C Nico Hischier - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2017, 1st, NJD) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016
He wouldn't have been viewed as ahead of Puljujarvi, Puljujarvi has pretty ridiculous upside. It is also not factoring in post draft performance. He may have went third if in the draft because he is most likely a center, but the consensus would most likely be that Puljujarvi is the better prospect. The view on Patrick if he was in the last draft is that the highest he possibly would have gone is 3, but more likely goes in the 5-8 range. Considering most view Patrick as the better prospect, I don't know how you can say Hischier has higher upside than Puljujarvi.

easy. cant teach fundamentals and hes one of the most fundamenlty sound prospect ive seen in a while

JA

He wouldn't have been viewed as ahead of Puljujarvi, Puljujarvi has pretty ridiculous upside. It is also not factoring in post draft performance. He may have went third if in the draft because he is most likely a center, but the consensus would most likely be that Puljujarvi is the better prospect. The view on Patrick if he was in the last draft is that the highest he possibly would have gone is 3, but more likely goes in the 5-8 range. Considering most view Patrick as the better prospect, I don't know how you can say Hischier has higher upside than Puljujarvi.
Neither Hischier nor Patrick would have supplanted Puljujarvi as the consensus third-best prospect in the draft at the time. There was a clear Big Three last year with Puljujarvi trailing both Matthews and Laine by a slim margin.

Both would have competed for fourth overall alongside Pierre-Luc Dubois and Matthew Tkachuk, and it is accurate to say that they would have been in that tier as prospects. Depending on where Dubois would have been ranked among them, they would have been drafted either fourth, fifth, or sixth-overall in 2016.

Below are a few comments from December 2015, a month before Dubois became the consensus fourth-best choice in the 2016 NHL Draft. Both Dubois and Patrick finished the second half of last season very strongly.
I think Patrick has huge two-way upside. He reminds me of Getzlaf. He is having a slow November but so are the Wheat Kings in general. I'm not sure if he ever projects to be a high end scorer like PLD. I think he projects be a 60-80 point two-way Centerman in the NHL.
I think if he has the ability to come into a lineup and play that Toews, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Kopitar type two-way role.

I'll echo DekeLikeYouMeanIt and say that it's way closer than a straight numbers poll will tell you.

Patrick had a bit of a gap (although not to the extent that most people will suggest) heading into the season. That gap's all but closed now because Patrick has been just decent, while Dubois has consistently been outstanding. They're nearly the same age too.

Patrick probably has a slightly higher upside in terms of pure value, because he's a tad better in most skill categories; skating, passing and playmaking, and shooting. But Dubois has shown an uncanny ability to dictate play, to an extent not yet shown by Patrick.

It doesn't help that Patrick's Brandon Wheat Kings have been consistently inconsistent since a terrific start to the season. His numbers rightly should be better than what they are. But on a team as skilled as Brandon, he arguably deserves some blame for the lack of offense because he gets prime minutes as much as anyone and yet the team is underachieving relative to talent. Dubois on the other hand has been only on the up ever since January 2015.

Honestly, if Patrick were available this draft, I still might be inclined to put Dubois higher on my list. I think he's a tremendously smart player and will be a top 10 pick in June barring a disaster, and if he isn't then some team is going to be extremely lucky.

Patrick is very much a complete player at this moment in time though. I'm reminded of Sean Couturier in the way he's just "ready" to play minutes at the NHL level. Like Couturier he's also the frontrunner for 1st overall a year before his draft. We'll see whether he can continue that forward development a la Sam Reinhart or if he just kinda continues to be great like Sean.

I don't know if either are true 1st line players, but they'll be NHLers in some capacity, I guarantee it. A case of two players who just "get" it, at both ends of the ice.
If the draft board had gone as it did with the Columbus Blue Jackets selecting Dubois and the Oilers taking Puljujarvi, then Vancouver and Calgary would have very likely taken the other two centers and left Arizona to take Tkachuk.

Dubois, Patrick, and Hischier could have been selected in any order, but the Blue Jackets' justification for picking Dubois over Puljujarvi was his grit and North American power forward style of game -- Hischier is smaller overall, while Patrick doesn't play the hard-nosed, workhorse type of game that Columbus sought last June.

Last edited by a moderator:

JA

Both Hischier and Patrick have been fairly average over the past several games.

In their last nine games:

Hischier has 4 goals, 9 assists, 13 points and is a +6.

Patrick has 4 goals, 7 assists, 11 points and is a -5.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Neither Hischier nor Patrick would have supplanted Puljujarvi as the consensus third-best prospect in the draft at the time. There was a clear Big Three last year with Puljujarvi trailing both Matthews and Laine by a slim margin.

Both would have competed for fourth overall alongside Pierre-Luc Dubois and Matthew Tkachuk, and it is accurate to say that they would have been in that tier as prospects. Depending on where Dubois would have been ranked among them, they would have been drafted either fourth, fifth, or sixth-overall in 2016.

Below are a few comments from December 2015, a month before Dubois became the consensus fourth-best choice in the 2016 NHL Draft. Both Dubois and Patrick finished the second half of last season very strongly.

If the draft board had gone as it did with the Columbus Blue Jackets selecting Dubois and the Oilers taking Puljujarvi, then Vancouver and Calgary would have very likely taken the other two centers and left Arizona to take Tkachuk.

Dubois, Patrick, and Hischier could have been selected in any order, but the Blue Jackets' justification for picking Dubois over Puljujarvi was his grit and North American power forward style of game -- Hischier is smaller overall, while Patrick doesn't play the hard-nosed, workhorse type of game that Columbus sought last June.

easy. cant teach fundamentals and hes one of the most fundamenlty sound prospect ive seen in a while
This is hearsay that I can't source, but there were scouts who thought Patrick could go #3 (probably very similar to the amount of scouts who thought Dubois should go #3, and an actual team drafted him there). Most likely he would have been grouped Dubois, and Tkachuk on most lists. Now, the one thing you are forgetting about Columbus's justification for Dubois (or at least rumored), was the chance he was a center. Patrick while not as physical as Dubois, is absolutely a center long-term. Either way, I don't think the prevailing opinion would be that Patrick or Hischier would be ranked above Puljujarvi. Now, it's fair to think that Hischier would have been the 3rd best prospect in last years draft that is not an outlandish opinion, it is just that you are likely in the minority with that opinion.

As for the divide between Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi. That can be debated til the end of the time. There were basically 4 camps. One was that Matthews was by himself and that the 2 fins were grouped togeather, another was Matthews and Laine were equal but they preferred the upside of Laine with Puljujarvi just behind both, there was the opinion that Matthews and Laine were significantly above Puljujarvi and then there was the Blue Jackets opinion.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I still dont see him in the nhl next year. Size matters
He's listed at 6'.75 and weighing in at 176. He puts on 5 pounds he's fine size wise for the NHL. He may be held back and play another year in the Q (and if on loan possibly in the AHL as his contract situation is unclear), but I don't think size will be the major cause.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Finally the Avs might get a chance to draft a Mooseheads centre first overall

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
He's listed at 6'.75 and weighing in at 176. He puts on 5 pounds he's fine size wise for the NHL. He may be held back and play another year in the Q (and if on loan possibly in the AHL as his contract situation is unclear), but I don't think size will be the major cause.

6.75 ????:laugh::laugh:

JA

whether it's the right move or not, when is the last time a potential #1 pick didn't start in the NHL? He will definitely be in the league next season.
The last few players, for various reasons:

2006: Erik Johnson
1996: Chris Phillips
1995: Bryan Berard
1994: Ed Jovanovski
1991: Eric Lindros
1989: Mats Sundin
1988: Mike Modano

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The last few players, for various reasons:

1996: Chris Phillips
1995: Bryan Berard
1994: Ed Jovanovski
1991: Eric Lindros
1989: Mats Sundin
1988: Mike Modano
Forgot Erik Johnson who is the most recent one.

Prospect's of Hischier level have gone back in recent years, such as Drouin, Marner, Strome (twice), PLD, Reinhart, etc. Teams seem to be a bit cautious in recent years.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
He is having a scoring slump right now, can any Moosehead fans explain it? 0G 5A in his last 7 games...
Is it just scoring or is he struggling to keep up his play?

JA

He is having a scoring slump right now, can any Moosehead fans explain it? 0G 5A in his last 7 games...
Is it just scoring or is he struggling to keep up his play?
I haven't watched him recently, but he has averaged 3.6 shots on goal per game over those seven games; 17 of those 25 shots are listed as dangerous shots. He has been listed in the Three Stars of the Game twice in the past seven (second star once, third star once).

This season, he has averaged 4.1 shots per game over 50 games. His recent streak is below his average, and he has gone 0 for 17 on dangerous shots in the past seven games.

The most recent game, for example, where he had 2 dangerous shots and 4 total shots on goal, two of his shots were from between the hash marks in the low slot, while one was from the top of the right circle and the other was from the high slot. In another game where he had 4 dangerous shots, 4 total shots on goal, one was taken from five feet in front of the crease, and three were from the mid-slot. In another where he had 4 dangerous shots and 6 total shots on goal, two were from the mid-slot, one was from the right faceoff dot, one was from just below the top of the right circle, another was from the top of the left circle, and one was taken from the right point.

His level of play as of late doesn't seem quite as good as it has been in the past, but he has still been laying more high-percentage shots on net than his goal total indicates.

His season total is 133 dangerous shots and 205 total shots: 64.9% of his shots this season are listed as dangerous shots. 17 / 25 over the past seven games is actually 68%, so while the volume of shots is lower, his dangerous shots to total shots ratio has been slightly higher during his last stretch. He has averaged 2.66 dangerous shots per game this season; over the past seven games, he has averaged 2.43 dangerous shots per game, which is slightly down from his season average. Hot goaltenders have played their part in keeping his goal totals down recently, as while he isn't getting as many shots on net as usual, he has been shooting the puck quite a fair bit still.

The Mooseheads scored a total of 17 goals in those seven games; Hischier's five points account for 29.4% of the team's scoring in those games -- a little below his usual percentage, which is in the high-30s to low-40s.

One point to note is that he was out with a minor injury for the games on February 17 and February 18, 2017. The injury was never disclosed.

The Mooseheads Twitter account has documented a few of Hischier's chances:

[collapse=tweets]

Before entering this cold streak, Hischier was on an eight-game scoring streak with 9 goals, 9 assists.
[/collapse]

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
During this little stretch where he hasn't produced like he has usually, it seems like he hasn't been able to dictate the pace of play as well. It seems as though he might be a little more tired playing back-to-backs or games that are less spaced out than he was at the start of the year which makes sense for a kid who hasn't played this much hockey nor was this relied upon at this level. After this weekend they have 5 days off but there are a lot of important games down the stretch. Hopefully Tourigny recognizes all of this and if there is a chance (in-game) to keep him on the bench then do it.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Said I wouldn't be back but this is what I've noticed at the last few home games. He's been getting hit hard a couple of times a game. Sometimes they are a little cheap questionably late or from digging at the goalies pads. He wasn't getting this kind of attention before the World juniors. After the first hard hit I seen him take you could tell it flustered him a little. Looked like it hurt. Put him off his game a little but still always dangerous looking like he wants the other team to pay for hitting him. Durandeau has been removed from the line and replaced by Moynihan for more protection for Nico and Fortier. Problem is he doesn't click on that line and slows the pace. They have been playing better opponents but are still getting a ton of scoring chances. Just not capitalizing. The goalies that they are facing have played fantastic every game. They have split the power play. Nico playing the point on the first unit with Chainey. Fortier on the second with MacIssac. Both power plays work well but again a lot of credit has to go the opposing goalies. They have good control and many chances. To me Nico still looks strong. His game hasn't changed but you can tell he's getting frustrated with the lack of production as well as the contact. If he's dinged up you can't tell. I know he's missed a couple games so that could be something I guess. As a fan I'm not worried. The pucks are gonna go in again hopefully soon.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Said I wouldn't be back but this is what I've noticed at the last few home games. He's been getting hit hard a couple of times a game. Sometimes they are a little cheap questionably late or from digging at the goalies pads. He wasn't getting this kind of attention before the World juniors. After the first hard hit I seen him take you could tell it flustered him a little. Looked like it hurt. Put him off his game a little but still always dangerous looking like he wants the other team to pay for hitting him. Durandeau has been removed from the line and replaced by Moynihan for more protection for Nico and Fortier. Problem is he doesn't click on that line and slows the pace. They have been playing better opponents but are still getting a ton of scoring chances. Just not capitalizing. The goalies that they are facing have played fantastic every game. They have split the power play. Nico playing the point on the first unit with Chainey. Fortier on the second with MacIssac. Both power plays work well but again a lot of credit has to go the opposing goalies. They have good control and many chances. To me Nico still looks strong. His game hasn't changed but you can tell he's getting frustrated with the lack of production as well as the contact. If he's dinged up you can't tell. I know he's missed a couple games so that could be something I guess. As a fan I'm not worried. The pucks are gonna go in again hopefully soon.

Thank you for the insight!

I hope he can handle this sort of treatment, cause it'll be like that for the rest of his career. They aren't too shy in the big league as well...

I'm not too worried after all. If 5 in 7 is your biggest slump of the season, you're diong fine ;)

Last edited:

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
1+5 in the last 9 games? My gosh is this draft gonna suck. PPG is barely above 1.5 anymore..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad