C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Huh? Wise just turned 16. Neither Eichel or Matthews played in the U18 at 16. They both made the WJC-18 when they were on the U17 team. Wise just committed to the same team.

Wise is as hyped as Eichel was coming into the NTDP. We'll know more next year to see if he can turn out to be on the same level as those guys.

They were both on the WJC-18 two seasons before their draft year. They both have late birthdays and Wise has an early birthday. I realize that. Is that the main reason why they made the WJC-18 team two seasons before their draft year and Wise didn't?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
They were both on the WJC-18 two seasons before their draft year. They both have late birthdays and Wise has an early birthday. I realize that. Is that the main reason why they made the WJC-18 team two seasons before their draft year and Wise didn't?

If you know the answer why ask the question?

dwanmaster*

They were both single underagers when they made the team. If Wise made it this year he'd be a double underager.

Draft eligibility is irrelevant in international tournaments as it goes by birth year

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
What happened to this prospect, I remember hearing about him being the next great American talent a few years ago, and then never heard much about him since. Next year is a big year for him, if he puts up great numbers with the USHL - then he'll be the third massively hyped American prospect in the last 3 years. :laugh:

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
What happened to this prospect, I remember hearing about him being the next great American talent a few years ago, and then never heard much about him since. Next year is a big year for him, if he puts up great numbers with the USHL - then he'll be the third massively hyped American prospect in the last 3 years. :laugh:

Was tied for the lead in points in the Youth Olympics. Year after next is his draft year, looks like he'll go very high.

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
Wise was drafted by the Halifax Mooseheads today- probably a 0.00001% chance he reports but if he did then the Mooseheads would have had a draft for the ages today with Groulx, McIsaac, Gravel....

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
If anyone in the Q has the ability to convince a guy to join them, it's Halifax. This will be interesting.

If they hit a home run in the Import Draft they'll be right back up at the top.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Having guys like Mackinnon, Drouin, Ehlers, Meier all go top 10 in the draft in the past 3 years makes this a real attractive spot. Still highly doubt they'll convince Wise, but if he somehow got into a sticky situation or decides he doesn't want to do one year of college then you never know.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

This is a truly incredible post.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Wise is a super exciting prospect.

Look for him to tear up the USNDTP next year.

"If all three of them were in the same draft year, many scouts I talk to have Jake Wise going first, over Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel, a truly generational player" - Bob McKenzie (hypothetical) if Jake Wise puts up better numbers than Matthews or Eichel.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
His U17 season is underway with the US team, which also features Oliver Wahlstrom.
Looking forward to what our American prospects followers have to say about these two, and a few other guys on that team. Stacked class coming up for 2018

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His U17 season is underway with the US team, which also features Oliver Wahlstrom.
Looking forward to what our American prospects followers have to say about these two, and a few other guys on that team. Stacked class coming up for 2018
Pronman took Veleno over him in his article about the "next" U-24 team. I asked him about it, and said NHL people feel a bit more comfortable projecting Veleno to the next level due to Wise's current size. Obviously, with 2 full seasons to go a lot of development can happen.

With how weak the USNDP 1999 class is, I'm really curious if Wise is as good as the hype around him how quickly he gets bumped up to the U-18 team. Considering the attention around this kid, I am fully expecting to see him at the U-18 WJC in April. The 2018 draft class is looking really good at the top right now (Veleno, Svechnikov and Wise) plus some other high-end looking guys (Merkley, Wilde, Groulx, McIssac and Nizhnikov). Just to clarify, outside of Veleno and Svechnikov, I haven't watched any of these guys play so I'm going off people's opinions I trust.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Interesting how he was listed at 5'10 at 13 and now at 16 he is still 5'10...Bit disappointing that he hasn't grown much (if at all). Either way, will be interesting to compare his U17 season with recent top guys out of the NTDP system like Eichel, Matthews and Keller to see what kind of level he is at.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why NCAA and not the Q?
He's from a college hockey hotbed, it tends to be difficult to get New England kids or Minnesota kids into the CHL. It is not much of a surprise a local Boston kid aspires to win the Beanpot. Granted due to his birthday, and how good people expect him to be, he may be the first player to go straight from the USNDP to the NHL.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
So crazy that Kessel, Kane, Eichel, and Matthews all happened to be late bdays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad