C Tim Stützle (2020, 3rd, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I thought they'd be more competitive w the talent influx (Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Dadonov). Why aren't they giving Branstrom some run at this point? I mean can the D be worse as a team?

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I thought they'd be more competitive w the talent influx (Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Dadonov). Why aren't they giving Branstrom some run at this point? I mean can the D be worse as a team?

We really are not too sure lol. He was hurt a bit in training camp, but is seemingly healthy now. He was also playing over seas before camp so wouldn't be completely rusty.

Our D has really been terrible. Its a dead puck era D. They put the puck off the glass/boards every time, or the majority of the time at least so we don't have the puck all that much. The only D who can make a breakout pass is Chabot and Wolanin.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This is just my observations.
I am not saying he is not going to be a star player or anything.

Last two games he has struggled quite a bit.
Lots of Poor passes, and unfortunately seemed a bit lost on multiple plays across both games.

That being said, It's still so early, I am sure he will figure it out, Not worried in the least.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
These are really tough situations for any rookie, unless you're a McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin. You just can't expect him to look great on a team like that (no offense, Sens fans; we're not that much better either). If Germany isn't a good option than really the key is the Senators have to make sure there's really good leadership in that room for him. Good leadership can keep a prospect/young player from getting too down and putting too much on his own shoulders. Needless to say, none of what the Senators are going through right now is his fault.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
When Tyler Myers dangles you and Sutter out muscles you it just simply means youre not ready for NHL.

You can see he thinks the game at a high level but I don’t see why he is being rushed into the NHL.

it doesn’t benefit Stutzle because he isn’t effective , demolishing his confidence and he is developing bad habits.

it doesn’t benefit Ottawa because it just walks Stutzle 1 year sooner in free agency in the long run. That and they can be limiting his growth potential.

Reactions: Kleefeld and Kaizer

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The kid's 19. He's gonna be fine. He shows moments where he looks really good and moments where he looks like... a 19 year old rookie.

Reactions: bleedblue94

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
He has all the tools but the Sens player deployment suck right now and his game maturity + confidence at the NHL lvl obviously need to improve. Jimmy literally makes the hardest/cleanest pass on the team but plays around 11-12 mins a night and is coming off injuries (hand before WJC and now the minor injury) so some struggles can be expected.

I have a feeling he will end the year strong and come back next year ripping up the league like Jack Hughes has so far this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickMcC

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Honestly, none of this is surprising. Going into the draft, there were some who called him NHL-ready regardless of context, but for the most part it was “on a team like the Sens, he’s likely to make it”. Of course he has a lot of work to do. There are 37-year-old AHLers who go to the DEL and score a point per game. As impressive as his accomplishments in the DEL (and at the world juniors) were, he’s still a junior-aged player. He’ll need time to adjust and it’ll be even harder on a terrible team, but that’s all okay. He’ll get there. Give him time.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
From what I've seen he looks good, obviously he will have some struggles. I don't think it would have been a bad idea to loan him to SHL this season instead of rushing him to a bad Senators team. Regardless he's going to be a great player.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
In the games I’ve watched his play has left a lot to be desired. He also looks super small out there. There is talent there, but after seeing everyone talk about him after the wjc I was expecting soooooo much more

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
In the games I’ve watched his play has left a lot to be desired. He also looks super small out there. There is talent there, but after seeing everyone talk about him after the wjc I was expecting soooooo much more
I mean in the WJC he was pretty bad against Canada (I think he was a -7) and Russia. He had a great opening game against Finland, but after that struggled against the tougher competition. I think hes realizing what he could get away with at the WJC and to a lesser extent in the DEL is not going to fly in the NHL. I mean look at the Sutter play, he would do that in the DEL and WJC constantly and got burned hard for it in the NHL.

Kid is very talented and fun to watch but man did people overreact to several prospects during the WJC. The NHL is a different beast.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I dont think they necessarily overreact, but they just have the timeline wrong. These kids struggling at 18-19, even 20 years of age is perfectly normal and should be expected.
I meant overreact in terms to their direct impact in the NHL this season.

For example I saw projections for Stutzle to put up a 50-60 point pace.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Too light on his skates, needs to be more grounded and develop more lower body strength and power.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
You really need to calm down a bit. What were you expecting? He is playing 12 minutes a night with Tierney and Brown as a 19 year old rookie and people expect him to carry the whole senators team. I never understood why they wanted him so bad to play with this dumpster fire team this year. Nevertheless he had a really bad first game against the canucks especially defensive but he played decent yesterday.

Last edited:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
If I was Pierre, I'd put him in for a few more and then send him to the AHL to dominate. He needs a bit more maturity to his game like virtually every other 19 year old.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I dont think they necessarily overreact, but they just have the timeline wrong. These kids struggling at 18-19, even 20 years of age is perfectly normal and should be expected.

I remember running a little report on our forum of the # of 18, 19, 20 year olds playing vs. 'doing well' in the NHL at any given age and it's no shock that most of even the highest draft picks had mediocre 18 year old seasons, 'good' 19 year old seasons, and really broke out at 20 or 21. But generally expectations get beat up by the exceptions like McDavid and co., we need to better recognize that they're actually exceptions and not the rule. And the list was always single digits at 18, a few more at 19, a good amount more at 20, and really blew up at 21.

I have no problem with the taste he's been given of the show. I think he should be playing in the AHL once it starts though.

The proverbial cup of coffee had to be great for him regardless imo. He's played against men in a league on big ice, seeing the different time and space and the top level will surely give him aspirations as well as expectations and the staff will give him plenty of homework. He'll be better for this regardless. I didn't get to see much but he didn't look so out of place that it would be bad for him, you know?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
When Tyler Myers dangles you and Sutter out muscles you it just simply means youre not ready for NHL.

You can see he thinks the game at a high level but I don’t see why he is being rushed into the NHL.

it doesn’t benefit Stutzle because he isn’t effective , demolishing his confidence and he is developing bad habits.

it doesn’t benefit Ottawa because it just walks Stutzle 1 year sooner in free agency in the long run. That and they can be limiting his growth potential.

ooooh thats bad

yah, he might not be ready

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
I personally think you should try putting him on a line that actually complements his play style before you send him anywhere. Using the "shelter" strategy feels(and is starting to look more) like intentional tanking. Outside of that play at the blue where he got burnt he looked awesome. There were a couple instances he moved the puck to a player and the Sens should have scored. Most notably the powerplay he put right on stepans tape. High danger area, no D coverage, goalie out of position, but awful shot.

Truthfully sending him anywhere, but to a line with other high end offensive skill players seems wildly misplaced. The things he needs to develop, need to be developed with and against NHL players.

It might sound like sacrilege to Sens fans to suggest, but break up the Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson line. "But why would anyone break up the only line that consistently generates offense and in general works". Hmmm, I wonder if distributing some of the teams actual speedy offensive threats would make more than 1 line consistently effective? Just to clarify that statement is peppered with sarcasm.

First and foremost Brady Tkachuk is an incredibly unique talent because he has the ability to make just about any line dangerous. Colin White actually looked great in this most recent game and in the brief time Tkachuk - White - Dadonov were a line they were dominant.

Now, for Tim. Hampering his ability to produce offensively by saddling him with strong defensive, but average offensive presence players limits how much you can even utilize Tim as a player. The Sens staff seems to determined to force shelter a kid that would otherwise generate offense with other high offensive presence players.

Would a 2nd line of Stützle - Norris - Batheron, not be wildly more complementary to his play style? This is rhetorical because it does not take a hockey scientist to see Josh Norris and Drake Batherson have the speed, creativity, and play driving ability to elevate any line. Specifically it would blend perfectly and allow the team to actually utilize Tim.

3rd line Paul - Tierney - C. Brown. If you watched their first few games you know why this line works. They looked great together and really brought out the best play in each other.

4th line I personally would only roll 3 and give these guys splashes when needed. This isn't the line I would rollout as I would have more youth on the 4th line, but I could realistically see the coach going Galchenyuk - Stepan - Watson. Watson has actually been pretty good in his specific role.

There is no fixing the D or net presence, but the offense can easily improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad