C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So crazy that Kessel, Kane, Eichel, and Matthews all happened to be late bdays.
Could probably also add Seth Jones to the list of kids who were late birthdays but could have made the jump. From what I remember he would have gone 2 at the latest in that draft. Granted, the lockout happened so, he probably would have had a temp stop in Portland anyway.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
NTDP has played 4 games so far. Come on.

As an o/t aside - is this group bigger and heavier than usual or am i just forgetting previous rosters.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
NTDP has played 4 games so far. Come on.

As an o/t aside - is this group bigger and heavier than usual or am i just forgetting previous rosters.

Without Sean Dhooghe the average size of each player likely jumps up an inch and 5-10 pounds, and I mean that in the utmost respect.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
He played well last night, his line was the most noticeable, but then again the whole team was. This is a really stacked team coming into the program. One play he made that stood out was the goal to put them up 5 or 6 to nothing (can't remember) but he was first to the puck in the corner and fed a pass to Deboer behind the net which was then centered for the one timer. He showed his speed but it was just one game. I'm sure in a month we'll have a few highlight reels of him.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
It must be the latter, because four games isn't nearly enough to dethrone Wise as the presumed top U17 player.

Exactly, Wise remain the top prospect and Wahlstrom the 2nd one for me.

The 1st game of the regular season, Wise played better than in the pre-season. His line with Farabee and DeBoer was dominant, but Farabee was the best of the 3 on the line. Weiss played well, but not dominant. Wahlstrom was really good too.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Bit of a slow start for him with the U17s (4 points in 11 games), but the whole team seems to have trouble putting up goals. Coaching issue? Would love to hear some input from our NTDP followers on this board

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Seems like the whole NTDP is a mess so far this year.

U17 went 0-2 against MN HS Elite League teams this weekend and the Gophers beat the U18 9-0.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
Seems like the whole NTDP is a mess so far this year.

U17 went 0-2 against MN HS Elite League teams this weekend and the Gophers beat the U18 9-0.

Not shocked, the 18's were a very weak group and the 17' s have a crappy coach.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Thought he was good, not great at U17 world challenge. He had nice moments - didn't look like the player i've seen some claim will at the top of the list for the '18 draft...but it was a small sample.

His size isn't fantastic, he doesn't seem to have grown much the last 12 months, and his skating isn't mindblowing.

He's obviously a very smart player, so there's that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Thought he was good, not great at U17 world challenge. He had nice moments - didn't look like the player i've seen some claim will at the top of the list for the '18 draft...but it was a small sample.

His size isn't fantastic, he doesn't seem to have grown much the last 12 months, and his skating isn't mindblowing.

He's obviously a very smart player, so there's that.

I commented that if Wise wants to be a star he needs to seriously change his style of play assuming he doesn't grow. His skating is nothing special for a 5'10" guy and I feel like he's trying too much to play like a Jack Eichel or an Auston Matthews, when he needs to play like a Johnny Gaudreau or Patrick Kane.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought his skating was pretty good. I didn't watch that much, but I saw one end to end rush that a guy with average skating just wouldn't be able to have. He's definitely not that tall, 5'10 is probably right, but he looks strong. Crosby is only 5'11, Giroux is as well. Wise can probably stick at center at 5'10, as long as he's strong, and is a good defensive player. If he grows another inch or few inches, that would help out his draft status.

I probably wouldn't put him top 5 for 2018 right now, but I think he's definitely in top 15 range for 2018. He has a chance to be as good as people thought, but it would require him growing another few inches. If he does that, I think he could be a top 5 pick in 2018.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I thought his skating was pretty good. I didn't watch that much, but I saw one end to end rush that a guy with average skating just wouldn't be able to have. He's definitely not that tall, 5'10 is probably right, but he looks strong. Crosby is only 5'11, Giroux is as well. Wise can probably stick at center at 5'10, as long as he's strong, and is a good defensive player. If he grows another inch or few inches, that would help out his draft status.

I probably wouldn't put him top 5 for 2018 right now, but I think he's definitely in top 15 range for 2018. He has a chance to be as good as people thought, but it would require him growing another few inches. If he does that, I think he could be a top 5 pick in 2018.
People were claiming he would be better than Eichel. The expectations were him and Veleno would be a very strong #1 and #2. Right now the top of the draft is looking like Rasmus Dahlin and Svetchnikov, although we are a long way out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
People were claiming he would be better than Eichel. The expectations were him and Veleno would be a very strong #1 and #2. Right now the top of the draft is looking like Rasmus Dahlin and Svetchnikov, although we are a long way out.

Eichel's stats weren't that good his first year with the NTDP program. For the U-17 Team, he was 19+15=34 in 36 games. For the U-18 team, he was 10+8=18 in 22 games. And for the Juniors in the USHL, he was 13+14=27 in 35 games. At the World Hockey Challenge Under 17, he was 3+0 in 5 games. Wise was 2+2=4 in 5 games at the World Hockey Challenge Under 17, so he was probably even better than Eichel at that tournament. And while his stats other than this tournament aren't that good, its been like two months of games. The team has struggled, not just Wise. He could rattle off a bunch of points the next month, and no one would question his stats.

I'm not even worried about the stats compared to those players. I'm not worried about the offense either. I think he is very dynamic offensively, based on what I watched at this recent tournament and the Youth Olympic games. The thing to question with Wise is his size. Can he stay at center at 5'10 185? Maybe, maybe not. If he was 6'0, I think it would be a lot easier to project him as Eichel level. Wise is probably going to be a 1st round pick just because he's not that short and has pretty good offensive skills that can probably project in an NHL top 6, even if its just as a 5'10 winger. What would get him to that top tier is being a player who scouts think can be a 1C. That'll likely depend a lot on his height. Very few 5'10 players at 1C's. Right now he's a talented offensive player with average height. He needs to do as much as he can to stay at center, and thats working on his defensive game, face-offs, and hoping he grows another few inches. If he doesn't grow another few inches and can become a complete player, maybe he's Claude Giroux and is one of the few under 6'0 who can stick as a high level center. We are only talking about another 2 or 3 inches though. His offensive skills are probably there with the Eichel's and Matthews in their first year with the NTDP. He's not Eichel or Matthews level yet, a lot of it because of his height.

I think the only three players who I'd place in the top tier for 2018 are Dahlin, Wilde and Veleno. Some others like Wise, Merkley, Khovanov have height concerns, Svechknikov has a positional concern as top level wingers are usually less valuable than top level centers or defenseman. I think the 2018 Draft looks like one of the better recent drafts about 20 months out, but there's a lot of unknowns near the top of the draft. In another year, there will probably be another few players who can be placed in that top tier, but right now, I'd say Dahlin probably has the advantage for 1OA for 2018 with Wilde and Veleno not too far behind.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stats look better.

Now tied for second on the U-17 program in points in the USDP. He's second in the USHL in points for the U-17 program. 4 points in 5 games at the WHC.

He has 19 points in 33 games, if you count all games, which isn't that bad.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Stats look better.

Now tied for second on the U-17 program in points in the USDP. He's second in the USHL in points for the U-17 program. 4 points in 5 games at the WHC.

He has 19 points in 33 games, if you count all games, which isn't that bad.
Pretty sure you are double counting. USNDP stats on Elite generally include his USHL and Tournament numbers.

Edit: Here is his USNDP game log to show you which games count towards the 20. I was correct in saying that it was USHL and U-17 challenge were included.

http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/roster_players/13450244

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pretty sure you are double counting. USNDP stats on Elite generally include his USHL and Tournament numbers.

Edit: Here is his USNDP game log to show you which games count towards the 20. I was correct in saying that it was USHL and U-17 challenge were included.

http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/roster_players/13450244

Wasn't aware of that. I always am unsure how to count stats for players playing for that program since it lists a few different leagues they play in on EP.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wasn't aware of that. I always am unsure how to count stats for players playing for that program since it lists a few different leagues they play in on EP.
Yeah, I learned over the years they were double counting or just providing more detail. For example, if you look at someone like Matthews or Bracco then add their stats togeather you get an absolutely insane amount of points and games played. For all USNDP stats, I'd recommend using their official site.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Yeah, I learned over the years they were double counting or just providing more detail. For example, if you look at someone like Matthews or Bracco then add their stats togeather you get an absolutely insane amount of points and games played. For all USNDP stats, I'd recommend using their official site.

It's not that difficult, the "USDP" stats on EP are the same as on the USNTDP website, where all games they've played over the entire season for the program is included, whereas the "USNTDP Juniors" are just the stats from the USHL.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Hoping Wise has a bounce back year. Obviously wont be the next Eichel like he was projected to be a while ago, but hoping he can improve on last season and raise his stock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad