C Nico Hischier - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2017, 1st, NJD) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How about when he went to confront Johnson after he had taken out Palmieri? Nico has great talent, maturity, hockey IQ and seemingly guts too.
I was impressed with how he played in his debut. Totally deserved to be on the score sheet but didn't have much luck.

He really deserved to get on the score sheet. Loved seeing him stick up for his teammates

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Big time. Also if my memory serves me well, he even laid a good hit on Zadorov in the 2nd period? Or did I dream that? Ahahah

Was more Zadorov tripped over him lol, but it did happen.

Two other rookies got on the score sheet, but that shouldn't overshadow his debut. Nico looks really good. He looked dangerous on the PK with Hall just before the final goal was scored.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Unfortunately didn't get on the board at all, but he had a very good game.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There was certainly a buzz in the arena every time Nico had the puck on his stick. Very noticeable. I feel like he might have got a goal, or at least an assist, had the lines not got so jacked up after Palmieri and Stafford went down with injuries. After that point, you could tell the lines really lacked chemistry which is to be expected in that situation.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I can't believe, I, and other Devils fans wanted Patrick over him at any point in time. Obviously we don't know who will end up better but Hischier has that "it" factor that special players have that I don't think Patrick possesses. Dude led the Devils in Corsi last night and had 6 friggin shots. His stickhandling in that video is already top end in the entire league.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I can't believe, I, and other Devils fans wanted Patrick over him at any point in time. Obviously we don't know who will end up better but Hischier has that "it" factor that special players have that I don't think Patrick possesses. Dude led the Devils in Corsi last night and had 6 friggin shots. His stickhandling in that video is already top end in the entire league.

A lot of it from my end had to do with not knowing much of anything about Nico and it was said to be the "Nolan Patrick draft" however when I and I know others took time to actually watch highlights of Nico playing in juniors and team Swiss in the WJC and other games and seeing coaches raving about how incredible the kid was at such a young age and plays a 2 way game and how he almost single handedly beat the top teams in the tournament, I began to switch. You also kept hearing from scouts, the TSN guys etc that Nico was and will be more dynamic and from what I've seen in preseason and so far the beginning of the regular season, they were right and Nico is exactly what the Devils needed. The stick handling display, hockey sense and IQ, speed, defense, were all on display yesterday. Couldn't be happier and can't wait for more.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
When he went after EJ after the knee on Palms, I think the few doubters that were left fully jumped on the Nico train. He has a great attitude, incredible work ethic, and an exceptionally team oriented demeanor to go along with the skill. Even if he never becomes a big time scorer, he is the kind of guy you want on the team. Out there being an example for the rest of the team at 18 years old.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I don’t really follow juniors so I didn’t know much about either Hischier or Patrick other than what the experts were saying. I’ve been a Devils fans since the late 80’s and Patrick just seemed like the kind of guy we would normally draft so I predicted him. So happy Castron and Shero went with Hischier. Not because of anything about Patrick but because Hischier is just a great player.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

I'm not sure what I was thinking preferring Patrick. It was a light preference, and I did go back and forth a bit, but still. Hischier's been unbelievable.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I can't believe, I, and other Devils fans wanted Patrick over him at any point in time. Obviously we don't know who will end up better but Hischier has that "it" factor that special players have that I don't think Patrick possesses.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "it."

I really like Hischier, great quickness and not afraid to play a 200 foot game.

I got to see Patrick in person last night and he definitely had his own brand of "it" going on. A kid with excellent size and puck skills who also plays a 200 foot game. Here he is getting his first NHL point on a slick saucer pass to Ivan Provorov.

giphy.gif

Both kids have the potential to be excellent NHL players, in their own way.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Did you enjoy Nico's performance? I surely did. I am happy I chose this over watching the Nati trouncing Hungary 5-2...
Oh yes me too, I think he looked fantastic! Very involved and stealing pucks all night long. Had some very solid deking/stickhandling scenes.
Looking forward to watch the Devils again tonight!
Hope they can get another win to keep the confidemce up, there is kind of a vibe around this team now!

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I think it will take a year or two for everything to really come together but when it does, he's going to be excellent.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Oh yes me too, I think he looked fantastic! Very involved and stealing pucks all night long. Had some very solid deking/stickhandling scenes.
Looking forward to watch the Devils again tonight!
Hope they can get another win to keep the confidemce up, there is kind of a vibe around this team now!
Big time. He truly does ooze talent. I think he might indeed become the next Datsyuk. I just hope that the Devils take their time with him.

I have the second Bruins game of the season tonight, but after that I will catch some of the Devils game. I hope Nico gets his first NHL point tonight! Touch wood.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think his positive outlook and engaging personality give him the potential to be more than just the face of the NJ franchise. Think he can potentially be a media darling and league wide star. Like all young players he will have some ups and downs but the game does not seem too fast or physical for him so the rest of it should eventually fall into place.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think it will take a year or two for everything to really come together but when it does, he's going to be excellent.

As a Devils fan, I'm just pumped to witness a Datsyuk/Elias-like player again. He gives you a reason to watch night in and night out -- Devils haven't had that in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad