C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don't like the Habs, but I don't know why you would think they would ruin his development. The only player who has been weirdly managed in recent years that you could fault them for ruining is Galchenyuk, and even then, its hard to put them completely at fault.

I like Poehling pre-draft, and thought he'd be a good option at 17. I don't think he has the skill to be a bonafide number 1, but I think his size and strength could allow him to become a Backes type player.
Prime Backes or current Backes?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I don't like the Habs, but I don't know why you would think they would ruin his development. The only player who has been weirdly managed in recent years that you could fault them for ruining is Galchenyuk, and even then, its hard to put them completely at fault.

I like Poehling pre-draft, and thought he'd be a good option at 17. I don't think he has the skill to be a bonafide number 1, but I think his size and strength could allow him to become a Backes type player.

I think if he goes to a proper team he could be developed into a 1C hes just THAT talented

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

This organization has a history of trying to turn wingers in to centers and vice versa. It goes back to Leclair. They wanted him to be a center. He wasn't suited to it, they mismanaged him, and moved him.

Whether the eye test or the stats test, Galchenyuk plays his best at center. But, this club goes out and gets a winger and thinks he'll be a be a center - when no one in Tampa felt that way. Don't get me wrong, I like the Drouin addition. It adds young skill up front. But, whole situation is a cluster @#$%.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Looks more in the mold of an O'Reilly than a Backes, I think.

Better skater than O'Reilly, but I also dont think he's as physical or physically imposing as Backes was. Backes was 6'3 200lbs as a teen at his draft (221lbs and appears a little taller now too). Poehling is 6'2 182lbs right now and doesn't take the body as much or fight. Not sure what would be a good comparison though, but he's the prototypical two-way, #2 type centre.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It’s a joke he wasn’t included in the Top 50 prospects.
I will never understand this.

That list included prospects from what the last 3 seasons? Thats an awful lot.

Almost everyone from 2017 is producing.
There are 31 NHL teams.

Poehling was drafted 25th overall and was ranked around that spot as well.

Yet you think its a joke he wasnt included.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I will never understand this.

That list included prospects from what the last 3 seasons? Thats an awful lot.

Almost everyone from 2017 is producing.
There are 31 NHL teams.

Poehling was drafted 25th overall and was ranked around that spot as well.

Yet you think its a joke he wasnt included.

He wouldve gone much higher if he didnt go NCAA in his draft year

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So you say scouts watch the statssheet and dont know that these 17 year olds are playing against young men ?
Scouts watch games but if the player doesnt produce hes still going to fall. At the end of the day you want production no matter the league. Its a reason why Veleno or even Denisenko are risky prospects and they are probably ranked lower than they should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad