C Nico Hischier - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2017, 1st, NJD) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
1+5 in the last 9 games? My gosh is this draft gonna suck. PPG is barely above 1.5 anymore..

Hischier held pointless again today in another Halifax loss. I believe he was pointless in his last game as well. It is becoming a recurring theme.

Between Patrick and Hischier, they seem like they are trying to play themselves out of the top two slots in the draft.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
i have to think that the ridiculous chl schedule , being double shifted gsme after game and the world juniors is burning him ....
way way too many games played in chl

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
He'll rebound. Seems to be a common theme nowadays where high prospects will slump a bit in the CHL (Dal Colle, Dubois, etc) but the talent is still there

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Good thing NHL scouts aren't just stat watchers

LOL, you believe that offensively oriented prospects are not judged by their statistical production?

Maybe you believe that Hischier's current ranking is based on his two way play and outstanding defensive acumen?

Thanks for lightening up my day, I needed that.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Hischier played great in Saint John last night. He may not have gotten a point, but he definitely showed a lot of talent, both offensively and defensively, and was probably one of the best players in the game, at least in my opinion.

Players can be snake bitten, or have droughts from time to time, it's really nothing to get hung up on.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
LOL, you believe that offensively oriented prospects are not judged by their statistical production?

Maybe you believe that Hischier's current ranking is based on his two way play and outstanding defensive acumen?

Thanks for lightening up my day, I needed that.

No problem :)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He'll rebound. Seems to be a common theme nowadays where high prospects will slump a bit in the CHL (Dal Colle, Dubois, etc) but the talent is still there
Thing is, Dal Colle hasn't really bounced back, and we have no idea what Dubois will become. But, I don't think Hischier has really slumped on the years. He's had the typical ups and downs that come with a long season. Dal Colle and Dubois had terrible stints only to rebound after being traded.

Also, elite prospects don't really have extended slumps in there draft or post-draft years, at least to the extent to the two examples you used.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Also, elite prospects don't really have extended slumps in there draft or post-draft years, at least to the extent to the two examples you used.

And I think we are all in agreement that there isn't an apparent elite prospect in this years draft

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And I think we are all in agreement that there isn't an apparent elite prospect in this years draft
Depends on how you define elite. Entering the year, I think most thought Patrick would be on the D. Strome/Marner/Puljujarvi tier which I would call elite. Now, if you want to make the definition of an elite prospect a bit more strict to only McDavid/ Eichel/ Matthews/ Stamkos/ Tavares/ Laine tier, then there isn't one of those. Probably not even a Hall or Seguin level guy. It would be interesting to hear how these guys (Patrick and Hischier) would slot into the last 2 drafts. I can't see Hischier and Patrick would of had an outside shot at 3 (but would be behind Puljujarvi on almost all lists like PLD was outside of Columbus's). I can't see Hischier going top 5 in 2015, there would of been an argument for Patrick over Strome though.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Three of the Mooseheads last six games have been against Saint John, who are the best team in the league.(They also play again on Saturday)

On their current 7 game losing streak, all of the losses have come against teams ranked no lower than 7th overall in the standings.

It shouldn't really be too surprising that everyone on the team, Hischier included, is struggling at the moment. They're a very young team in a rebuilding year, and they're losing steam near the end of the season. And it's not like Hischier is the next McDavid or anything. He's not immune to his teams struggles.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Depends on how you define elite. Entering the year, I think most thought Patrick would be on the D. Strome/Marner/Puljujarvi tier which I would call elite. Now, if you want to make the definition of an elite prospect a bit more strict to only McDavid/ Eichel/ Matthews/ Stamkos/ Tavares/ Laine tier, then there isn't one of those. Probably not even a Hall or Seguin level guy. It would be interesting to hear how these guys (Patrick and Hischier) would slot into the last 2 drafts. I can't see Hischier and Patrick would of had an outside shot at 3 (but would be behind Puljujarvi on almost all lists like PLD was outside of Coludmbus's). I can't see Hischier going top 5 in 2015, there would of been an argument for Patrick over Strome though.
Yup I was defining elite as mcdavid, Matthews, laine, stamkos, seguin

JA

Nico's agreement with the Halifax Mooseheads appears to allow him to return to the NLA next season as a member of SC Bern. This information is according to former SC Bern general manager and director of player development -- currently a senior advisor with the organization -- Sven Leuenberger.

SC Bern coach Kari Jalonen would be expected to give Nico lots of ice time. The club is the top-ranked team in the NLA this season with a record of 31 wins, 6 OT wins, 4 OT losses, 9 losses. Meanwhile, the NLA's leading scorer this season, Mark Arcobello, the 2016-17 NLA MVP and Best Forward award recipient, is contracted to play one more season with SC Bern next year. Fellow SC Bern player Martin Plüss was the 2014-15 NLA MVP.

Leuenberger states in the article below that Arcobello and Andrew Ebbett, currently the team's top centers, can move to the wing to accommodate Nico.

If Nico is not ready for the NHL, the NLA would be able to accept him. He could also return to the Halifax Mooseheads next season.

http://www.watson.ch/Sport/Eismeister%20Zaugg/295637904-Der-SC-Bern-rechnet-n%C3%A4chste-Saison-mit-Supertalent-Nico-Hischier
SC Bern will be next season with Supertalent Nico Hischier
One of the world's best young players next season at SC Bern? Sport-General Sven Leuenberger has included this possibility in his plans.
14.01.17, 16:10 15.01.17, 00:14
Klaus Zaugg

Nico Hischier has three options for the next season: the NHL, the Halifax Mooseheads at the juniors or the SC Bern. Because he is not yet 20 years old, he can not be sent to a farm team (AHL). This is generally known.

The return to the SCB has hitherto been mentioned as a nice theoretical possibility. However, it is clear that in Bern the possibility of a return from Nico Hischier is taken seriously. Sven Leuenberger is a sports strategist at SCB. While Alexis Chatelain is concerned about day-to-day business, Leuenberger is in charge of planning and planning the day ahead. He says: "From the beginning, we have written the contract with Nico Hischier in such a way that he can only play with us in the event of a return."

SCB at the NHL-Draft on site

If the "Wunderkind" is not yet available in the NHL next season, he will be in for the SC Bern. Another season with the juniors would not bring Hischier any further. After the guest performance of Auston Matthews at the ZSC Lions (he played the season before the draft in Zurich) the reputation of our NLA as a training league in North America has increased further.

How does Sven Leuenberger rate the chances of a return Hischiers? "A forecast is now impossible. Where he will be next season is the decision of his NHL club. "He says the SCB will be there at the Draft in Chicago in June to get the first talks with the NHL club, the rights to Nico Hischier .

The question is, of course, also: Would the SC Bern have room for Nico Hischier next season? The planning has to run in two ways: with and without the young midfielder. "That would not be a problem," says Sven Leuenberger. "Our foreign strikers (Andrew Ebbett and Mark Arcobello, the Reds) can easily play on the wing position." If Nico Hischier, one of the two foreign centers would simply turn to the wing and in the first or second storm the young Walliser Platz do.

One thing is clear: when Nico Hischier's NHL club decides for a "year of apprenticeship" in Berne, the "apprentice" is expected to have a central position in the team. Coach Kari Jalonen would have to take that into consideration. Sven Leuenberger: "Actually, it does not make sense to give a young player an important role that we know he can only stay for one season. But in that case, we would like to accept that, of course. "The SCB would then have the most spectacular center axis of the league. Because next season, with Biels Center Gaëtan Haas (24) comes the best of those young Swiss strikers who do without a North America adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Would this not mean that he's AHL eligible? If his NHL club doesn't want him in the big show they'd probably encourage AHL instead of Switzerland.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Would this not mean that he's AHL eligible? If his NHL club doesn't want him in the big show they'd probably encourage AHL instead of Switzerland.

I think he will be AHL eligible but that's a fairly debated topic among fans. I'd like if someone who really understands the rules, their intricacies and interpretations would chime in. I expect it won't matter regardless and he'll jump straight to the NHL. Not necessarily because it's best for him but the team picking 2OA usually needs the help and Hischier will be an upgrade.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Thanks for finally getting some clear information on this topic. My personal opinion would be to keep Nico on the smaller ice surface and learn the NA game further. Hope who ever drafts him thinks the same

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I think he will be AHL eligible but that's a fairly debated topic among fans. I'd like if someone who really understands the rules, their intricacies and interpretations would chime in. I expect it won't matter regardless and he'll jump straight to the NHL. Not necessarily because it's best for him but the team picking 2OA usually needs the help and Hischier will be an upgrade.

As I understand it, he has CHL rights and he currently is playing in the CHL. He will not be able to play in the AHL next season due to those two things. Tomas Tatar had CHL rights, but he never played in the CHL, therefore, he was allowed to play in the AHL as a 19 year old.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
If he has a contract in Europe when he is drafted, he counts as being drafted out of Europe and is eligible for the AHL. Alex Nylander is an example..played in the OHL but had a contract in Sweden, so played in the AHL this year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's an offensive talent. What I like about him is he comes out of a factory of highly touted players developed in Halifax. Ehlers, Meier, Drouin, Mackinnon. I think he compares favourably to them.

Mar 14, 2017
Crazy how some people think he will fail because he only scored 1 point in 15 games with Bern last season.. I hope they realize he wasn't getting big minutes and I'm pretty sure he was playing 4th line

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Crazy how some people think he will fail because he only scored 1 point in 15 games with Bern last season.. I hope they realize he wasn't getting big minutes and I'm pretty sure he was playing 4th line

Who is saying he is going to "fail"?

Mar 14, 2017
Who is saying he is going to "fail"?

Not so much fail, I guess that was the wrong word. I seen a quote on Page 1 of a user saying he doesn't get the hype around him because of his stats at Bern

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
player comps on this kid? in the couple vids i watched, i have to say, offensively he reminds me a lot of Joe Sakic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad