C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I agree he's alone in a tough situation adapting to a new team while all the others have chemistry already.

I think he's been fine in most aspects of the game but would have expected more, especially when he's ranked in most top 15s at the moment. Not saying he was bad or anything, just that from today's game you couldn't say he was a top 15 pick.

I can agree with that.. Poehling has to step up and take a top role, it won't be given to him with the chemistry these guys have.

The one player I have really talked up for years is Evan Barratt. This tournament hopefully helps shine more light on him as if Poehling has been considered a top 15 pick, I can flip these two without a second thought and call Barratt a top 15 pick. He reminds me so much of Colin White with how he plays the game. Just a competent, complete, skilled center that isn't going to wow you but his name will constantly be mentioned as he is always involved in plays both sides of the puck.

Poehling has time to step up and showcase his ability, and I hope he does...but Barratt since the exhibition has been dynamite and hopefully gets a nice boost from this.

And man I really like Wahlstrom - kid is going to be a bigtime player.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I can agree with that.. Poehling has to step up and take a top role, it won't be given to him with the chemistry these guys have.

The one player I have really talked up for years is Evan Barratt. This tournament hopefully helps shine more light on him as if Poehling has been considered a top 15 pick, I can flip these two without a second thought and call Barratt a top 15 pick. He reminds me so much of Colin White with how he plays the game. Just a competent, complete, skilled center that isn't going to wow you but his name will constantly be mentioned as he is always involved in plays both sides of the puck.

Poehling has time to step up and showcase his ability, and I hope he does...but Barratt since the exhibition has been dynamite and hopefully gets a nice boost from this.

And man I really like Wahlstrom - kid is going to be a bigtime player.

Not a popular opinion but I believe Barratt is the best 2017 eligible from the NTDP this year. He's not the most dynamic skater but he's a complete player, physical, and is a very very very good playmaker with excellent vision. He's just a very smart hockey player creating offense with quick little passes that not many players will try. He's very impressive to me.

I don't see how some rankings have him the 3rd or even 4th round and then have Reedy close to the first round.

As for Wahlstrom, he can definitely bury his chances and he seems to have a lot of great tools (skating, shot). I like him quite a bit, just not as much as Farabee.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Poehling has time to step up and showcase his ability, and I hope he does...

I just happened to switch to the US/Russia game, in the 8 minutes I watched he took a bad penalty and scored twice, still a period to go

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Think Under 18s bump Poehling up to being drafted in Top 10. Like the Skating, Hustle, Size, IQ. Offense will come around. Button compared what he brings to Jordan Staal. With all the High End Offense Centers in NHL, He can be one to match up in defensive shutdown mode or be a number 2 center, chip in offensively, and high corsi. Think you win with these types of players.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Calgary would have to trade up to get him. Poehling reminds me more of Kesler in skillset than Jordan Staal as Button thinks. Who knows if he develops the determination and tenacity Kesler has.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Pretty happy about drafting Poehling as I really liked his Ivan Hlinka tournament and feel he can be a pretty good middle 6 center with size and everything.

He definitely fills a glaring need in our system.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Calgary would have to trade up to get him. Poehling reminds me more of Kesler in skillset than Jordan Staal as Button thinks. Who knows if he develops the determination and tenacity Kesler has.

I didnt see much of him outside some highlights but from those videos Ryan Kesler is the one that came to my mind as well..

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Poehling very impressive for Team USA yesterday. Big, fast, 200 foot game, great playmaker.

His 3 assists:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I think Poehling looked very good in all the games I saw him play. Very heady player. Fox reminded me of Duncan Keith more times than I can count. Middlestadt is very skilled and looks like he will be a top 6 player.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Didn't get to catch the games but from the highlights he looked great and 5 points in 2 games against his peers is awesome when his offense was one of the question marks in his game

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This kid is going to be real good I think. I think by this time next year he's going to be considered a near top prospect in the NHL. Seems like he could end up as a Kesler type of player.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Last year Mete in the 4th, this year Poehling @ 25. Not a fan of this "Habs drafting my targets in great value slots" trend.

Poehlings offensive potential was hugely underrated because not enough stock was put into playing NCAA as a U18 straight out of highschool. It's a unique and hard road, not at all comparable to being a U19 freshman after 2 years in the USNDP or USHL. If I remember right the last forward to take that path was Toews.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought he accelerated his HS so he could play with his brothers at SCSU? In other words, he played NCAA when he was of HS senior age, like Nick Bjugstad(who was a 6'6" man child in HS).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->