C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I know this is ridiculously early, but this kid just put on a clinic in the Quebec International peewee tournament setting a new record for points with 19 in 6 games. Apparently over 1000 NHL players in the past have played in that tournament so that is an impressive record to hold.

He is 2000 born so likely 2018 eligible unless he is a late birthday.

Again, just putting the name out there.

Reactions: Wings4Life

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I know this is ridiculously early, but this kid just put on a clinic in the Quebec International peewee tournament setting a new record for points with 19 in 6 games. Apparently over 1000 NHL players in the past have played in that tournament so that is an impressive record to hold.

He is 2000 born so likely 2018 eligible unless he is a late birthday.

Again, just putting the name out there.

I'm guessing you just watched that last game on the score? Looked good regardless

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
That I did. I actually wish they would show more of those games on tv. Impressive hockey to say the least.

No thanks. I was so pissed since I was watching the Mavs-Bulls game and it was in the final minute and was a great game and close. Then they switch to ****ing peewee hockey and I had to go online to check who won after. Couldn't believe that.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
No thanks. I was so pissed since I was watching the Mavs-Bulls game and it was in the final minute and was a great game and close. Then they switch to ****ing peewee hockey and I had to go online to check who won after. Couldn't believe that.

Yikes, that IS ridiculous.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Just committed to Boston University for 2018-2019. Here's a year old article about him: http://www.ushr.com/news/20130427/4913?label=The+New+‘Next+One’

Quotes from two of his coaches:

“He’s not one of those kids who just muscles by. He has hands, he’s a good skater, and he has a head for the game. And he wants it. Watch him in skill sessions -- he really gets at it. He has a purpose out there. He has that drive. He reminds me of (Luke) Kirwan.”

“He could play on our 16 Team,” Tremblay adds, “but I don’t see any need to rush him. He will be playing up as a 14.”
“He is a really dominant player, and has been for some time now -- since he was a mite, really. Jack Eichel was also a dominant player, but at the same age I think Jake might be slightly ahead of him. There is no doubt that (Wise) is a sure-fire NTDP/D-I prospect.”

He was 5'10 at 13. This kid may be huge and have the skill to go with it. Although very long way to go still but yea. Intruiging player.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
after talking about Eichel and Matthews, I figured it Wise (haha) to start talking about this kid again, as from all accounts he is further ahead of where Eichel was at that age.

elite level skill finally starting to come out more and more for the US..

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
after talking about Eichel and Matthews, I figured it Wise (haha) to start talking about this kid again, as from all accounts he is further ahead of where Eichel was at that age.

elite level skill finally starting to come out more and more for the US..

The days of Canadians consistently going #1 are gone. I think it is great for the game though.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
The days of Canadians consistently going #1 are gone. I think it is great for the game though.

I think maybe we should wait until Canadians stop consistently going #1 overall (08,09,10,11,13,14) until we make a statement like that.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
hmmm if you are talking about 2000 players it will be a native of the Q above all :yo:

with all due respect

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was 4+6=10 points in 6 games at the youth olympics. One of the very best players at the tournament, maybe the best along with Svechnikov. Is he the next Eichel or Matthews in terms of USA centers?

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He was 4+6=10 points in 6 games at the youth olympics. One of the very best players at the tournament, maybe the best along with Svechnikov. Is he the next Eichel or Matthews in terms of USA centers?

The hype is certainly there, and has been for some time now. I remember some youth coaches who had both he and Eichel said it was a scary thought that he was even better at the same age comparatively.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I'm predicting he will have an Eichel/Connor type impact in NCAA so he should just go the Europe pro route. :sarcasm:

Jk, it's too early to tell but he looks good. Hopefully another Eichel level player and not another Khodorenko.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Way too early to say for sure but yeah he looked great at the YOG. Great playmaker, powerful skater. He's got a ton of potential.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I didn't watch Eichel at his age but with that skill level and speed you have to think he is up there. Seems dominant in his own age group, even among other top prospects.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
For comparison, Eichel had 2g, 4a at the Youth Olympic Games in 6 games whereas Wise had 4g, 6a. Should be fun to follow Wise's development since he's going to follow a very similar path as Eichel going from Boston youth hockey to the YOG to the NTDP to BU.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Is there any word on where Wise will play next year? Is there any reason to believe that he'll end up anywhere else than the NTDP, or is it a slam dunk?

617Marine

Aug 17, 2012
Boston

I didn't watch Eichel at his age but with that skill level and speed you have to think he is up there. Seems dominant in his own age group, even among other top prospects.

My buddy coaches on a team that plays against Wise. I ask him about Wise every time I see him, and his response is always glowing. Just totally dominant against a majority of players that are older than him. The type of kid that just takes over the game. Wise is considered by many to be one of the top players in the state, two scouts who've watched him have said he's pretty comparable to Eichel was at the same age.* Hard to believe he only turns 16 on Sunday.

Is there any word on where Wise will play next year? Is there any reason to believe that he'll end up anywhere else than the NTDP, or is it a slam dunk?

Central Catholic is a bubble team for the Super 8 tournament this year, and it's pretty much guaranteed Wise leaves the team after this year. From the rumor's coming out his league, it sounds like he's going to the national team, but nothing official yet.

I'm really excited to watch this kid's progression.

*(Rookie of the year article with scout opinion)
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...h-school-hockey-rookie-of-the-year-bu-recruit

DudeAbides2*

The day he told CC he was enrolling they knew he was going to the U17 team in two years. No great surprise to anybody. Apparently he is a very humble, coachable kid who comes from a nice family that keeps it all very grounded while fully supportive. Sounds eerily similar to the Eichel families approach!

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
For anyone who has seen both, how does he look relative to Wahlstrom?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is there a reason he wasn't picked for the WJC-18 and Eichel and Matthews were? Is it because Eichel and Matthews are both very old for their draft and Wise isn't that old for his draft? Or is Wise just not as good?

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Just for fun, who do view with higher upside for the 2018 draft, Veleno or Wise for anyone who's seen both?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Is there a reason he wasn't picked for the WJC-18 and Eichel and Matthews were? Is it because Eichel and Matthews are both very old for their draft and Wise isn't that old for his draft? Or is Wise just not as good?

Huh? Wise just turned 16. Neither Eichel or Matthews played in the U18 at 16. They both made the WJC-18 when they were on the U17 team. Wise just committed to the same team.

Wise is as hyped as Eichel was coming into the NTDP. We'll know more next year to see if he can turn out to be on the same level as those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad