C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) V [Mod warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
No one said "as a 19 year old".....he was still a teenager at age 18, he didn't just turn a teenager at age 19.

Honestly, I wouldn't have even said anything if he would have simply called Nylander a PPG player as a teenager in the AHL. But he said he was OVER a PPG as a teenager in the AHL which is going from a reasonable "Ok, he's not quite technically a PPG player but it's close enough we can call him a PPG player" to "He's actually UNDER a PPG as a teenager in the AHL but we're going to say he is OVER a PPG as a teenager in the AHL."

I see the first one as a reasonable statement and the second one as an obvious deception of the actual facts.

I felt as though it was pretty clear that he meant this season. Either way, if it means a lot to you, yes he is a 0.87 ppg as a teenager in 46 regular season and playoff games.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would not term the numbers he put up in either league as 'crazy'. They are respectable to good numbers. Let's not get too carried away. I think this was also the point of the poster. Nylander is a very good prospect, but Leafs fans do not have to prop him up. His play will hopefully do this. I say this as a level headed Leafs fan.

What?

Nylander was putting up numbers in the SHL that not only matched NHL legends that came from that league, but succeeded them, some by a fair margin.

And he's essentially PPG in the AHL right now, and as a young teenager, that's incredibly difficult.

They are crazy numbers. There's no arguing otherwise. Give credit were credit is due.

Shwaguy*

I would not term the numbers he put up in either league as 'crazy'. They are respectable to good numbers. Let's not get too carried away. I think this was also the point of the poster. Nylander is a very good prospect, but Leafs fans do not have to prop him up. His play will hopefully do this. I say this as a level headed Leafs fan.

SHL his numbers were definitely pretty crazy good.

JayHockey

Mar 19, 2015
What?

Nylander was putting up numbers in the SHL that not only matched NHL legends that came from that league, but succeeded them, some by a fair margin.

And he's essentially PPG in the AHL right now, and as a young teenager, that's incredibly difficult.

They are crazy numbers. There's no arguing otherwise. Give credit were credit is due.

That is absolutly true. This kid will be an elite player. The Leafs just wants to give him some developping time and they make it the right way imo, no reasons to rush this kid even tough how mediocre they are right now.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I don't understand the amount of anger/backlash in here over this kid.

A guy asked for people's opinion of if they felt he was NHL ready or not. Then attacked everyone who didn't share his opinion, or tried to make them see it his way.

Now people are arguing semantics over someone getting carried away saying he is a PPG teenager.

I come in here for updates on how the kid looks, linemates with the Marlies, ice-time, posters opinions...etc. But all I get is angry dialect.

So can we keep this on topic?

I'd like to know who he's been playing with on the marlies EV and on the PP. Do they use him short handed?

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

Well as long as you are being REASONABLE about it, then yeah, I agree. Nylander needs to work on his body strength and work away from the puck.

Once he is up to snuff, he will be fine. :nod:

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

A guy asked for people's opinion of if they felt he was NHL ready or not. Then attacked everyone who didn't share his opinion, or tried to make them see it his way.

Now people are arguing semantics over someone getting carried away saying he is a PPG teenager.

I come in here for updates on how the kid looks, linemates with the Marlies, ice-time, posters opinions...etc. But all I get is angry dialect.

I'd like to know who he's been playing with on the marlies EV and on the PP. Do they use him short handed?

Here is the stats page. Just click back and toggle to the information you are looking for -if its avail.

http://www.marlies.ca/team/IndividualStatistics.asp

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I felt as though it was pretty clear that he meant this season. Either way, if it means a lot to you, yes he is a 0.87 ppg as a teenager in 46 regular season and playoff games.

Which is true but equally silly, considering he's played just 4,5 games this year.

That's like me saying Dylan Larkin is on pace for 82 points in the NHL as a 19 year old or Justin Abdelkader is on pace to score as many goals this season as Ovechkin did in his best season. It's 5 games, who cares?

Nylander is impressive on his own. People don't need to make stuff up or make it seem as if he's better than he is by exaggerating small sample sizes.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
i dont want to get caught up in this angry argument, but the truth is nylander has been really impressive in the ahl, shl and wjc, No denying that, he is one of the best players in the ahl this year, its true that he does not have ppg in his time in the ahl but he has been close and produced real well. He is an nhl ready player from all the chances i have gotten to watch him play. His points are not a worry, he dominates the game, he had 9 shots in one game thats dominant. He is down in the ahl to become a more defensively commited player, even though he is above average defensively right now, and to get a year or atleast half a year to work on faceoffs, positioning, dominating possession, build chemistry with brown, kaps, and others and get ready for next year. He is an real good prospect who imo opinion is better than ehlers and larkin. However i might very well be wrong and both those two have gotten chances to proven themselves a bit right now. The 2014 class looks to be stacked in terms of impact forwards

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
i dont want to get caught up in this angry argument, but the truth is nylander has been really impressive in the ahl, shl and wjc, No denying that, he is one of the best players in the ahl this year, its true that he does not have ppg in his time in the ahl but he has been close and produced real well. He is an nhl ready player from all the chances i have gotten to watch him play. His points are not a worry, he dominates the game, he had 9 shots in one game thats dominant. He is down in the ahl to become a more defensively commited player, even though he is above average defensively right now, and to get a year or atleast half a year to work on faceoffs, positioning, dominating possession, build chemistry with brown, kaps, and others and get ready for next year. He is an real good prospect who imo opinion is better than ehlers and larkin. However i might very well be wrong and both those two have gotten chances to proven themselves a bit right now. The 2014 class looks to be stacked in terms of impact forwards

Definitely true. He'll be a damn good player in the nhl whether it's this year or next season.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Which is true but equally silly, considering he's played just 4,5 games this year.

That's like me saying Dylan Larkin is on pace for 82 points in the NHL as a 19 year old or Justin Abdelkader is on pace to score as many goals this season as Ovechkin did in his best season. It's 5 games, who cares?

Nylander is impressive on his own. People don't need to make stuff up or make it seem as if he's better than he is by exaggerating small sample sizes.

But what you originally quoted was that he was over a PPG in the AHL as a teenager (this season). Which is true. There was no further speculation or statements of fact. You're the one who took the quote and put more context behind it than there really was.

In any event, he's been very impressive so far this season.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Definitely true. He'll be a damn good player in the nhl whether it's this year or next season.
yup, and as a leaf fan thats all that i care about. I have stopped caring about ehlers, ritchie, larkin etc. I have my opinion on where i think he is among the 2014 class. some agree others don't. I dont want any prospect from 2014 to bust all the forwards i hope turn out great. For guys like rienhart, nylander, bennett, drai, larkin, ehlers, i am almost 100 percent sure they have a real good future in the nhl. I hope da colle, virtanen, and ritchie all become stars and help their teams out. I dont want any more trash teams in the nhl for a long time so hopefully the leafs, cane, devils, sabres, and oilers become good teams soon as well as the avs, stars, and jackets.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
But what you originally quoted was that he was over a PPG in the AHL as a teenager (this season). Which is true. There was no further speculation or statements of fact. You're the one who took the quote and put more context behind it than there really was.

In any event, he's been very impressive so far this season.

He didn't say "this season". He said as a teenager which implies his scoring as a teenager. You are a teenager from 13-19, not just 19.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What?

They are good numbers. In my opinion not crazy numbers. This would indicate he did something extraordinary. Connor Brown who is yes is 2 years older, but was a rookie last season as Nylander was, put up similar to better numbers. 61 points in 76 games.

To me, there is no need to pump up a good first AHL half season for Nylander. When he starts putting up truly crazy numbers with the Marlies, The Leafs will call him up. This is what you want to see in prospects. When they are too good to play in the AHL, they no longer have anything to prove. Nylander can do this, this season.

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
They are good numbers. In my opinion not crazy numbers. This would indicate he did something extraordinary. Connor Brown who is yes is 2 years older, but was a rookie last season as Nylander was, put up the better numbers. 61 points in 76 games.

To me, there is no need to pump up a good first AHL half season for Nylander. When he starts putting up crazy numbers with the Marlies, The Leafs will call him up. This is what you want to see in prospects. When they are too good to play in the AHL, they no longer have anything to prove. Nylander can do this, this season.

So while what Nylander did was good for a 18 year old.

37 points in 41 games = 68 points in 76 games.

68 > 61.

Brown also put up those numbers in his draft + 3 season, whereas Nylander put up his numbers in his draft + 1 season.

I really cannot see any way to spin this in Brown's favour. I'm sure you will endeavour to do so.

- Huge Brown fan.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
37 points in 41 games = 68 points in 76 games.

68 > 61.

Brown also put up those numbers in his draft + 3 season, whereas Nylander put up his numbers in his draft + 1 season.

I really cannot see any way to spin this in Brown's favour. I'm sure you will endeavour to do so.

- Huge Brown fan.

You have illustrated why the Leafs posters are so defensive when talking about their own prospects. This is the type of stuff you read on the Leafs board. On the main board when posters try to be more objective. You get nitpicking over points projections IE PPG to prop up prospects.

My post stands. Brown and Nylander were both rookies last year. It was already pointed out by me that Brown was 20. But that doesn't change he still came from a junior league and put up 61 points to lead the Marlies in points last season. Nylander came from a pro league(SEL) and put up 32 points in 37 games.

Really we are going to argue one had crazy stats, the other not so?

This is the main board, and as a Leafs fan. I will show the board some of us can be objective on our own prospects. I'm not one to just throw out compliments. There is nothing wrong in the term, 'good' is there?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
You have illustrated why the Leafs posters are so defensive when talking about their own prospects. This is the type of stuff you read on the Leafs board. On the main board when posters try to be more objective. You get nitpicking over points projections IE PPG to prop up prospects.

My post stands. Brown and Nylander were both rookies last year. It was already pointed out by me that Brown was 20. But that doesn't change he still came from a junior league and put up 61 points to lead the Marlies in points last season. Nylander came from a pro league(SEL) and put up 32 points in 37 games.

Really we are going to argue one had crazy stats, the other not so?

This is the main board, and as a Leafs fan. I will show the board some of us can be objective on our own prospects. I'm not one to just throw out compliments. There is nothing wrong in the term, 'good' is there?

So your argument is that the number 61 is larger than 32? Ignoring all situational context?

If this is going to be your contribution to the reputation of Leafs fans on these boards, please just save the rest of us the embarrassment and stop what you're doing right now.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
So your argument is that the number 61 is larger than 32?

If this is going to be your contribution to the reputation of Leafs fans on these boards, please just save the rest of us the embarrassment and stop what you're doing right now.

Pretty much what I got out of it too.

If that's the case, I have no idea why Jordan Weal isn't playing on the Kings right now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So your argument is that the number 61 is larger than 32? Ignoring all situational context?

If you read my reply, you would know what we were discussing.

Neither should be termed as 'crazy' stats. They are good first year rookie numbers. This is what is called as being an objective Leafs fan.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Brown has been his only consistent winger in every game he's played so far. Played with Brown and Clune for most of the first game. Played on a line with Brown and Panik also. Then last game he played with Brown and Frattin for the first half and then Brown and Soshnikov for the 2nd half.

PP lines are usually Nylander and Brennan on the points (after Nylander takes the opening face off), then Brown, Kapanen and Panik/Frattin up front.

He's played some shorthanded minutes but only sparingly, like near the end of a pk or when there were back-to-back penalties. But he's not a regular on the PP. He was good on faceoffs in the first game but has struggled since then and was completely awful in that department in the last game. He has 5 points in 4 games and is basically the marlies whole offense. Other than Byron Froese, no one on that team has had a bigger impact than Nylander.

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
If you read my reply, you would know what we were discussing.

Neither should be termed as 'crazy' stats. They are good first year rookie numbers. This is what is called as being an objective Leafs fan.

Ima let you finish but Nylanders number in the ahl and shl as a 18 yr/old where close to the greatest of all time. this is just facts look it up nasland is the only player to play in the SHL and score at a higher ppg than nylander at 18 if I'm not mistaken. and as for his AHL numbers he would have been the highest scoring rookie while being 2 years younger than every other rookie playing in that league. Leaf fans should be excited and so should fans of hockey is he going to reach his potential who knows but to act like what he's shown is anything but crazy good is just sad IMO. I'm excited for other prospects and have no idea who will be better if I'm being honest but I'm excited to find out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad