C/W William Nylander - Modo, SHL (2014, 8th overall, Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Every scouting body? Every scouting body were scouting two different drafts how could they rank one or the other above each other?

That's what "relative to their peers" means. Filatov was considered a better prospect relative to the kids in 2008 than Nylander was compared to kids this year. Assuming you consider 2008 at least as strong a draft as this year (many people would IMO) it holds that Filatov was ranked above Nylander.

Though I wouldn't be so put off by the Filatov comparison really. He busted not for lack of talent - he was sublimely talented - but for lack of heart and desire to succeed in North America (IIRC). Nylander is by no means destined to end up like Filatov though it is a fair cautionary tale for anyone who feels Nylander is too talented to bust as _no one_ is too talented to bust.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Hah it's bizarre though, the scouting reports at the time were that he had a great attitude. (the ones that I read) I remember being sure that he was going to be a dominant player after the U20's.

Either way, Nylander thankfully for you guys doesn't seem to have the same sort of issues.

I think one of the problems was that he never really faced any adversity. I mean, it's easy to have a good attitude when you're playing against kids in junior leagues. He's a guy that really struggled to adapt to playing in the NHL against men. I guess that's an advantage Nylander has over him.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
While Nylander will make the maddeningly dense play once a game, he is much more advanced than Filatov was at the same age. Nylander can think the game really well under pressure in an attacking sense. Filatov never had that in him. He's a pure burner and relied on offensive blitzes.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
William Nylander was my favourite prospect from this draft and I wanted my team to take him.

With that being said, I think he may have the most punchable face I have ever seen.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
William Nylander was my favourite prospect from this draft and I wanted my team to take him.

With that being said, I think he may have the most punchable face I have ever seen.

LOL, the Game of Thrones effect in action. No one would be talking about it if there was no GOT. I have to say though, the kid does have pretty sick flow, almost makes up for his dad's dome... almost. :laugh:

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
This just a horrible analysis, so Edmonton needs defence, they should've drafted Fleury then? Let's just pretend that trades and free agency doesn't happen to address those areas of deficiency which are more realistic to solve than absences of high end world class talent.

free agency and trades...and how has that worked out for Toronto in their search for a number 1 C?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
LOL, the Game of Thrones effect in action. No one would be talking about it if there was no GOT. I have to say though, the kid does have pretty sick flow, almost makes up for his dad's dome... almost. :laugh:

I actually have never seen GOT so I dont know the reference.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nylander can be compared to Filatov just like we can go through all the top 10 players and make unfavorable comparisons.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Wow, seriously?

Nylander is a dead ringer for King Joffrey - possibly the most reviled character in the GOT series.

both him and virtanen, and then you hear they are both confident (some would say cocky) with their skills and it gets even worse! lol

Jul 10, 2003
KW
both him and virtanen, and then you hear they are both confident (some would say cocky) with their skills and it gets even worse! lol

They were calling Virtanen King Joffrey before Nylander, I do recall that as well. Nylander has a more sharper or chiseled features and a more slender body like King Joffrey, so he definitely gets the nod in looking like King Joffrey department...

King Joffrey is actually my favourite tv character of all time, even ahead of the real ROR from OZ, so Nylander get major bonus points from me for his likeness.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Remembering Fedor Fedorov right now. Hoping that Nylander's head is in the right place because sometimes cockiness leads to a punch in the face and promotion for someone else. LOL

Kevin-Bieksa.jpg

I hope Nylander pans out. Dynamic player.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Remembering Fedor Fedorov right now. Hoping that Nylander's head is in the right place because sometimes cockiness leads to a punch in the face and promotion for someone else. LOL

Kevin-Bieksa.jpg

I hope Nylander pans out. Dynamic player.

In case anyone's wondering what he means:

"He played his four years at Bowling Green. They were eliminated from the playoffs, and we brought him to Manitoba [AHL] on a PTO [professional tryout]," Burke said. "One night after a game in Winnipeg, in which I don't think he played, they went to a local establishment. Fedor Fedorov was sitting at a table and Bieksa walked by the table, bumped him by accident and spilled Fedorov's beer. Bieksa apologized and offered to buy another beer."

According to Burke, Fedorov was in no mood for the apology from the unknown rookie and challenged him to a fight outside. Bieksa again tried to defuse the situation, according to Burke, but Fedorov wanted to fight.

"So, they go outside. Fedor was a big guy, he was a lot bigger than his brother Sergei," said Burke. "Then Fedor comes in and Bieksa drills him with one punch. Knocks him stone cold and cut wide-open and leaves him lying on the pavement."

Burke said Bieksa figured he was done with the Canucks organization and would be sent home the next day.

"Send him home? I said, 'We're going to sign him tomorrow,'" said Burke, whose affinity for truculence is well-established.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/8493/the-punch-that-led-kevin-bieksa-to-canucks

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Nylander can be compared to Filatov just like we can go through all the top 10 players and make unfavorable comparisons.

He's only being compared to Filatov by some because the Leafs drafted him. If a team like LA or Chicago somehow drafted him you wouldn't see anyone here bringing up this asinine comparison.

snizzbone*

Because hes laughably good-looking, and he knows it, thats why.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

"He played his four years at Bowling Green. They were eliminated from the playoffs, and we brought him to Manitoba [AHL] on a PTO [professional tryout]," Burke said. "One night after a game in Winnipeg, in which I don't think he played, they went to a local establishment. Fedor Fedorov was sitting at a table and Bieksa walked by the table, bumped him by accident and spilled Fedorov's beer. Bieksa apologized and offered to buy another beer."

According to Burke, Fedorov was in no mood for the apology from the unknown rookie and challenged him to a fight outside. Bieksa again tried to defuse the situation, according to Burke, but Fedorov wanted to fight.

"So, they go outside. Fedor was a big guy, he was a lot bigger than his brother Sergei," said Burke. "Then Fedor comes in and Bieksa drills him with one punch. Knocks him stone cold and cut wide-open and leaves him lying on the pavement."

Burke said Bieksa figured he was done with the Canucks organization and would be sent home the next day.

"Send him home? I said, 'We're going to sign him tomorrow,'" said Burke, whose affinity for truculence is well-established.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/8493/the-punch-that-led-kevin-bieksa-to-canucks

:laugh:
I have never heard this story before. I guess Zinger knows how to find 'em.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am very good friends with a manager at said establishment and he was tasked with helping fedor get cleaned up in the dish area after the incident. :laugh:

Iridescent*

I'd like to know why he has a punchable face then?

Because he's extremely good looking in a pretty sort of way. Men who've never got much attention from women resent it and try to use masculinity (ie: internet tough guy act) as compensation for their glaring insecurities.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
That's what "relative to their peers" means. Filatov was considered a better prospect relative to the kids in 2008 than Nylander was compared to kids this year. Assuming you consider 2008 at least as strong a draft as this year (many people would IMO) it holds that Filatov was ranked above Nylander.

Though I wouldn't be so put off by the Filatov comparison really. He busted not for lack of talent - he was sublimely talented - but for lack of heart and desire to succeed in North America (IIRC). Nylander is by no means destined to end up like Filatov though it is a fair cautionary tale for anyone who feels Nylander is too talented to bust as _no one_ is too talented to bust.

Okay, So Doughty was seen as 2nd amongst his peers, and was taken 2nd. That means Stephan is a better player right? Or Yakupov, or Ekblad? Or JVR? Some are too early, but rank means nothing, or else player in the first round would all be better than the later rounds and that isn't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad