C Nolan Patrick (2017, 2nd, PHI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Patrick has had zero issue with taking hits. He's been very strong along the wall. He got whiplashed here; it could happen to anyone.

As far as being injury prone, to my knowledge, he has never had a concussion on record. So it's irrelevant.

That's the thing about injury prone players... it isn't always the same thing... some people just have bad luck, or get injured easier... you look at Lupul, Colaiaccovo...players like that... different things all the time, but oft injured.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Please draw me a straight line between a sports hernia or shoulder/abdominal injuries and having your head slammed into the glass. Thanks.
Genetic composition has been an area of research and study in recent years when talking about people's susceptibility to brain injuries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...71ee10e9bc3_story.html?utm_term=.6803b91b12cb

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/385257/

While I'm not saying that there is a direct relationship between lower body/upper body injuries and head injuries, but genetic makeup can be a result of both of these things.

Last edited:

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
19 year old gets hit hard and is taken out for precautionary reasons and this place blows up. Also, to those who say he isn't ready, what are you basing this on? I have watched almost all their games this year and he has done nothing but surprise me with his poise and hockey IQ. On pace for 30-40 points playing on the 3rd line and is in the positive.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
19 year old gets hit hard and is taken out for precautionary reasons and this place blows up. Also, to those who say he isn't ready, what are you basing this on? I have watched almost all their games this year and he has done nothing but surprise me with his poise and hockey IQ. On pace for 30-40 points playing on the 3rd line and is in the positive.

I agree. I will say that his last two games have maybe been the worst of his season, same with Konecny. But still, he has overall been very solid.

And 30-40 points in a 3rd line role is good.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I agree. I will say that his last two games have maybe been the worst of his season, same with Konecny. But still, he has overall been very solid.

And 30-40 points in a 3rd line role is good.
The Flyers get 38% of shot attempts with him on the ice. He's getting slaughtered

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Brutal pick, I think the amount of injuries he has racked up will cut his career short.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Plenty of compounding factors. One metric is not enough.

38% of shot attempts while starting 50% of his starts in the ozone is pretty horrific.

His PDO of 105.4 also suggests that he's due for some regression. Philly goalies are stopping the puck almost 97% of the time he's on the ice.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Indeed. While the sample size is small and advanced stats aren't perfect, when you're by far the worst on your team in CF% and second worst in xGF%, something must be wrong. His injury history also suggests that he's not great at looking out for himself, which can signify a number of things(Poor awareness?).

I thought that Miro Heiskanen should have been picked over Patrick then and this stance has only become reinforced.

Reactions: Ippenator

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Brutal pick, I think the amount of injuries he has racked up will cut his career short.
Even if you think he's injury prone, how can you possibly call a consensus #1/2 talent in the draft a brutal pick? A brutal pick is Boston passing on Barzal 3 times, or Vancouver passing on Ehlers and Nylander.

Picking a guy slated to go at the top of the draft with the 2nd pick? ooook.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
First, he practiced today and is playing tomorrow for all the over-reactors in here.

Second, he is 19 years old and coming off an injury year. I seem to recall similar over-reactions for that off Giroux and Ghost (similar injury).

This whole injury history thing is just laughable. If he breaks a finger nail HF is on him like he is made out of gas station toilet paper.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
We will look back at the Patrick draft pick as the obvious pick at the time but the wrong pick.

There will be at least half a dozen other forwards in the first round that will be better than he is.

Injuries will likely be a major factor.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
We will look back at the Patrick draft pick as the obvious pick at the time but the wrong pick.

There will be at least half a dozen other forwards in the first round that will be better than he is.

Injuries will likely be a major factor.

Since you've apparently seen the future, can you give me the Powerball lottery numbers for this week?

Reactions: Curufinwe

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Since you've apparently seen the future, can you give me the Powerball lottery numbers for this week?

That's funny but given his history of injuries by now, I would never invest this much into the player.

You're selling Elias Pettersson, Cody Glass, Lias Andersson, Kailer Yamamoto and the rest of the forward class short, if you think an injury riddled Nolan Patrick is still better than they are. Philadelphia won a lottery spot in a crummy year. They were basically forced to draft whatever was left of Hischier/Patrick. They couldn't even go off the board and draft an equal talent like Pettersson, or the fan base would lose their minds.

Tough situation for the Philly organization. Unfortunate for the fan base.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
That's funny but given his history of injuries by now, I would never invest this much into the player.

You're selling Elias Pettersson, Cody Glass, Lias Andersson, Kailer Yamamoto and the rest of the forward class short, if you think an injury riddled Nolan Patrick is still better than they are. Philadelphia won a lottery spot in a crummy year. They were basically forced to draft whatever was left of Hischier/Patrick. They couldn't even go off the board and draft an equal talent like Pettersson, or the fan base would lose their minds.

Luckily you aren't a GM for a franchise. I couldn't imagine thinking a kid has an "Injury" history when we are talking about a broken collar bone and a sports hernia. This isn't a kid who has had multiple concussions and is on the brink of having to stay in a dark room all day. He also doesn't have any knee or other joint issues. These aren't re-occurring problems so they aren't re-occurring issues.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
First, he practiced today and is playing tomorrow for all the over-reactors in here.

Second, he is 19 years old and coming off an injury year. I seem to recall similar over-reactions for that off Giroux and Ghost (similar injury).

This whole injury history thing is just laughable. If he breaks a finger nail HF is on him like he is made out of gas station toilet paper.

He isn't coming off an injury "year" though... it's been the past six years....

lawrence

May 19, 2012

It was a calculated risk/reward. I believe most teams would have made the same pick they made with the 2nd pick. Sometimes you have to make those tough decisions as a GM. It's not easy, vs what your brass is telling you, from your scouts, to the assistant gm's. Kid is actually the complete package in terms of size, skill, add to that Grit toughness, willingness to fight.
Their job is to highlite the skills/ abilities he can bring to the ice, and it is probably discussed to death in their (Flyers) pre draft meetings. I'm sure they also weighed in his injury issues in the past, and of course we all know, the Flyers flew him in themselves before the draft to do some extra body examinations on him.

GM's are not looking to see what happened in 6 months, more like in 7 years from now, what can he bring to the organization. At that point, Nolan Patrick is probably a 6'4 215 instead of 6'3 200. The risk is he is injury prone. The reward is a huge centreman that can can do it all, if he stays healthy. They probably saw him as either a future number 1 or 2 centreman that has size, elite hands, vision, excellent play making skills, deadly wrist shot, tough as hell centreman, which NHL team doesn't want a guy like this like cmon. Most smart teams will use BPA, regardless of injury thats why Galchenyuk despite being injury prone still got drafted number 3.

In terms of that hit, it looked like a harmless hit, but have gotten Patrick at a weak angle, which forced him to collapse in pain like that. Hope he recovers quickly. Sad to see other fan bases wanting this pick to fail badly. That particular hit seems more of a freak accident.

Reactions: Brayden Fattison

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Even if you think he's injury prone, how can you possibly call a consensus #1/2 talent in the draft a brutal pick? A brutal pick is Boston passing on Barzal 3 times, or Vancouver passing on Ehlers and Nylander.

Picking a guy slated to go at the top of the draft with the 2nd pick? ooook.

...because I guess you have a crystal ball and you saw Barzal becoming a hall of famer and those 3 Bruins prospects manning a McDonald's drive through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad