C Nolan Patrick (2017, 2nd, PHI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
I'm starting a gofundme for Nolan, so that he can have a successful career in real estate after he busts out of hockey due to the sports hernias in his brain that he's apparently prone to getting.

Never change, hf. Never change.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
By the way... Holy overreaction about Patrick. He is at the beginning of his hockey career: any judgement now is absolutely premature.

It's the way she goes here. Don't worry, it's a long season. Plenty of time for him to be the worst top-3 bust in the last 20 years and a calder candidate.

If he goes on a 5 game point streak and tears it up, I look forward to seeing him join Norris winner Shea "awful trade washed-up terrible contract best defensemen in the game, elite dominant norris favourite low end #1D awful trade" Weber in the year-end rewards. Until the year end rewards come and pass and neither win them.

Let's revisit this thread in 3 weeks. Nolan Patrick is going to undergo a genetic mutation, with his body and consciousness being replaces by a new human with the same name. Since he will be a totally new person, we can say how amazing or horrible that iteration of him is then. And remember, who he is now holds no bearing on the future. Or even right now in hindsight.

What people say in 2 months will also overlap the present now and what people say. Alright folks. Lets watch this superstar bust injury prone durable mutant win lose some hockey forever in a month! And rewrite history based on changing future in the process. Whoooo exciting.

Reactions: My3Sons

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
...because I guess you have a crystal ball and you saw Barzal becoming a hall of famer and those 3 Bruins prospects manning a McDonald's drive through.
I've never pretended to see the future, but at the time Barzal was the head and shoulders consensus pick and Boston skipped him for 3 players that didn't exactly look like they should have gone there- which is why BOSTON fans flipped the f*** out during the draft.

Since then, Barzal has continued to look extremely impressive and none of the Bruins picks (thus far) look to eclipse him.

So if you feel the need to go the hyperbole route and pretend I said the Boston picks were all busts, sure, go for it. I didn't though.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Luckily you aren't a GM for a franchise. I couldn't imagine thinking a kid has an "Injury" history when we are talking about a broken collar bone and a sports hernia. This isn't a kid who has had multiple concussions and is on the brink of having to stay in a dark room all day. He also doesn't have any knee or other joint issues. These aren't re-occurring problems so they aren't re-occurring issues.

Between the ages of 17 and 19, Nolan Patrick has had at least 4 surgeries.

That is absurd for a kid going 2nd overall.

He's not even that much better than Elias Pettersson, when he's healthy.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
It's the way she goes here. Don't worry, it's a long season. Plenty of time for him to be the worst top-3 bust in the last 20 years and a calder candidate.

If he goes on a 5 game point streak and tears it up, I look forward to seeing him join Norris winner Shea "awful trade washed-up terrible contract best defensemen in the game, elite dominant norris favourite low end #1D awful trade" Weber in the year-end rewards. Until the year end rewards come and pass and neither win them.

Let's revisit this thread in 3 weeks. Nolan Patrick is going to undergo a genetic mutation, with his body and consciousness being replaces by a new human with the same name. Since he will be a totally new person, we can say how amazing or horrible that iteration of him is then. And remember, who he is now holds no bearing on the future. Or even right now in hindsight.

What people say in 2 months will also overlap the present now and what people say. Alright folks. Lets watch this superstar bust injury prone durable mutant win lose some hockey forever in a month! And rewrite history based on changing future in the process. Whoooo exciting.
lol epic. I love you.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I've watched a few Flyers games.

He looks like he belongs. If they could put someone with a clue on his right side, he'd be in the top of rookie scoring.

Y'all need to crawl back to your own team's boards for a bit and complain about something that you've actually seen.

And since when is a broken collar bone 2 years ago and a sports hernia (that was also sort of messed up on by the medical team) make him 'injury prone'? Havlat was injury prone. Salo was injury prone.

2 major injuries is not injury prone.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I've watched a few Flyers games.

He looks like he belongs. If they could put someone with a clue on his right side, he'd be in the top of rookie scoring.

Yeh, that is the thing... he looks the part of an NHLer for sure.

But our middle six has been a bit of a mess... the 1st line is amazing (ridiculously so so far), but Giroux and Couturier together has had a trickle down affect down the line-up. It means that Patrick has been generally facing the 2nd toughest match-ups... and because Voracek is on 1st line too and they seem reluctant to break up the Leier-Laughton-Raffl line there are no possesion/defensively sound wingers for the middle six!

Simmonds, Konecny and Weal are all good wingers... and Filppula a solid center/wing... but none are plus defensively at 5v5 or great possesion players. Add in Patrick being a rookie and the middle six is just a weird mix of pretty decent players who do not gel that well.

The Weal-Filppula-Simmonds line has been 'ok' but Patrick has had Dale Weise on his wing most of season, and Weise has looked lost, Konecny very frustrated. Not a line you really want taking on 2nd best opposition lines!

Easiest 'fix' (without Giroux back to C, Filppula to wing) would probably be to put Raffl on his wing... as he is great defensively and a very good possesion player. But doubt it happens.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I've never pretended to see the future, but at the time Barzal was the head and shoulders consensus pick and Boston skipped him for 3 players that didn't exactly look like they should have gone there- which is why BOSTON fans flipped the **** out during the draft.

Since then, Barzal has continued to look extremely impressive and none of the Bruins picks (thus far) look to eclipse him.

So if you feel the need to go the hyperbole route and pretend I said the Boston picks were all busts, sure, go for it. I didn't though.

I will take the opinion of the professionals at an original 6 franchise that has never missed the playoffs more than two years in a row in the past 50 years, over your opinion. They seem to know a thing or two about having a successful franchise. That includes drafting players, of course.

And no, Bruins fans didn't flip a thing, nor then, nor now. Look in the Bruins section and see how often Barzal gets mentioned. He doesn't. Truly a non issue for us.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That's funny but given his history of injuries by now, I would never invest this much into the player.

You're selling Elias Pettersson, Cody Glass, Lias Andersson, Kailer Yamamoto and the rest of the forward class short, if you think an injury riddled Nolan Patrick is still better than they are. Philadelphia won a lottery spot in a crummy year. They were basically forced to draft whatever was left of Hischier/Patrick. They couldn't even go off the board and draft an equal talent like Pettersson, or the fan base would lose their minds.

Tough situation for the Philly organization. Unfortunate for the fan base.

The fantasy you have created in your head where winning the #2 pick in the draft lottery and getting Patrick instead of a player like Necas at #13 is bad for the Flyers and their fans is the most preposterous thing I've ever seen on these boards.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What's funny is how people are jumping at the chance to put Patrick down, when most Flyers fans know this is going to be a tough year for Patrick. Not being able to train all offseason matters. I know this. Most fans know this. Players certainly know this.

I said it before, him ending the year healthy and being able to train all offseason will be a huge benefit to him. Especially when we are seeing the difference in mobility from Giroux and Ghost this year compared to last year when they went thru similar surgeries.

People just need to relax.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
The fantasy you have created in your head where winning the #2 pick in the draft lottery and getting Patrick instead of a player like Necas at #13 is bad for the Flyers and their fans is the most preposterous thing I've ever seen on these boards.

I'm not quite sure where I mentioned Necas but I would take Elias Pettersson all day everyday over a worn down 19 year old Nolan Patrick.

Pettersson's talent level is higher/on-par with Patrick and he's healthy.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm not quite sure where I mentioned Necas but I would take Elias Pettersson all day everyday over a worn down 19 year old Nolan Patrick.

As a prior poster said you might want to revisit this idea in a year. I detest the Flyers but Patrick is a rookie with no AHL adjustment and coming off surgery and a summer of inactivity. He’s probably skating with some discomfort and lack of flexibility but he still looks like an NHL player. Judge him once he heals. Petterson looks like a great prospect but you are comparing apples to oranges right now.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I would have taken Cody Glass over both Patrick & pudding cups Pettersson.

It's way to early to make any of these assumptions.

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
No, it's not too early to have a opinion.

You are assuming I am changing my views.

I had Pettersson ahead of Patrick before the draft.

This statement in your earlier post implicates an assumption, not your opinion.

What are you meaning now?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Talent was never the issue for him, was absolutely worth the pick at #2 if he could stay healthy.

Unfortunately, his record of injuries is impossible to ignore.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Patrick out tonight with an "upper body injury". Piss poor management by doctors, coaches and GMs to let him practice the day after sustaining a possible concussion. Id be pissed if I was a Flyers fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad