C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Geez size of an ant? Barzal and I are the same height and weight. Even in NHL terms that's not that small.

Relax, I was just fooling around.

175 is very small in NHL terms though. I played at that weight in college (and, no we're not talking Division I, club hockey) and I was definitely smaller than most of the other players (and also a lot less skilled!).

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
Relax, I was just fooling around.

175 is very small in NHL terms though. I played at that weight in college (and, no we're not talking Division I, club hockey) and I was definitely smaller than most of the other players (and also a lot less skilled!).

Ehh not to worried about his weight at the moment. Strome was basically the same size at that age. Now he's listed at 199. If Barzal is the workout warrior people say he is I'm confident he will be around 195 in the next few years.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Barzal was silky smooth tonight. The kid has great hands, his acceleration and skating is NHL ready, and his vision is really good. He is very agile and full of confidence. He reminded me of a mix between Patrick Kane and Backstrom.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Man, I'm really looking forward to watching Barzal this year. I was very skeptical of him last year but after he came back from his knee injury he was just magical and he skyrocketed up my personal rankings. I'm very keen to see if he can keep that level of play up during this year. If he does, I think more than one team will regret passing on him.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Man, I'm really looking forward to watching Barzal this year. I was very skeptical of him last year but after he came back from his knee injury he was just magical and he skyrocketed up my personal rankings. I'm very keen to see if he can keep that level of play up during this year. If he does, I think more than one team will regret passing on him.

It's very difficult for anyone like me to say, because I haven't seen any of the other players... But it's hard to believe that a player of this obvious quality lasted that long. It certainly balances out the fact that Dal Colle has been so lackluster.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Barzal was silky smooth tonight. The kid has great hands, his acceleration and skating is NHL ready, and his vision is really good. He is very agile and full of confidence. He reminded me of a mix between Patrick Kane and Backstrom.

Good comparison. I see a lot of Marc Savard in his game. He has the patience, hands, vision, and skating of an elite playmaker.

Is there any chance he makes the team?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's very difficult for anyone like me to say, because I haven't seen any of the other players... But it's hard to believe that a player of this obvious quality lasted that long. It certainly balances out the fact that Dal Colle has been so lackluster.

Well Barzal's skating is NHL ready and will be above average in the NHL one day, while Dal Colle's skating is not NHL ready and will probably not be above average in the NHL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What do you make of him surviving last Beauvillier? Has Barzal been noticeably better?

Beauvillier handled the speed of the NHL game well and wasn't shying away from going to the dirty areas despite his lack of size, but he needs a ton of physical maturing to do. Barzal's not physically mature by any means either, but his lower body strength is much more developed compared to Beauvillier's and it has allowed him to beat NHL players on occasion, while Beauvillier was getting smothered up most of the time.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
All this was, we think, is a reward. It's pretty obvious that NYI did this because he was the top young player in camp. It's possible they may keep him on the roster for a few days into the regular season to give him some spending cash + a window (from the press box) about what NHL hockey is all about.

I think this was a bit of a message to MDC. Not so much to Beauvillier - they praised him effusively. He's just not physically ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad