C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Not to mention they all play a 200ft game.

If we had a bunch of Domis/Galchenyuks then sure we'd need a vet.

But Suzuki and Evans are already just as good as Danault on the PK and as much as they need to work on faceoffs, it's not like Danault is some world beater at 51%. At their age it's easy to improve 3-4% in a year with hard work.

So I don't really buy that we can't ice those four centers next year.

Put it this way, would you rather spend 8+ million on Danault + Armia/Lehkonen or Hall + Poehling?

Wouldn't touch Hall with a 10ft pole.

But, would ask the Flames about Johnny Gaudreau.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Wouldn't touch Hall with a 10ft pole.

But, would ask the Flames about Johnny Gaudreau.

One is free and would likely be signed to a bargain contract.

The other would cost a boatload of assets and cheap ones at that like KK or Romanov which makes it even more difficult to fit under the cap as we would need to replace those players with much more expensive alternatives.

Let's also not forget we traded for Josh Anderson who scored 1 goal in 26 games last year. Hall's a very good player and if put in a good situation he'll bounce back. I'd be happy going into next year with the following:

Toffoli - Suzuki - Anderson (Shutdown)
Hall - KK - Caufield
Drouin - Poehling - Gallagher
Byron/Lehkonen - Evans - Perry/Ylonen

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Talent was always there. He just needed to gain some maturity which look like he did.

PPG at 21 in the AHL is pretty good.

I think it's more than just the stat watching that's getting people excited. He's been improved in every part of his game.

Most importantly - he's dominating shifts and taking over games - even when the points haven't come. He creates turnovers, moves the puck quickly and with poise. He's forechecking with abandon, playing in the hard areas and finding the open ice and converting chances. Defensively, he's integrated himself as part of a system that can shut down other lines.

The part of his game that is new, in that I didn't see much of in college, is simply this extra gear he's flashing in his skating. The other night he had three or four straight out breakaways. His feet are really moving and to me this part of his game was always going to be the determining factor in if he was going to make it as a NHL regular or something a whole lot more.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The thing that has me most excited is the creativity. I knew he had the size and straight ahead speed to play in the NHL. But the vision and playmaking has grown by leaps and bounds. He's attempting neat little passes showing vision and creativity that wasn't there even at the NCAA level.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Anyone have an update on this guy?

Has he worn his stay with his NHL team?

Is there any future for him in the league?

He is expected back in the lineup for Laval tonight after getting hit in the back of the head as it was just precaution due to previous head injury.

He will very likely see time in the NHL at some point this year and I would think he's on an NHL roster next season, 4th line center or winger.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
he's been playing some pretty good hockey of late. I know when he got sent down many were calling him a bust but HF isn't known for it's patience

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
he's been playing some pretty good hockey of late. I know when he got sent down many were calling him a bust but HF isn't known for it's patience

Patience?

We are 5 years out from his draft here and so far it looks iffy if he is ever going to be a regular NHL player.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If you watch the games, he’s been not only serviceable but one of the bright spots on the season.

Well really how much is that saying and to be honest in the Montreal games i have watched this year the whole teams just hasn't looked all that great so it's hard to tell.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Well really how much is that saying and to be honest in the Montreal games i have watched this year the whole teams just hasn't looked all that great so it's hard to tell.
The team looks a lot better now with MSL at coach. And I’m not saying that as though it’s a good thing, I’m genuinely fearful we’re gonna win more games down the stretch than I’d like. Poehling looks great and he’s a keeper. Looks like a middle sixer at the very least. Guy has all the tools to hit a higher ceiling than that as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The team looks a lot better now with MSL at coach. And I’m not saying that as though it’s a good thing, I’m genuinely fearful we’re gonna win more games down the stretch than I’d like. Poehling looks great and he’s a keeper. Looks like a middle sixer at the very least. Guy has all the tools to hit a higher ceiling than that as well.

I'm not sure about that, like I said it's 5 years out and all it takes is for the Habs to draft 2 centers with their next 2 first rounders and suddenly he looks borderline NHL material.

Or the newer younger guys like Kidney or Mysak pass him on the depth charts it could very easily happen.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm not sure about that, like I said it's 5 years out and all it takes is for the Habs to draft 2 centers with their next 2 first rounders and suddenly he looks borderline NHL material.

Or the newer younger guys like Kidney or Mysak pass him on the depth charts it could very easily happen.
I’d be shocked if he were passed by the likes of Mysak or Kidney. Those guys are what you are calling Poehling- unproven and worse tools. If we draft Shane Wright, Poehling is our 3C. If not, he could end up as the 2C. I don’t know why you’re randomly hating on a guy you clearly aren’t watching or know anything about.

Reactions: Deam78

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I’d be shocked if he were passed by the likes of Mysak or Kidney. Those guys are what you are calling Poehling- unproven and worse tools. If we draft Shane Wright, Poehling is our 3C. If not, he could end up as the 2C. I don’t know why you’re randomly hating on a guy you clearly aren’t watching or know anything about.

Relax just because I'm not a Habs fan I'm not hating on a guy just observing.

The bottom line is that we are 5 years out of the draft and he is a borderline NHLer.

He probably won't be passed by Mysak or Kidney but I guess I'm hating on them for saying that too eh?

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Relax just because I'm not a Habs fan I'm not hating on a guy just observing.

The bottom line is that we are 5 years out of the draft and he is a borderline NHLer.

He probably won't be passed by Mysak or Kidney but I guess I'm hating on them for saying that too eh?
i think Poehling is playing good hockey atm and will remain in the NHL,alot of us maybe got exited when he scored 4 goals in hes first nhl game but he was always projected to be a #3 C and thats where we still see him

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00