C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017, 2nd, PHI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
if you scroll through this thread you have actual fans, that gave a description of how he plays, and a lot of them mention that his superior play making abilities, sniping skills, and strength with the puck is men among boys. Just scroll through the previous pages.

Bergeron ones is a head scratcher. Bergeron is listed 6'1 190, at the age of 31. Nolan Patrick is currently 6'3 200, probably will cap off at 6'4 225 by the time he hits his late 20's, not to mention Bergeron is a pretty fast skater, Patrick speed is not that fast.

Big bodied player centreman, who is strong with the puck, excellent play making skills and toughness, why is Getlzaf not a decent comparison?
Patrick is more of a goal scorer than a playmaker when compared to Kopitar and Getzlaf. If you want to take it to an extreme use Toews, more realistically use Sean Monahan. I'd say Patrick's best offensive tools are his combination of hockey IQ which is knowing where to be, and his release. He'll get a fair amount of assists because he wins battles to retain possession which then allows him to get it to the open man. Getzlaf and Kopitar rarely break the 30 goal threshold, but consistently get over 45 assists (and in Getzlaf's case 50). I'd expect Patrick to be a 25 to 35 goal guy with maybe 30 to 45 assists on average depending on yearly variation. That is much closer to how Toews and Monahan's offensive numbers look. All 4 of those guys play with tenacity and are constantly winning battles while being tough to play against. But, I don't think he has quite Kopitar or Getzlaf's vision.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Was really good last night in Brandon's 2-1 W over Everett. 1A but hit a post as well as setting up Clague for a gimmie but he hit the post as well. Was constantly stealing the puck and deflecting passes. In the last 2 minutes of the 3rd he didn't come off the ice to secure the win

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
He is just picking up and looks like he doesn't belong in the league. He is a man child... Getzlaf caliber player is not out of the question at all.. for people that have not seen him live and are judging off YouTube highlights... His presence is all over the ice, you have to watch a full game or in person to appreciate that. No comparison is perfect but that one isn't far off. If you want to say he is more of a shooter, fine, he is probably somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between Getzlaf and Carter - no not a combination but somewhere in the middle of their two skillsets. But that is the kind of big man, 200 foot all encompassing presence he has.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Watched him in Saskatoon tonight and his passes look so effortless. Just a perfect saucer pass perfectly onto a teammates stick almost every time. 2A in a 3-2 OT loss but a little unlucky on a couple plays or it could've been more. You have to watch him live to truly understand how highly he thinks the game and positions himself

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just thought I'd give this thread a bump to say Patrick's game is on Sportsnet 1 right now. The first period just ended.

JA

I thought he had a very mediocre game. He created very little offensively and was very tentative. His passes were sloppy, and I don't think he had a shot on goal. Most of his shifts were spent hemmed in his own zone; his line was unable to sustain pressure in the offensive zone. I didn't see him carry it in once -- instead, he either dumped the puck in for someone else to retrieve it, or deferred the zone entry to another player. He wasn't around the puck much at all in this game, and part of it was because he stayed far too high up in the offensive zone; he didn't engage in the play or forecheck very hard. It seemed too much like he was waiting for others to create his chances for him in this game.

Rob Faulds interviewed Patrick just before the second period and asked him what the difference was between the two teams' starts. Patrick stated bluntly that the team, himself included, did not come out prepared, but needed to get things back on track. They did not.

The Wheat Kings had only one shot after the first period. After two periods, they had been outshot 29-8. The powerplay opportunities were 3 to 2 in favor of Moose Jaw.

It was a one-goal game with over a period remaining in the match, yet I didn't see him elevate his game today.

He was on the ice in the final two minutes as the Wheat Kings attempted to tie the game; the Warriors broke free for an odd-man rush and made the score 3-1. He played a very passive game today, and the Warriors were successfully able to contain him when he had the puck in the offensive zone; he wasn't given much time or space when he had the puck.

On a positive note, he won most of his faceoff attempts. He won the faceoff that resulted in Mattheos' goal. Clague shot the puck on net from the point and Mattheos deposited the rebound.

This was the Wheat Kings' only regular season match to be aired on Sportsnet this season. It was a sleeper for those who tuned in specifically to watch Patrick. The Warriors players, however, put on a show.

http://www.brandonsun.com/sports/wheat-kings/Warriors-beat-Wheat-Kins-3-1-413795493.html?thx=y
Warriors beat Wheat Kings 3-1
By: Perry Bergson
Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2017 at 11:10 PM

Stelio Mattheos had Brandon’s only goal as the Wheat Kings were badly outshot 34-16, including 12-1 in the first period in a game nationally televised on Sportsnet.

Brandon head coach David Anning said his team simply didn’t show up.

"I thought we were lacking energy, lacking enthusiasm and got caught standing around a lot," he said. "As a result, I thought our execution was poor and we played a slow game and we didn’t generate. We didn’t give ourselves a good enough chance here tonight."

Last edited by a moderator:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I haven't been keeping up with this draft class as much as I usually do. Are people / experts still considering him a sub par #1 pick?

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
This thread is very quiet for a player with such a good shot at going first overall.

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
This thread is very quiet for a player with such a good shot at going first overall.

I think it's a combination of a few things. There's quite a step down from McDavid/Eichel/Matthews/Laine to Patrick. A bit of what you might call a "hype hangover". Also, with Colorado pretty much locking up last overall already, and the Vegas' introduction harming the odds of all the lottery teams, I'd imagine most fans of bad teams don't think they have much of a shot at first overall.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hockey community has been spoiled by the likes of McDavid, Eichel and Laine who all went at the top-end of previous drafts.....just not that high-end draft class in 2017.....but Patrick will be a solid NHL'er....actually the comparisons to Getzlaf aren't too far off...but will take time.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Got some points against the raiders but didn't look like anything special. Was the second star of the game but can't recall any moment where he looked head and shoulders above the competition.

JA

Nolan Patrick's home and away splits through 19 games this season (2016-17):

10 goals, 21 points in 11 home games (1.90 points per game). Eight of those twenty-one points, aka 38.1% of his home points, were scored on the powerplay. His aggregate plus-minus rating through 11 home games is +12.

3 goals, 11 points in 8 away games (1.375 points per game). Four of those eleven points, aka 36.36% of his away points, were scored on the powerplay. His aggregate plus-minus rating through 8 away games is +1.

In total, 37.5% of his points so far were scored on the powerplay. He has 2 powerplay goals, and 10 powerplay assists.

Tuesday's game against the Warriors was played in Moose Jaw.

https://mjtimes.sk.ca/sports/2017/02/15/warriors-impressive-win-brandon/
Warriors impressive in win over Brandon
By Randy Palmer -
February 15, 2017

The Moose Jaw Warriors finally figured out how to avoid overtime with the Brandon Wheat Kings and the solution was as obvious as could be: work hard like the coaching staff has been asking of you and the results will follow.

That strategy might not have worked perfectly against the Everett Silvertips one game earlier — a 2-0 loss on Saturday — but, boy oh boy was it effective against Brandon in the seventh of eight meetings between the two teams this season.

The Warriors outshot the Wheat Kings 12 -1 in the first period — with that one shot not coming until 12 minutes had passed — and 29-8 through two on their way to a 3-1 victory in Western Hockey League action at Mosaic Place on Tuesday.

“I think we did a good job defensively together as a team and not just the d-men. We limited their chances and that was a bit part of the win,” said Warriors defenceman Matt Sozanski, who had an assist in the game and was a key cog in the efficient defensive zone puck movement that limited Brandon’s chances. “We know they have a bunch of skill up the middle, so we just tried to keep the puck out of the middle and in the hard areas along the boards so they couldn’t generate any speed through the middle.”

A major part of that was limiting the chances the top line of Stelio Mattheos, Tyler Coulter and projected NHL Draft first overall pick Nolan Patrick were able to generate — a job that largely fell to the Warriors’ line of Tanner Jeannot, Thomas Foster and Spencer Bast.

Their performance drew rave reviews from Warriors head coach Tim Hunter, who pointed to the overall team showing as a lesson learned through the handful of tough losses over their last few games.
To compare: Nico Hischier.

26 goals, 48 points in 25 home games (1.92 points per game). Nine goals, eighteen home points, aka 37.5% of Hischier's home points, were scored on the powerplay. His aggregate plus-minus rating through 25 home games is +8.

11 goals, 28 points in 20 away games (1.4 points per game). Two goals, nine away points, aka 32.1% of Hischier's away points, were scored on the powerplay. His aggregate plus-minus rating through 20 away games is +14.

In total, 35.5% of his points so far were scored on the powerplay. Hischier has 11 powerplay goals, and 16 powerplay assists.

Since October 26, 2016 (Hischier):

24 goals, 41 points in 18 home games (2.28 points per game) with a plus-minus rating of +10. Nine goals, sixteen home points, aka 39.03% of Hischier's home points, were scored on the powerplay.

8 goals, 22 points in 14 away games (1.57 points per game) with a plus-minus rating of +14. One goal, six away points, aka 27.27% of Hischier's away points, were scored on the powerplay.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think it's a combination of a few things. There's quite a step down from McDavid/Eichel/Matthews/Laine to Patrick. A bit of what you might call a "hype hangover". Also, with Colorado pretty much locking up last overall already, and the Vegas' introduction harming the odds of all the lottery teams, I'd imagine most fans of bad teams don't think they have much of a shot at first overall.

Colorado has 20% chance to land 1st overall. That's not too much.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
He is just picking up and looks like he doesn't belong in the league. He is a man child... Getzlaf caliber player is not out of the question at all.. for people that have not seen him live and are judging off YouTube highlights... His presence is all over the ice, you have to watch a full game or in person to appreciate that. No comparison is perfect but that one isn't far off. If you want to say he is more of a shooter, fine, he is probably somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between Getzlaf and Carter - no not a combination but somewhere in the middle of their two skillsets. But that is the kind of big man, 200 foot all encompassing presence he has.

Getzlaf, Kopitar and Carter type of player would be a nice for a 1-2 punch in the avs after Mack's speedy first line, Patrick's line drains down the opponent with second. This is why I prefer Patrick over Hischier cause we have Mac. Eventhough in today's nhl speed is highly valuable

Roberto Lu bongo

Apr 14, 2016
Nolan Patrick's home and away splits through 19 games this season (2016-17):

10 goals, 21 points in 11 home games (1.90 points per game). Eight of those twenty-one points, aka 38.1% of his home points, were scored on the powerplay. His aggregate plus-minus rating through 11 home games is +12.

3 goals, 10 points in 8 away games (1.25 points per game). Four of those ten points, aka 40% of his away points, were scored on the powerplay. His aggregate plus-minus rating through 8 away games is +1.

In total, 38.7% of his points so far were scored on the powerplay. He has 2 powerplay goals, and 10 powerplay assists.

Tuesday's game against the Warriors was played in Moose Jaw.

https://mjtimes.sk.ca/sports/2017/02/15/warriors-impressive-win-brandon/

To compare: Nico Hischier.

26 goals, 48 points in 25 home games (1.92 points per game). Nine goals, eighteen home points, aka 37.5% of Hischier's home points, were scored on the powerplay. His aggregate plus-minus rating through 25 home games is +8.

11 goals, 28 points in 20 away games (1.4 points per game). Two goals, nine away points, aka 32.1% of Hischier's away points, were scored on the powerplay. His aggregate plus-minus rating through 20 away games is +14.

In total, 35.5% of his points so far were scored on the powerplay. Hischier has 11 powerplay goals, and 16 powerplay assists.

24 goals, 41 points in 18 home games (2.28 points per game) with a plus-minus rating of +10. Nine goals, sixteen home points, aka 39.03% of Hischier's home points, were scored on the powerplay.

8 goals, 22 points in 14 away games (1.57 points per game) with a plus-minus rating of +14. One goal, six away points, aka 27.27% of Hischier's away points, were scored on the powerplay.

I always respect what you post and agree with most of it, however, I find that your bias for Hischier is too strong when you comment on Patrick to the point its hard to read.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He reminds me of Scheifele tbh. Similar size and skating.

Yeah that's a decent comparable, somewhere in the Getzlaf-Scheiefel-Kopitar spectrum. Plays somewhat similar to Scheif and Getz but imo won't be as high a scorer but will have a two way game closer to Kopitar's level

JA

Its predictable really
There is nothing wrong with comparing statistics. I offered no commentary and merely compared the home and away splits, including powerplay splits. I left it to others to interpret the data.

Through 19 games, Patrick has not played as well this season as Hischier has. At home, his rate of production is not too dissimilar from Hischier's. On the road, however, he has been less effective than Hischier has been, with his production more heavily weighted on powerplay points, a lower rate of production, and a plus-minus rating that barely breaks even. Hischier has been better at creating offense in opposition arenas than Patrick has been; one can attribute this to his ability to make more happen on his own and to remain effective when the other team has home-ice advantage.

I have said all along that Patrick's production in previous seasons was augmented by the strength of the team that he played for. His production has not been greater than Hischier's this season, and the eye tests favor Hischier.

Patrick's road performances have been very average this season, and his performance on Tuesday evoked memories of the 2016 Memorial Cup. The difference on Tuesday is that he was not injured. He and the team simply didn't show up, according to David Anning; in Patrick's own words, the team wasn't prepared. The Warriors contained him.

"Bias" isn't what catapulted Hischier to the top of the rankings -- his ability as a player is responsible for that. Hischier was ranked 15th overall in the November consensus rankings. My observations merely align with an increasingly-common conclusion; such observations are a reason why he has risen in the standings. His play has made him a very strong candidate for the first-overall selection.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-draft-consensus-rankings/

Here is some data (information current as of February 18, 2017):
Some updated point total splits:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those wanting to compare this year's top tier to last year's, the consensus is that Nico Hischier and Nolan Patrick would have been drafted somewhere among Pierre-Luc Dubois and Matthew Tkachuk. I think they could easily be regarded as better prospects than Alex Nylander.

Both are centerman, and both have had better draft seasons than Dubois did last year. As such, they would have been in contention for fourth overall in 2016. Hischier is, in my opinion, the best offensive player in the draft class, with 64 primary points (manually counted due to incorrect QMJHL stats) out of the 76 points he has scored in 45 games played this season thus far, the highest points-per-game average in the entire QMJHL, and the highest points-per-game average of all first-year draft-eligible players.

To compare (raw home/away splits):
2017 NHL Draft Top Two:
Since we don't have enough of a sample size for Nolan Patrick's current season, we'll look at his 2015-16 home and away splits as well:
Nolan Patrick (2015-16):

Home: 21 goals, 50 points in 36 games (1.39 points per game)

Away: 20 goals, 52 points in 36 games (1.44 points per game)

2016-17 (Patrick):

Home: 11 goals, 22 points in 12 games (1.83 points per game)

Away: 3 goal, 11 points in 8 games (1.375 points per game)
Keep in mind the adjustment that Nico Hischier needed to make over the first month of the season, coming to North America from Switzerland. All other players he has been compared to here grew up playing hockey in North America and played at least one previous CHL season. Nico Hischier is a CHL rookie.

In the first 13 games of the season, he had 13 points.

In 6 away games, he had 6 points. In 7 home games, he had 7 points.
Nico Hischier (2016-17):

Home: 26 goals, 48 points in 25 games (1.92 points per game)

Away: 11 goals, 28 points in 20 games (1.40 points per game)

Home: 24 goals, 41 points in 18 games (2.28 points per game)

Away: 8 goals, 22 points in 14 games (1.57 points per game)
2015 NHL Draft:
Connor McDavid (2014-15):

Home: 28 goals, 70 points in 24 games (2.92 points per game)

Away: 16 goals, 50 points in 23 games (2.17 points per game)

2013-14 (McDavid):

Home: 16 goals, 62 points in 28 games (2.21 points per game)

Away: 12 goals, 37 points in 28 games (1.32 points per game)
Mitch Marner (2014-15):

Home: 22 goals, 71 points in 32 games (2.22 points per game)

Away: 17 goals, 45 points in 25 games (1.8 points per game)

2015-16 [Draft+1] (Marner):

Home: 25 goals, 64 points in 29 games (2.21 points per game)

Away: 14 goals, 52 points in 28 games (1.86 points per game)
2016 NHL Draft:
Pierre-Luc Dubois (2015-16):

Home: 26 goals, 63 points in 30 games (2.1 points per game)

Away: 16 goals, 36 points in 32 games (1.125 points per game)
Matthew Tkachuk (2015-16):

Home: 17 goals, 56 points in 28 games (2.0 points per game)

Away: 13 goals, 51 points in 29 games (1.76 points per game)
2017 NHL Draft:
Gabriel Vilardi (2016-17):

Home: 8 goals, 26 points in 22 games (1.18 points per game)

Away: 15 goals, 22 points in 15 games (1.47 points per game)
Owen Tippett (2016-17):

Home: 17 goals, 34 points in 26 games (1.31 points per game)

Away: 22 goals, 34 points in 26 games (1.31 points per game)
Kailer Yamamoto (2016-17):

Home: 17 goals, 36 points in 25 games (1.44 points per game)

Away: 16 goals, 38 points in 26 games (1.46 points per game)
Michael Rasmussen (2016-17):

Home: 19 goals, 35 points in 24 games (1.46 points per game)

Away: 13 goals, 20 points in 26 games (0.77 points per game)
Nick Suzuki (2016-17):

Home: 12 goals, 31 points in 26 games (1.19 points per game)

Away: 18 goals, 40 points in 26 games (1.54 points per game)
Nikita Popugaev (2016-17):

Home: 10 goals, 26 points in 33 games (0.79 points per game)

Away: 16 goals, 27 points in 26 games (1.04 points per game)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
There is nothing wrong with comparing statistics. I offered no commentary and merely compared the home and away splits, including powerplay splits. I left it to others to interpret the data.

Through 19 games, Patrick has not played as well this season as Hischier has. At home, his rate of production is not too dissimilar from Hischier's. On the road, however, he has been less effective than Hischier has been, with his production more heavily weighted on powerplay points, a lower rate of production, and a plus-minus rating that barely breaks even. Hischier has been better at creating offense in opposition arenas than Patrick has been; one can attribute this to his ability to make more happen on his own and to remain effective when the other team has home-ice advantage.

I have said all along that Patrick's production in previous seasons was augmented by the strength of the team that he played for. His production has not been greater than Hischier's this season, and the eye tests favor Hischier.

Patrick's road performances have been very average this season, and his performance on Tuesday evoked memories of the 2016 Memorial Cup. The difference on Tuesday is that he was not injured. He and the team simply didn't show up, according to David Anning; in Patrick's own words, the team wasn't prepared. The Warriors contained him.

"Bias" isn't what catapulted Hischier to the top of the rankings -- his ability as a player is responsible for that. Hischier was ranked 15th overall in the November consensus rankings. My observations merely align with an increasingly-common conclusion; such observations are a reason why he has risen in the standings. His play has made him a very strong candidate for the first-overall selection.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-draft-consensus-rankings/

I offered the splits for several first-year draft-eligible players as of two weeks ago. Here is that data:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=127545693&postcount=912

Please create a thread where you compare splits/stats/etc. of draft eligible players. Nobody wants the entire page to be filled with your extremely long and barely relevant posts on the thread that is specific to Nolan Patrick.

This is at least 3 posters who have said this and you continue to jam the thread up.

JA

Please create a thread where you compare splits/stats/etc. of draft eligible players. Nobody wants the entire page to be filled with your extremely long and barely relevant posts on the thread that is specific to Nolan Patrick.

This is at least 3 posters who have said this and you continue to jam the thread up.
The initial post that you were critical of deals specifically with Patrick's splits against his main competitor for the first overall draft position.

It was an extension of my review of Patrick's performance on Tuesday; his play against the Warriors was an example of the opposition containing him with the advantage of home ice. After the game, the Moose Jaw Times offered a look at the Warriors' game plan against the Wheat Kings. I also cited the words of both Nolan Patrick and David Anning with regards to that game.

This is all relevant information. I have only contributed four posts out of the 124 posts in this edition of the thread so far, so your accusation that the posts are "jamming the thread up" is unfounded. The posts deal specifically with the topic of Patrick's performance thus far in 2016-17; one other player's splits were included as a point of reference so that one would not analyze the statistics in isolation and without context. Based on your "Wheaties" avatar, it appears that this information may have upset you.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Getzlaf, Kopitar and Carter type of player would be a nice for a 1-2 punch in the avs after Mack's speedy first line, Patrick's line drains down the opponent with second. This is why I prefer Patrick over Hischier cause we have Mac. Eventhough in today's nhl speed is highly valuable

Landeskog - Patrick - Jost does look like it would become a sexy matchup/tough-minute top line that can really beat teams down for the MacKinnon - Rantanen line. Especially with Greer - Compher in the AHL, looking like the start of a terrific third line that can really make life hard on teams while chipping in; and Beaudin continuing to look like he can grow into the guy to play between those two.

Here's to hoping for some lottery luck and successful development in Colorado!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad