C/W William Nylander - Modo, SHL (2014, 8th overall, Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Man you are all so quick to defend your golden boy. I've seen a few absolutely outlandish comments on the other end of the spectrum, and they barely get any response. Guy gives his opinion, what a dick!

There's a difference between stating an opinion and saying something that doesn't make sense

And don't make it sound like Leaf fans are the only extremists on this board. Nylander became a bust as soon as the Leafs drafted him

On topic: this kid has some serious potential. Excited to see what he has to offer

Last edited:

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Oh wait.
All those people who love this guy and think he will be great without having a clue.
No one can predict how good a player will be.
I stated my opinion just like everyone. Maybe he busts and proves everyone wrong. Scouts are awful just look at how many first rd busts even first overall busts in recent memory. Time and time again players picked later on are better. Scouts are horrendous in evaluating goalie talent and do as bad with Euros.

First bolded is a tad hypocritical no? Considering all you've said is that he'll bust without properly giving a reason WHY. I could understand if you said he was one-dimensional or weak on the puck or SOMETHING, because that at least makes sense and is reasonable. Saying he is a bust because you think he is reeks of narcissistic omnipotence and says that you've watched him exactly 0 times. And again, makes you hypocritical for saying that no one can predict a player's development yet somehow you know he's gonna bust.

2nd bolded, who are these players picked later who are better? I would like to hear some examples since you are quite stuck on this opinion. Yes there are players who ended up better after being drafted later than top picks, but to say this is a trend is a stretch at best, and delusionally delirious at worst.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
First bolded is a tad hypocritical no? Considering all you've said is that he'll bust without properly giving a reason WHY. I could understand if you said he was one-dimensional or weak on the puck or SOMETHING, because that at least makes sense and is reasonable. Saying he is a bust because you think he is reeks of narcissistic omnipotence and says that you've watched him exactly 0 times. And again, makes you hypocritical for saying that no one can predict a player's development yet somehow you know he's gonna bust.

2nd bolded, who are these players picked later who are better? I would like to hear some examples since you are quite stuck on this opinion. Yes there are players who ended up better after being drafted later than top picks, but to say this is a trend is a stretch at best, and delusionally delirious at worst.

You missed my point totally. I never said he would be a bust. All I'm saying with how so few first round picks become NHL stars why are people so sure Nylander is bust proof?
All I suggested was that he won't live up to the hype and lofty expectations that come with being picked at that spot. I also feel that he is at a tier lower than past Swedes who have been drafted higher like Lindholm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
If you're unwilling or unable to stop engaging in personal attacks, you will be removed from the discussion and subject to additional moderator action.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012

If you're so good at evaluating players and know better than the scouts, what are you doing on this board?

I've never said I was so good at evaluating anything or anyone so please stop putting words in my mouth. Nor do I need to defend myself against personal attacks. I did not say anywhere that Nylander would bust either. You are completely misinformed.
And if you don't think its a trend than your the one who's naive.
Football scouts for instance are just so much better at accurately evaluating players. Of course no ones perfect and drafting isn't an exact science but to say its not a trend when guys like Perry, Ryan, Getzlaf, Giroux, Eberle, Quick, Lundqvist, Karlsson, Rinne, Kesler Galchyenyuk, Pk Subban, March and, Yandle, McDonagh, etc get overlooked for lesser players its plain fact.
Every single year on these boards Isee threads about redo a draft. Every year its the same old song aand dance.
Yakupov no longer would be number .
RNH same thing. People now saying Huberdeau and Larsson were taking too high and Trouba too low. Every year in the NHL we see it. It boggles the mind. No back on topic I never said the kid would bust I just said I don't think his finesse play, great skill set, and production prove a lot. Zherdev, Filatov, Yakupov, Daigle, RNH, Are notable players with great skills who have failed.

As for Yakupov I was on these boards saying that then. I lobbied hard for Gally.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Oh wait.
I'm sorry.
Let me change it .
William Nylander will take the NHL by storm.
He will break Crosby's records in no time and winning multiple cups and score 200 points in his second year in the league.
Is that better?
All those people who love this guy and think he will be great without having a clue.
No one can predict how good a player will be.
I stated my opinion just like everyone. Maybe he busts and proves everyone wrong. Scouts are awful just look at how many first rd busts even first overall busts in recent memory. Time and time again players picked later on are better. Scouts are horrendous in evaluating goalie talent and do as bad with Euros.

First overall busts in recent memory? Who? The last one was Johnson probably and the one before that was probably Stefan. They rarely bust.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
First overall busts in recent memory? Who? The last one was Johnson probably and the one before that was probably Stefan. They rarely bust.

Johnson isn't a bust. He may not have lived up to a 1st round pick billing, but he is a solid NHL player and far from a bust.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I've never said I was so good at evaluating anything or anyone so please stop putting words in my mouth. Nor do I need to defend myself against personal attacks. I did not say anywhere that Nylander would bust either. You are completely misinformed.
Football scouts for instance are just so much better at accurately evaluating players. Of course no ones perfect and drafting isn't an exact science but to say its not a trend when guys like Perry, Ryan, Getzlaf, Giroux, Eberle, Quick, Lundqvist, Karlsson, Rinne, Kesler Galchyenyuk, Pk Subban, March and, Yandle, McDonagh, etc get overlooked for lesser players its plain fact.
Every single year on these boards Isee threads about redo a draft. Every year its the same old song aand dance.
RNH same thing. People now saying Huberdeau and Larsson were taking too high and Trouba too low. Every year in the NHL we see it. It boggles the mind. No back on topic I never said the kid would bust I just said I don't think his finesse play, great skill set, and production prove a lot. Zherdev, Filatov, Yakupov, Daigle, RNH, Are notable players with great skills who have failed.

As for Yakupov I was on these boards saying that then. I lobbied hard for Gally.

If Yak is a bust, so is Gally. They've had similar careers..

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A bust compared to first overalls. Daigle wasn't a bust either then

Well, Johnson is currently a #1 D on his team and his play is still consistent with a top 10 pick IMO. Daigle, while having an NHL career didn't play at that level.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Well, Johnson is currently a #1 D on his team and his play is still consistent with a top 10 pick IMO. Daigle, while having an NHL career didn't play at that level.

I suppose "bust" is the wrong word. But considering the top 5, he's a disappointing pick. Frankly so was second overall. Look at who went after the top 2

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I suppose "bust" is the wrong word. But considering the top 5, he's a disappointing pick. Frankly so was second overall. Look at who went after the top 2

He had a 40 point rookie season (if I'm not mistaken) before the age of 20, then he had the terrible injury on the golf course, took him a while to get back on track. Now he's a number 1 defenseman in the NHL, same age as Kessel. Not even close to being a bust imho.

maketrades

May 30, 2014
He had a 40 point rookie season (if I'm not mistaken) before the age of 20, then he had the terrible injury on the golf course, took him a while to get back on track. Now he's a number 1 defenseman in the NHL, same age as Kessel. Not even close to being a bust imho.

Just not a player you'd pick with a 1st OA pick.

Edit: Isn't this a Nylander thread though ;)

snizzbone*

NFL players are drafted after playing college for four years. There's a MASSIVE difference. Everyone in the draft is basically NFL ready when they are drafted, so its much easier to scout.

maketrades

May 30, 2014
NFL players are drafted after playing college for four years. There's a MASSIVE difference. Everyone in the draft is basically NFL ready when they are drafted, so its much easier to scout.

Facts :nod::nod:

It's not even in the same realm of difficulty predicting the success of an 18 year old as the success of a 22 year old.

William Nylander*

Anthony Petrielli ‏@APetrielli 25m
Just got off the phone with the Leafs Director of Amateur Scouting Dave Morrison. He told me Nylander is over 5'11 & 180+ pounds.

For reference, he turned 18 two months ago.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Just got off the phone with the Leafs Director of Amateur Scouting Dave Morrison. He told me Nylander is over 5'11 & 180+ pounds.

Makes sense. He looked really strong, not skinny, at the combine and looked between 3-4 inches shorter than Engvall who's 6'4".

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

So he is approaching and will likely get to 6'0" and 190lbs... That is similar to Stamkos. That's not small at all.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
what does being Swedish have to do with his skating? :laugh:

Nylander is a great skater though.

If you'be been around hockey a while, you know that Swedes are known for their smooth skating. Must be something in their development system over there.

I remember as a kid, having Swedish teams come over and play tournaments and being in awe at how well that they could skate.

MG91

Feb 1, 2008
Surrey, BC
Man, I watched this kid absolutely tear the U18s up and while I hate saying it he literally did look like a man amongst boys. His stickhandling and smooth skating are nothing to scoff at, but his vision is what truly set him apart in my eyes. Hoepfully he was able to see first hand what it takes to thrive in the NHL and his dad can help him make the adjustment to the NHL because his talent is unquestioned.

Not gonna deny the fact that I was chapped that the leafs got him as he was the second player (after Ehlers) that I wished the Canucks would have chosen. Alas, i can understand why we took Virtanen and he seems to have a bright future but if both reach their full potential Nylander will undoubtedly be the more influential player IMO.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Man, I watched this kid absolutely tear the U18s up and while I hate saying it he literally did look like a man amongst boys. His stickhandling and smooth skating are nothing to scoff at, but his vision is what truly set him apart in my eyes. Hoepfully he was able to see first hand what it takes to thrive in the NHL and his dad can help him make the adjustment to the NHL because his talent is unquestioned.

Not gonna deny the fact that I was chapped that the leafs got him as he was the second player (after Ehlers) that I wished the Canucks would have chosen. Alas, i can understand why we took Virtanen and he seems to have a bright future but if both reach their full potential Nylander will undoubtedly be the more influential player IMO.

The thing is, if Virtanen doesn't reach his full potential, he'll probably at the very least slot in as a good 3rd liner so that's a plus. He'll slot in top 9 somewhere, just depends on where. Nylander will be top 6 or nothing

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The thing is, if Virtanen doesn't reach his full potential, he'll probably at the very least slot in as a good 3rd liner so that's a plus. He'll slot in top 9 somewhere, just depends on where. Nylander will be top 6 or nothing

I would be very disappointed if Nylander failed to become a top 6 player. I cant say I've seen many players from Sweden at least that's better than him at his age. He perhaps need to be a liiiitle less of a puckhog, and he needs to improve on D, he prefer to be the star rather than the workhorse that for sure.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I would be very disappointed if Nylander failed to become a top 6 player. I cant say I've seen many players from Sweden at least that's better than him at his age. He perhaps need to be a liiiitle less of a puckhog, and he needs to improve on D, he prefer to be the star rather than the workhorse that for sure.

Very cool! It's always good to hear from Swedes about these guys who we have very little exposure to over here. And that's a very exciting vote of confidence :) Seems like the Swedes are pretty excited about him as well. I'm hoping that the puckhog tendencies go down as he gets older and under the influence of the Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad