C William Nylander (2014, 8th, TOR) V [Mod warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Some people think Ehlers is better, some think Nylander is better.

Who is right? Nobody because they are f***ing teenagers who haven't even touched their potentials.

Bang on. The sooner people realize this, the better. No one is going to be right about anything until years from now, when we actually know how they've performed in the NHL over a long period of time. That's the way it always is with prospects. So lets just try to get along until then :laugh:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Good start for Nylander in the AHL, he was one of the best players on the ice today IMO. Hopefully he keeps it up and forces Babcock's hand at some point this year

Mar 12, 2009
Bang on. The sooner people realize this, the better. No one is going to be right about anything until years from now, when we actually know how they've performed in the NHL over a long period of time. That's the way it always is with prospects. So lets just try to get along until then :laugh:

People don't get along because other fans state their opinions about how their teams prospects will turn out compared to others. All fans do this, you included, yet this "wait and see" and "no one knows" approach is only ever used when speaking of other teams prospects, and not one's own. You are positive of Red Wing prospects, and rightfully so, yet you don't feel the need to minimize your confidence when talking about your own teams prospects, but it seems necessary to minimize the confidence of other fans (in this case Leafs fans and Nylander, but their are many examples accross fan bases) when it comes to their prospect. Same with Leaf fans. They won't see the need to minimize expectations about prospects with their own, but will when posting in threads of prospects that belong to other teams.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Kyle dubai has said he wants Nylander to play in a consistent environment meaning he doesn't want Nylander to be jumping back and forth between the ahl and nhl the way kadri did in his first pro season. When/if he gets called up, he's gotta be ready to stay up for good.

Shwaguy*

Kyle dubai has said he wants Nylander to play in a consistent environment meaning he doesn't want Nylander to be jumping back and forth between the ahl and nhl the way kadri did in his first pro season. When/if he gets called up, he's gotta be ready to stay up for good.

He's already ready to stay up for good so that part isn't an issue. The issue is just waiting for a trade to happen.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
He's already ready to stay up for good so that part isn't an issue. The issue is just waiting for a trade to happen.

He hasn't gotten any better between training camp and now. Clearly the Leafs don't want him up as of now. They could've kept him up at the start of the season if they wanted to.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He hasn't gotten any better between training camp and now. Clearly the Leafs don't want him up as of now. They could've kept him up at the start of the season if they wanted to.

Nylander played well against the rookies, but once the competition against the pros began. He did not force his way into the lineup. It's consistent to what Shanahan said before camp. Unfortunately for us, none of our young guys showed they were NHL ready. I agree with this philosophy. You want players to make the team and do what Larkin or Ehlers are doing. In the past we just had players playing the 9 games that made small contributions, and then being sent down. Nylander will tell them when he is ready. He isn't there yet. But he's close.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'll be very, very surprised if he plays a game in the NHL this season - even if he shows that he is "ready". I don't think management has any desire to burn an ELC year on this wasted season with the Leafs.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Nylander played well against the rookies, but once the competition against the pros began. He did not force his way into the lineup. It's consistent to what Shanahan said before camp. Unfortunately for us, none of our young guys showed they were NHL ready. I agree with this philosophy. You want players to make the team and do what Larkin or Ehlers are doing. In the past we just had players playing the 9 games that made small contributions, and then being sent down. Nylander will tell them when he is ready. He isn't there yet. But he's close.

To be fair, Nylander and Brown were one of our best forwards in camp. Personally, I think he set himself apart from a vast majority of our forwards. I think they already made up their mind about his development plan. They want their prospects over ready, which I also agree with them on; there is no need to rush him and the team right now is pretty much meat grinder for a young player.

I think he'd be making an offensive contribution on this team, but probably on the wing; it's tougher to contend with stronger and more experienced players on the dot at the NHL. He also has positional issues among other thing and he could work on them at the NHL level. But alas, why do that when he can play centre and work on those things at the AHL level on a winning team while playing as their go to guy. It just makes more sense to send him down at this juncture. I know it's probably tough for leaf fans when other young players are contributing at the NHL level so early, but patience is key.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

I think Nylander is NHL ready but it was a forgone conclusion that he was getting sent down regardless of how impressive he looked. He was our best player most nights in preseason.

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
It's only been 3 games but so far William Nylander is the top scorer for the Toronto Marlies.

GP: 3

Goals: 2

Assist: 2

+2

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
how has Nylanders play in his own zone looked?

Believe or not, but I truly am exited to watch him in the big league.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Nylander is NHL ready but it was a forgone conclusion that he was getting sent down regardless of how impressive he looked. He was our best player most nights in preseason.

Nylander can play in the NHL, but I think the Leafs want him to be an impact player when he is up here for good. They do not want him to be playing 3rd or 4th line mins, and then perhaps send him back to the Marlies after 9 games. I am alright with what they are doing with William. And based on the preseason I believe it is the right decision. He's close, needs a bit more seasoning and then he will be up for good.

bobbyt 91*

It was an awful game. The Marlies defence played like shit. I swear Brennan must have been knocked in the head after the 2nd period because he looked like he had no IQ in the third.

The boys were prob out last night, they honestly looked like a hungover team.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Over PPG in the AHL as a teenager.

It's hilarious when people try to discredit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad