C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I am not a homer. I gaurantee I have seen many players in this draft class more than almost anyone and also throughout all there years of development. Saw White and Bracco since they were 8. Hanifan since he was 9... I have only seen Eichel this year and probably dozen times. I have seen McDavid more than anyone here other than his parents probably. Here is my take.

I agree that the lock of 1 2 and 3 is people just drinking the same water. If you take out Marners slow start to the season and including the playoffs so far he has posted 133 points in 56 games. McDavid has 126 in 51. You could not ask for a closer comparable as they play in the same league, same division and even same conference. Some things Marner has done that even McDavid has not this year. 5 hat tricks to 1. Four 6 point games for Marner to 1 for McDavid. Erie is a stronger team and has scored more goals. Marner is involved in a larger % of Londons goals than McD is in Erie. Mcdavid has the benefit of an extra year in the league and also Eichel too. Now I am not saying that Marner is McDavid but quite frankly people suggesting the gap between any of the top 5 prospects is huge is either brain washed or just really does not watch enough or does not know the stats. The problem is everyone can't get there head around the fact that the 2 chosen ones by the media and scouting services have had the gap closed by several other very good prospects. Just IMHO.

Right..:laugh:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Firstly, this is just based off the assumption that Hanifin/Strome go in some order 3/4 overall and Marner is there at #5 where Carolina picks, if they stay there.

Some people on the Canes board seem to shy away from Marner as an option solely because of his size and they feel that there is major risk in taking a player that is "small" but still tears up junior. See:

I've seen a decent amount of Marner, and personally he strikes me as a player that isn't actually a big risk at all because of how smart he is. I don't know if people just see the electric skill he has, and just write him off as a "boom or bust" type of guy, but I assume that has to be the reasoning. I definitely think the whole size thing is overblown. Of course he needs to put on a bit of weight, but it's not like he's 5'8". Carolina has the Staals, Lindholm, Rask and others that have decent size and can play with an edge at times. I just cannot fathom passing on Marner for someone like Crouse or Rantanen, which has been suggested in our draft thread.

Again, I just don't think there's much risk in selecting Marner, he's versatile and he still obviously has huge upside. Am I off base here?

I included our draft thread below for those to see what I mean. (Pages 11-14)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1820119&page=11

I understand completely.

To me Nylander isn't big, and a future C depth of Marner, Nylander and Kadri makes us smurf like up the middle.

At least you have the Staal's, We only have the 4th line Gauthier and maybe Holland.

If he's the only there, where we pick, I'll take him.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I understand completely.

To me Nylander isn't big, and a future C depth of Marner, Nylander and Kadri makes us smurf like up the middle.

At least you have the Staal's, We only have the 4th line Gauthier and maybe Holland.

If he's the only there, where we pick, I'll take him.

We're going to be tanking for at least 2 more years if not more. Plenty of time to pick up a big center.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
There's every chance that Marner will go on to be the NHL superstar that quietly went about his business beneath the shadow of the McEichel hype machine. But there's still no chance that he goes in the top two in the draft.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
There's every chance that Marner will go on to be the NHL superstar that quietly went about his business beneath the shadow of the McEichel hype machine. But there's still no chance that he goes in the top two in the draft.

Shades of Duchene in the Tavares/Hedman draft

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Total Marner-fest going on right now in this thread.

I love the guy, but some of the things on here are just ridiculous...:laugh:

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Total Marner-fest going on right now in this thread.

I love the guy, but some of the things on here are just ridiculous...:laugh:

Really why? Again statistically he could not do much more to prove a point that he should be in the discussion. Even in the London forum where veteran posters have compared him with some of the best players to come through London. People said he was only effective because of Domi. Yet statistically he has put up far better numbers when seperated from Domi. Secondly because he was a winger. Well now hes putting up better numbers at centre than at wing. As I said people in general who do not watch these prospects make sweeping generalizations or listen to the crap the media spew. They have drank so much of the water themselves that they can't come to terms that things have and are still changing. I guarantee there will be some surprises at this draft just like there always are.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Really why? Again statistically he could not do much more to prove a point that he should be in the discussion. Even in the London forum where veteran posters have compared him with some of the best players to come through London. People said he was only effective because of Domi. Yet statistically he has put up far better numbers when seperated from Domi. Secondly because he was a winger. Well now hes putting up better numbers at centre than at wing. As I said people in general who do not watch these prospects make sweeping generalizations or listen to the crap the media spew. They have drank so much of the water themselves that they can't come to terms that things have and are still changing. I guarantee there will be some surprises at this draft just like there always are.

Marner is a tremendous talent, top 3 in my ranking. He would probably challenge for 1st overall in 2010 - 2012, and 2014. But all you have to do is watch Eichel or McDavid to see the difference. Marner could become a Kane/Gaudreau/Giroux hybrid, perennial all star forward. McDavid and Eichel could be on the Crosby/Malkin level.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
For people who watch a lot of ohl hockey - Does London give their top players more ice time than anyone else? Do they play a more offensive style/allow top forwards to cheat for offence? It seems like there are so many Knight's players put up big numbers over the years I wonder if there is some factor inflating them a bit. Or are they just that good at drafting/developing offensive talent?

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Marner is a tremendous talent, top 3 in my ranking. He would probably challenge for 1st overall in 2010 - 2012, and 2014. But all you have to do is watch Eichel or McDavid to see the difference. Marner could become a Kane/Gaudreau/Giroux hybrid, perennial all star forward. McDavid and Eichel could be on the Crosby/Malkin level.

I appreciate your comments on Marner. But as I stated I have watched more of Mcdavid and longer than anyone on these boards. I did not say he was still not #1. I just disagree with most people on the gap. I believe not just Marner but Strome Hanifan... are closer than people think. As far as Eichel he reminds me of how crazy people went over Sean Day. Another big powerful skater who people drooled over coming into the OHL draft. I remember HF boards going crazy best skater since Orr and Coffey.... JE and SD actual are similar skaters and skill set while I will say JE has a much better hockey mind. I will say Marner is currently at JE level but will never overtake this runaway train the media has created for McEichel. But we will revisit this discussion in 3 to 4 years when physically the two will be on par for being close to fully developed.

Cheers

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
For people who watch a lot of ohl hockey - Does London give their top players more ice time than anyone else? Do they play a more offensive style/allow top forwards to cheat for offence? It seems like there are so many Knight's players put up big numbers over the years I wonder if there is some factor inflating them a bit. Or are they just that good at drafting/developing offensive talent?

Yes top players play a lot but no more than other top players on teams. Actually London has not had anyone win the scoring title since Kane. Also no one had broken the 100 point mark in the past several years until this year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Any chance he sticks in the NHL next year if picked by Toronto or Carolina?

From this Leaf fan's perspective, if we drafted him, I would like to get him back to London for another year playing centre for the full year, and get him the WJC experience too.

It would be the same with Dylan Strome, only i'd want him to be "the man" on the team, rather then being behind Connor McDavid, and again, WJC experience.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Marner > Giroux, if it weren't for mceichle we would be talking about Marner in the same light as Kane etc. what a talent. Hope the oilers take him.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Any chance he sticks in the NHL next year if picked by Toronto or Carolina?

If Toronto drafts him he would likely go back to London because Mark Hunter is still the one who pulls the strings in London. Toronto would have full control over him while he physically develops some more. I would be happy if he went to Toronto even though I am in no way a Leafs fan. He's just so fun to watch and if he went to Arizona I wouldn't be able to watch him play as much as I would like.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Just need Carolina/Toronto to win/lose some combination of 3 games to lock up the leafs having a top 4 pick before the lottery. Guaranteeing at least 1 of Marner/Strome/Hanifin.

Honestly at this point the 3-5 pick are hard to really order.

Hanifin -> Suter or Keith (somehwere inbetween them)
Strome -> Thornton
Marner -> P. Kane

Either way you're getting a stud piece to build your team around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad