C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Just need Carolina/Toronto to win/lose some combination of 3 games to lock up the leafs having a top 4 pick before the lottery. Guaranteeing at least 1 of Marner/Strome/Hanifin.

Honestly at this point the 3-5 pick are hard to really order.

Hanifin -> Suter or Keith (somehwere inbetween them)
Strome -> Thornton
Marner -> P. Kane

Either way you're getting a stud piece to build your team around.

How is a shoot first centreman comparable to one of the best playmaking centres?

Oh, is it because they are both tall?

Mar 12, 2009
I haven't seen one poster suggest that Marner could go ahead of McDavid. But many have stated that they think Marner could or should supersede Eichel at 2. Its a bit of a double standard.

We must have different definitions of the word "many". I don't see but a small handful of posters at best suggesting he should go ahead of Eichel.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
How is a shoot first centreman comparable to one of the best playmaking centres?

I have only watched Strome a few times but from what I saw he is much more of a pass first kind of player. I am pretty sure that's what scouts are saying as well.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I have only watched Strome a few times but from what I saw he is much more of a pass first kind of player. I am pretty sure that's what scouts are saying as well.

Shoot first was the wrong terminology.

But comparing to one of the best playmaking centres doesn't make any sense.

And 95, your posts :shakehead

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Very disappointed with Marner. Only one goal tonight and a post early in the third. This will hurt his draft stock greatly.

sarcasm

Mar 12, 2009
I went to the game tonight, had seen him several times on cable tv but not live. Wasn't his best game, but the skill was very evident. Has a ton of poise and control when he has the puck. Great vision, hands and playmaking ability. He goes to the rough areas and can take a hit, stay on his feet and hold onto the puck. Solid 2-way game and wasn't afraid to throw the body. The one thing I wasn't impressed with was in the first half of the game he was falling down pretty easily, looked like he dove a couple times and was looking back at the refs and complaining fairly often. It wasn't just him though and he stopped doing it after the first half of the game it seems, when Domi took an unsportsmanlike penalty. That's a bit of a nit pick though, that's something a lot of guys seem to shake off with maturity.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Leafs are getting Hanifin or Marner. I am extremely excited about this.

I'm just worried they pick Strome before Hanifin/Marner. I like Dylan but Marner/Hanifin have elite potential. Franchise type elite.

Don't be worried, Mark Hunter will get the last say and it doesn't matter if the leafs pick 3/4/5 its MARNER in a heart beat.........

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
That's a fair statement. Aside from size and strength, I'd say Marner is just as good if not better than Eichel. I'm extremely impressed by Marner's skillset, and can see him being a superstar in the NHL.

Marner turns 18 on May 5th, he may even grow some more..... 3 years from now he may in fact be better than Eichel....... just wish Eichel played in the onl this year to get a better comparison between himself and Mcdavid/Marner/Stome.......

JMcLeaf

Mark Hunter.

Z0OufMj.gif

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I just don't picture Marner playing centre in the NHL. Strome however, will definitely be a centre...his skating is questionable though.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I see Mitch Marner as a higher end version of Jeff Skinner at the next level. Pretty darn good considering Skinner would have been an upper echelon player had it not been for concussions.

I like him for the Leafs, but only after Strome who is a legit C and we need that.

Another guy I'm very intrigued with is Zacha.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Weak first few strides, huge frame but passive, using size to protect the puck and power around D rather than hitting, strongest asset is vision and hockey IQ. Also Strome isn't a shoot-first C, he's a better goalscorer than Thornton but playmaking is his strongest facet.

A lot of parallels can be made.Oh, and Strome compares himself to Thornton as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad