C Nico Hischier - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2017, 1st, NJD) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
It's early, I know... but maybe he just isn't ready yet? It could be good for him to go back to QMJHL for a while. He is clearly unable to play with his strengths in NHL. Another season of QMJHL would probably be very beneficial for him.

I think that it could be a good move to send him down after he plays his 7th game, assuming he still struggles at that point.

Oh it's early alright...

With the way he's been playing, the points will come very soon. Thinking he finishes with around 55 this year.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Oh it's early alright...

With the way he's been playing, the points will come very soon. Thinking he finishes with around 55 this year.

That's probably a tad optimistic. I feel 35-45 points is more realistic.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
He is so slick. Devils fans should definitely be excited about him. Hischier and Patrick will prove plenty of people wrong.

I will say though, it wouldn't hurt him to dominate the Q for another season. Either way, the Devils future is looking brighter than it has in a long time.

If NJ sends him down, the Q might not "hurt him" but not sure it will do anything to "help him" learn how to produce at the pro level. Chytil was sent to the AHL which seems more conducive to prepare him for future NHL duty and he is off to a good start there. I know this is not an option for Hischier but with 50% of NHLers coming from NCAA/Europe pro route (specifically not drafted out of the CHL and bound to the U20 rule), this means half of future NHLers can play AHL (or Europe) as pros during U19 and U20 seasons thereby adapting more naturally to the man's game in the NHL. The other half - CHL guys - who are not quite ready can have careers stalled if being forced to stay to depth NHL roles and or return to the CHL and not learn the pro game. I wonder with the continued globalization of hockey and more viable development alternatives if the CHL will adjust things as it seems the rules now favor the owners' pockets more than player development. By and large, NHL GMs opt to have players AHL as soon as they can if not contained by the CHL u20 rule.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Best game in the NHL for Nico tonight. 2 assists, could have had more. Got absolutely robbed of his first goal on multiple occasions.

He needs to get stronger so he can control forwards better down low in the D zone, but he absolutely looked like a top line center tonight.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
4 points in 6 games now for Nico, pretty good. Could have had a few other points tonight for sure, once he gets his first goal I think he'll get going even more.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I don’t get the hate on this kid. He’s incredible and looks very sharp, if I were the Devils I would be very pleased by the selection. He’s an NHL player and deserves it.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Great game by him, glad I stayed up till 4.30am to watch it all.

One thing though: I know that he is proud to have that 200 ft game (and I love that), but I wish that the coaching staff would point him towards using a bit more of his energy in the offensive aspect of the game. Last night I saw him many times all the way behind his own net battling a TB forward, essentially playing D. I mean, it's great, but he could be so much more an offensive dynamo if he would be a TAD more pointed towards the other net. He can win Selkes when he will have another 20/30 lbs of muscles on his frame...

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don’t get the hate on this kid. He’s incredible and looks very sharp, if I were the Devils I would be very pleased by the selection. He’s an NHL player and deserves it.

I havent seen anyone hating on him... Infact i think hes been the least talked about/non trash talked about real high pick in recent memory. Even rival team fans on their GDTs have complimented how good he has looked

Most games he has been awesome.. Parts of some games he has looked young and not as strong but majority of his NHL time he has exceeded my expectations big time. Great young player

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Unless I missed it I'm not really seeing anyone hating on this kid.
Maybe he's still just speaking to the draft hate both Nico and Nolan were getting?

Not only from boards like this, but even look at post draft lotto you have Top 3 GM of All Time aka the Prodigy John Chayka saying "Yeah...well...it's no big deal. If you had to plummet in the lotto this was the year to do it." The Wunderkind then goes onto trade his draft pick in a "hey! let's win-now!" move, and his team has really set the world on fire and has not looked back since. Lord knows if he had won one of those top picks, he would've been singing a different tune.

I hate the Devils, but I'm rooting for both players to show those who discounted them beacuse
"yeah well... they're not McDavid or even Matthews...so who cares?" to shove it. Spent 2-months thinking Nico was gonna be a Flyer, and I know there were a lot of Devil fans spending those same 2-months thinking Nolan was gonna be a Devil... but I just can't be like "well, we got the other guy..so f*** Nico hope he busts."

I know the season is only 2-weeks old, but from what I've seen both players do not at all look their age and they def look like they belong.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He easily could have had 2 goals last night. Impressive.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
He legitimately has chemistry with Hall, but even more with Stafford. Seems to be the right type of player to compliment Nico nicely. As mentioned, he had 3 legitimate opportunities to score last night, one being one of the greatest saves I've ever seen in my life.

Reactions: BruinLVGA and ECBBW

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
He’s a stud. I also disagree completely with the above poster about him focusing more on the offensive zone. His backchecking and positioning has become such an asset for this team. I’m so impressed with his positioning and intelligence. He looks like a Selke candidate already. He is going to dominate when he adds muscle.

Reactions: ECBBW

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
Nico is the kind of player you build around. It's telling that his "off" game was a game the whole team sucked in. Honestly, I just love this kid's game. He and the excellent Nolan Patrick are going to make the "bad draft" folks eat their words.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nico is the kind of player you build around. It's telling that his "off" game was a game the whole team sucked in. Honestly, I just love this kid's game. He and the excellent Nolan Patrick are going to make the "bad draft" folks eat their words.

I don't think thats very likely, and it has little to do with them. If you are expecting them to be McDavid and Eichel or Matthews and Laine, I just don't think its realistic. Its not their fault most of the kids born in the same age range as them suck. They shouldn't have to carry the mantle for their draft, most drafts they wouldn't have to. We wouldn't expect Marner, Provorov, Werenski to have to carry 2015 or Keller and McAvoy to carry 2016.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't think thats very likely, and it has little to do with them. If you are expecting them to be McDavid and Eichel or Matthews and Laine, I just don't think its realistic. Its not their fault most of the kids born in the same age range as them suck. They shouldn't have to carry the mantle for their draft, most drafts they wouldn't have to. We wouldn't expect Marner, Provorov, Werenski to have to carry 2015 or Keller and McAvoy to carry 2016.
Who has said a damn thing about them being McDavid or Matthews? Those are exceptions that come along very rarely and not the standard for a good draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad