C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Jul 6, 2016
He should play at AHL level right now. Too bad Habs have-had so many injuries to their forwards.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He should play at AHL level right now. Too bad Habs have-had so many injuries to their forwards.

Agreed, but he shows some pretty good stuff recently on a line with Kotkaniemi despite not getting much results.

I am still not worried at all about Poehling's lack of production and think he will be a good one for us, although it might be more as a third-liner than as a second-liner as I'd hoped. All is possible nevertheless and you never know when a certain player just begins to ''get it'', comes into his own in a dominating fashion.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'm hoping for a trajectory similar to Blake Coleman. Play full 4 years at University, get some experience in the AHL and a quick taste of the NHL. Had 2 points in 23 seasons in his first year with the Devils, then 25 points in 79 games, before breaking out at his 3rd season with 36 points in 78 games and now he's a legit two-way top-6 forward for them. Coleman might be a little bit quicker but Poehling is bigger.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm hoping for a trajectory similar to Blake Coleman. Play full 4 years at University, get some experience in the AHL and a quick taste of the NHL. Had 2 points in 23 seasons in his first year with the Devils, then 25 points in 79 games, before breaking out at his 3rd season with 36 points in 78 games and now he's a legit two-way top-6 forward for them. Coleman might be a little bit quicker but Poehling is bigger.

it's an interesting comp, I don't recall Coleman in the NCAA for Miami but I'm hoping Poehling can end up in time around that level of production. If he can be a 40ish pt player or close to it then I will be happy.

He was always seen at least to me to be a prospect that will end up a solid NHLer, just I didn't buy into the top line upside or that he should remotely be in the running for rookie of the year. I felt way too many were using the he played with his brothers excuse as well, that said it's not it's easy to predict how someone's point totals in the NCAA will translate to the NHL but when you are on the top team and the 2nd highest scoring and struggle to produce it's certainly not a good sign. But really like the way he plays and think he will be fine, just would be surprised if he becomes a 60 pt player.

Last edited:
Reactions: De Montreal

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I think it's way too early to figure out what kind of producer he'll be at the NHL level. A perfect comparable is Danault, they both had very similar production at the same point in their career and he is on pace for 60 points.

Was I expecting more from Poehling at this point? Yes

That said, I'm not concerned at all with him; he has all the tools to be a very solid 2 way player in the NHL. Let's just be patient with him.

Jul 6, 2016
I think it's way too early to figure out what kind of producer he'll be at the NHL level. A perfect comparable is Danault, they both had very similar production at the same point in their career and he is on pace for 60 points.

Was I expecting more from Poehling at this point? Yes

That said, I'm not concerned at all with him; he has all the tools to be a very solid 2 way player in the NHL. Let's just be patient with him.

Patient: yes. Over optimistic: no.

Reactions: montreal
Aug 25, 2009
éal
I think the only thing standing between Poehling and a career in the NHL is himself. His commitment has been questioned on the past. If he is focused on his play he will become a fine middle six guy.

Reactions: Just Linda

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know peeps are down on Poehling but he has everything you want in a modern NHL forward - he looks invigorated, fitter and faster than last season. Just because he isn’t quite NHL ready doesn’t mean he’s not going to succeed. Still think he will

He certainly looks quicker out there and that's saying something as he was never slow but he's been flying out there all season. I never thought he had much offensive upside but enough to be a solid bottom 6 NHLer.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I think Poehling wants to be traded, and realises that will be more likely to happen if he plays well. After they drafted him, they traded for a higher drafted centre from the same draft, and used the 3rd overall pick in the next draft on a centre. As well as grabbing more in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Not exactly showing strong faith in him. (MOD)

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownies

I think Poehling wants to be traded, and realises that will be more likely to happen if he plays well. After they drafted him, they traded for a higher drafted centre from the same draft, and used the 3rd overall pick in the next draft on a centre. As well as grabbing more in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Not exactly showing strong faith in him. (MOD)
You believe Montreal should have stopped drafting C after Poehling, to show faith in him, when they were experimenting with wingers Drouin and Domi as C in their top 6 ? They needed more than 1 C and there's always more failed experiments than true success with prospects.

The only time I believe Poehling could have been treated better isin the bubble last year. The guy came out of shape (in their opinion), but they could have make a few excuses and not throw him under the bus. I believe some time in the AHL is and has always been the best solution unless a player destroy everything in camp. At this point, I could see Poehling being recalled at some point, make the team for good and develop a good relationship with a new coach... or it could be a few years of meh and him leaving. Hard to say at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Poehling has been looking good.

If I am the Habs, I let Danault walk in the offseason and promote everyone a step up in the lineup.

Suzuki
KK
Evans
Poehling

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I think Poehling wants to be traded, and realises that will be more likely to happen if he plays well.

Not exactly showing strong faith in him.

There is no evidence for this. He's a guy who last season suffered from the pressure - just part of growing up - he didn't play well. This year he has had a change in attitude and his play has been vastly improved. They've shown faith in him - they pulled him out of college early, they gave him a ton of NHL games last year. Everything is on course - he's growing as a player and person and he'll force his way back into the NHL in no time.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Poehling is still a guy I have faith in due to his size and athletic ability. He’s flashed some good offence, but hasn’t been able to be consistent. He should top out as a good 3C, but won’t be that next year

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Poehling has been looking good.

If I am the Habs, I let Danault walk in the offseason and promote everyone a step up in the lineup.

Suzuki
KK
Evans
Poehling
That is some weak depth and no real vet presence.
The guy is just another bust who likely ends up in the KHL.
Man the Habs are God awful at drafting,

Reactions: Uncle

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
That is a very, very young center line.
The PIT Penguins won a cup with

Crosby age 21
Malkin age 22
Staal age 19

Granted non of these guys are Crosby and / or Malkin, but experience does not equals talent.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
The PIT Penguins won a cup with

Crosby age 21
Malkin age 22
Staal age 19

Granted non of these guys are Crosby and / or Malkin, but experience does not equals talent.

Not to mention they all play a 200ft game.

If we had a bunch of Domis/Galchenyuks then sure we'd need a vet.

But Suzuki and Evans are already just as good as Danault on the PK and as much as they need to work on faceoffs, it's not like Danault is some world beater at 51%. At their age it's easy to improve 3-4% in a year with hard work.

So I don't really buy that we can't ice those four centers next year.

Put it this way, would you rather spend 8+ million on Danault + Armia/Lehkonen or Hall + Poehling?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00