly carry the team on his own, but right now he is just a really good player on a strong team.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's not perfect, but he's one of the best prospects we've had in a while. Hoping he continues to improve.

I highly recommend it, seats as low as $10 an there really isn't a bad seat.

He played centre all rookie tournament, pre-season and now with the Marlies. He wanted to be a centre so the organization made the commitment to develop him as one.

On paper they look great, and yes they have the talent. But they really haven't shown it consistently in these early games. It always looks like they are waiting for something to happen before they actually wake up and start playing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
On paper they look great, and yes they have the talent. But they really haven't shown it consistently in these early games. It always looks like they are waiting for something to happen before they actually wake up and start playing.

Early in the season, not worried at all. If it's a theme at the 10-15GP mark, then it's a cause for concern.

snizzbone*

If he is not on the Leafs, William is 100% on the WJC team. Alexander is doubtful though..

I don't know man. He was already on the team before. And he's the top player on the Marlies. Don't see why he would go. I mean obviously if Toronto wants to let him go, he'd be excited, but he's a key part of a team in a pro league.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't know man. He was already on the team before. And he's the top player on the Marlies. Don't see why he would go. I mean obviously if Toronto wants to let him go, he'd be excited, but he's a key part of a team in a pro league.

The competition at the WJC at this point would probably be a step down for him, and he was already thinking the game ahead of a lot of his peers or guys 1 year older then him at the last tournament.

Although it would be cool to see a Nylander-Nylander line lol.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I have never before said anything about Nylander. Not that there is anything wrong with being in the AHL when your peers are in the NHL. No reason to be upset

Exactly, which is how we know that Daniel Sprong is going to be better than Strome, Marner, Provorov, and Werenski because he's playing in the NHL while the others are toiling away in the minors like chumps

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The competition at the WJC at this point would probably be a step down for him, and he was already thinking the game ahead of a lot of his peers or guys 1 year older then him at the last tournament.

If I were the Leafs, I would send him to the Worlds. He has some unfinished business. Though he had decent points totals in the tournament, his last 2 games of the tourney were not distinguishable where Team Sweden lost the semi final and bronze medal games. Sweden will be gold medal favorites again along with USA and Canada this year. He can play a role in helping them.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Personally I am not too big of a fan of a player going back multiple times. I know team Sweden would love to have him but for me let some other kid have a chance and fulfil his dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA