C Nico Hischier - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2017, 1st, NJD) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
The media hype about him back here in Switzerland is pretty insane right now. Every newspaper, online outlet, radio station etc. is doing a piece on Nico. A lot of swiss people will be watching him tomorrow. I hope he will have a good game. Might be do a lot for the popularity of the NHL in Switzerland...
Well, if anything helps, it will be a Swiss 1st overall draft pick.

The biggest problem has always been the fact that NHL games start at 1am-4:30am. Nico will only change that for a few games.
I mean, even tomorrow, as nice as the gesture for the Swiss fans is, I don't expect too many Swiss people to watch the NJ game, considering that our soccer team also has a fairly critical game at the same time.

For all the other games, it's just hard to follow the league.
I am privileged, as a fan of a west coast team, because I can sometimes watch the last 2 periods on my way to work. But for fans of teams in the Eastern Conference, and with that for new fans of the Devils, it's just hard to watch games live and even harder to not get spoiled during the day so they can watch a recording the evening after.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I agree about the time zone difference. I tried to watch 2-3 NHL games a week a couple of seasons ago and it almost killed me at work/school...

And I know just one game will have little impact on how the NHL is percieved in Switzerland. Nico would have to become a star in the league for years and other players would have to take up bigger roles as well. I still think there is a good chance the NHL will become more popular here soon. We have a lot of casual and hardcore hockey fans in Switzerland, but only a small percentage cares about the NHL. So there is at least quite a bit of untapped potential.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He looks absolutely amazing 1 period in. Ridiculous hands. I’m starting to think he’s been underhyped.
Yeah I feel like a big part of it is just how good the previous 2 1OA players were. Almost like there was a fatigue that set in and he just kind of flew under the radar. Which honestly is probably a great thing for him.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
It's nice to see the hockey world expanding. Switzerland has produced a few fine players, but if Hischier becomes an offensive superstar that could be huge. Same with Draisatl in Germany. Makes you root a little bit for these players.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hischier has a real next generation feel to his game. Kind of what you want to see the NHL trend towards. Ultra lite, very skilled, composed, so impressive.

Kind of funny how his NHL debut is against the team that got bumped out of the first overall.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
That will come more as he gets older and puts on more muscle. He's really skinny right now and tends to get shoved over. Probably the biggest weakness in his game.
Yet despite this, he's still strong on the puck and has immense puck control. He's been really good so far. Will be really exciting to see what he can do when he gets stronger!

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
No points in his first game but he looked very very good. Could of had a couple points but it just didn't work out that way. He's so extremely smart/skilled, has an elite hockey brain, and has such a good head on his shoulders as he is mature way beyond his years. He is so tenacious on the puck and had at least 3 or 4 takeaways in the game. He's so shifty along the boards in the offensive zone. He really is a treat to watch. I don't want to get ahead of myself but it looks like he'll be one of the elite players in the league in the not so distant future.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
How about when he went to confront Johnson after he had taken out Palmieri? Nico has great talent, maturity, hockey IQ and seemingly guts too.
I was impressed with how he played in his debut. Totally deserved to be on the score sheet but didn't have much luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad