C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Would Zajac or Eller be a good comparable for Poehling?

I think his upside is higher than Eller. He has some real talent. Look at his hands, he is such a good deflector with the puck in front of the net. He's also good at protecting the puck down low and he's good at finding the open man. His 2-way play is all icing on the cake. He's got good size and a good skater. I really like this prospect, honestly he's going to be a huge riser this year.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Haven't been excited that much for a Habs prospect for a long time. This guy looks like a steal seriously, his skating, puck handling and vision are pretty good.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
This kid is going to be real good I think. I think by this time next year he's going to be considered a near top prospect in the NHL. Seems like he could end up as a Kesler type of player.

Ya I think Kesler is an interesting comparable. He's not quite as feisty as Kesler, particularly young Kesler, but similar types of players. Both good size/speed guys who play with very high compete levels. Poehlings more of a playmaker though and less of a goal scorer, more Getzlaf in that capacoty (not saying he's Getzlaf). Looking at Poehlings skating, he's already fast for his size, but I think there is another level there still. His stride can be improved, right now his speed is based on pure athleticism. If he can shore up his stride, his size/speed could be Kesler like.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I was "meh" on the pick when it was made (not enthused but not mad or anything), but it seems like we actually got a good one here, and to make it even better, he's a center.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was "meh" on the pick when it was made (not enthused but not mad or anything), but it seems like we actually got a good one here, and to make it even better, he's a center.

I'm predicting he rises like Boeser did last year. I think he's going to have a dominant year in the NCAA while being more polished than a guy like Borgstrom. You guys got a good one.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Loved his game in the few clips/moments that I caught.

We badly need him to develop and be that top center we have been waiting for. Him behind Galchenyuk would be nice in 2-3 years

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Looking like a great pick so far. Hopefully he can carry this momentum into his next season in college.

Didn't like him coming into the draft but if he can continue to produce like he has in this tourney he'll swing me soon enough

Hated the pick but I'm eating crow so far. Hope he keeps it up.

Haven't been excited that much for a Habs prospect for a long time. This guy looks like a steal seriously, his skating, puck handling and vision are pretty good.

I think everyone needs to pump the breaks big time. I've long considered these types of showcases along with rookie camps as very poor windows into a players progression. 2 exhibition games post draft tells us very very little about him.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I think everyone needs to pump the breaks big time. I've long considered these types of showcases along with rookie camps as very poor windows into a players progression. 2 exhibition games post draft tells us very very little about him.

I'm not saying the kid's a stud or something but I really like his physical ability and type of play. For a 25th overall I thought he should've gone higher in the draft.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm not saying the kid's a stud or something but I really like his physical ability and type of play. For a 25th overall I thought he should've gone higher in the draft.

For me 2 picks that made 0 sense picking over Poehling were Josh Norris(19-SJ) and Robert Thomas(20th-STL). All 3 are similar like players but I think Poehling will be the best of the 3

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

In that game against Canada, we saw him on the same ice as Logan Brown, Michael McLeod, and Pierre Luc Dubois, and Poehling was the best centerman in the game.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
For me 2 picks that made 0 sense picking over Poehling were Josh Norris(19-SJ) and Robert Thomas(20th-STL). All 3 are similar like players but I think Poehling will be the best of the 3

Exactly what I thought too. I expected Thomas to go to the Habs and when Vesalainen dropped I was rooting for him but I am more than happy with Poehling. More than Thomas.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Thomas is easily the best playmaker of that trio. Had the most primary assists for any U19 player in the OHL last year. More than Suzuki and Vilardi.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Ya I liked Thomas and Norris as well. Norris is a pretty damn impressive size/speed guy. I think it's just a testament to how deep this draft was.

Jethlan

Apr 3, 2017
RDP
Loved his game in the few clips/moments that I caught.

We badly need him to develop and be that top center we have been waiting for. Him behind Galchenyuk would be nice in 2-3 years

Now what make you think Galchenyuk won't be traded by then?:sarcasm:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Wasn't prepared for the burst of speed rushing the puck out of his end on that third goal in the clip. Head up, good vision, good passing. We'll see if he can shoot.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
In that game against Canada, we saw him on the same ice as Logan Brown, Michael McLeod, and Pierre Luc Dubois, and Poehling was the best centerman in the game.

It was one exhibition game in the middle of the summer - scouts know this is a very poor evaluation gauge.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica

I don't think people should be pumping the breaks at all. They're not talking about his progress at all. They're finally able to compare and contrast him to his age group.

Part of the reason people were suspicious of his standing as a prospect was because he played against men, some 6 years older than him, as a 17 year old in the NCAA, and it was hard to get a good read on his skill levels. This was an opportunity to see how he compared. And you can't argue that he didn't compare very favorably

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Frankly I don't see more out of this guy than Jankowski...

That being said, I truly believe that Janko has developed into a dominant prospect, so i guess it's just how you view him now.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
as promising as he was during the WJSS, one short tourney wont tell his future.

the next 2 years he needs to elevate his O while maintaining his good D work if he wants to succeed.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Great start to the year for Poehling with 10 points (3G 7A) in 6 games. His team is 6-0 to start the year and he's been a huge part of their success. Their coach, Bob Motzko, said he reminds him of Mikko Koivu. Here's the article in French with a quick translation.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/11/01/ryan-me-fait-penser-a-mikko-koivu-bob-motzko

His coach basically says that if the draft was re-done today, that Ryan would certainly go higher then where he was picked. He said the Habs made a great pick and the reason a lot of teams passed on him is because they weren't sure of his offensive upside, but that he was only 17 years old playing against men that were 23 and 24 in some cases.

Ryan said he was going through a lot of changes last year including being away from home for the first time and starting university at 17 years old. he feels way more comfortable this year and implicated in the offense. He wanted to prove to people that he can drive the offense if given the chance. He never considered himself a strictly defensive prospect.

His coach mentioned that he's a major reason for their success this year so far and that he's their number 1 centre. He says that he knows the Canadiens have been looking for good centre for a long time and Ryan is exactly that. He reminds him of Mikko Koivu in that he can do everything.

Lastly, Rob Ramage who's the Director of Player Development for the Habs said that he's a complete centre who's very mature and he's also putting up big points this year along. All teams are looking for this style player with this size ( 6 foot 2, 200 pounds).

Can 't wait to see him at the World Juniors against the best players of his age!

Reactions: Stive Morgan

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Really liked this guy pre draft and expected him to be doing this well but kinda worried hes been drafted by Montreal as could damage his development unless hes traded pretty soon like Serg was i guess we will see

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really liked this guy pre draft and expected him to be doing this well but kinda worried hes been drafted by Montreal as could damage his development unless hes traded pretty soon like Serg was i guess we will see
I don't like the Habs, but I don't know why you would think they would ruin his development. The only player who has been weirdly managed in recent years that you could fault them for ruining is Galchenyuk, and even then, its hard to put them completely at fault.

I like Poehling pre-draft, and thought he'd be a good option at 17. I don't think he has the skill to be a bonafide number 1, but I think his size and strength could allow him to become a Backes type player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->