C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Both teams also play some international tournaments.

The NTDP website usually has highlights of games posted, as long as the game was televised. Most, but not all, of the home games are produced for TV by Schoolcraft College and telecast on the local Comcast sports channel.

Reactions: beukeboom

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
3 more points tonight (1g, 2a). The Farabee/Hughes/Wahlstrom line is a force.

I wonder how being on a line with Hughes will affect Farabee and Wahlstrom's draft stock.

EDIT: Wow, Hughes has 13 points and 24 shots in 7 games with the U18's. That's nuts. For reference, Matthews had 17 points in 20 games with the U18's after he was promoted and Eichel had 18 in 22. Different situations (Matthews' U18 callup was to the stacked Eichel/Milano/Tuch/Larkin team and Eichel's was to the horrific 95s lead by Tyler Kelleher and Anthony Louis, whereas Hughes was immediately injected into the U18's top line with two excellent wingers), but still extremely impressive.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Looks like those McDavid and Tavares comparisons we were making regarding his scoring at GTMMHL weren't that crazy after all. His USDP scoring is absolutely bonkers for his age and considering his skillset, there's no doubt he has the potential to quickly become one of the best players in the league if not the best.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Are there any video summaries about the last two games? The one with his five points wasn't summarized by the USNTDP....

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Looks like those McDavid and Tavares comparisons we were making regarding his scoring at GTMMHL weren't that crazy after all. His USDP scoring is absolutely bonkers for his age and considering his skillset, there's no doubt he has the potential to quickly become one of the best players in the league if not the best.

Alright, I'm officially on the hype train. 2019 is going to be a special year for Detroit/Arizona.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Very interesting to see how his draft year will work out. Seems that there's a good possibility that he's the best offensive prospect since McDavid. Does anybody know where he intends to play?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Very interesting to see how his draft year will work out. Seems that there's a good possibility that he's the best offensive prospect since McDavid. Does anybody know where he intends to play?

He hasn't committed to a NCAA club yet but I've heard pretty much every program is after him. He really has all of his options open. The Steelheads own his OHL rights, but I think it's unlikely he goes there. He could also pull a Matthews and head overseas.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I don’t know how likely or where’s he might go, but I know on one of Pronmans articles about him he mentioned that he knows Michigan is making a serious run for him. With his brother there maybe they have a chance. But that depends if his schooling is advanced enough.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

He'll get his rights traded to London and play alongside Boqvist and Tkachuk ;)

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Found these extended highlights. Great speed, edgework, and hands. He'd be downright scary if he was taller and heavier, as he seems to get rubbed off the puck a few times in here.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Found these extended highlights. Great speed, edgework, and hands. He'd be downright scary if he was taller and heavier, as he seems to get rubbed off the puck a few times in here.

Haha, that was great! He got dummied several times, but was always in the mix. Just needs to be a little stronger on his stick.

It's a definitely a boon to be on ice with Hughes. Sucks in all the defenders.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I wonder how being on a line with Hughes will affect Farabee and Wahlstrom's draft stock.

That's an interesting question.

I'd say it will improve Wahlstrom's stock. Everyone knows his skill, but this is the first time he's getting to play with an elite center and the results speak for themselves. In the 8 games with Hughes, Wahlstrom has 14 points (10g, 4a), a 1.75 ppg clip. Before Hughes joined the U18s, Wahlstrom was producing at a 1.19 ppg clip. Wahlstrom's always produced, but his production now is peaking.

Farabee's seen similar results. He has 12 points (4g, 8 a) in the 8 games, a 1.5 ppg clip, whereas he was at a 1.04 ppg clip before Hughes. I think Farabee's more likely to be victimized by the "passenger" label, even though it would be completely misplaced. He's a skilled, well-rounded forward. I don't think it will hurt his stock, but I'm not sure he'll see the same bump as Wahlstrom.

Both of them should be locks for the first round either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juxtaposer

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
He hasn't committed to a NCAA club yet but I've heard pretty much every program is after him. He really has all of his options open. The Steelheads own his OHL rights, but I think it's unlikely he goes there. He could also pull a Matthews and head overseas.

Hughes is not a late birthday like Matthews was, so his draft year will be after his 2018-19 US NTDP season (assuming he returns to the program next year). If he ends up going at or near the top of the 2019 draft, which appears will be the case, he may very well go straight to the NHL. Matthews was a late birthday and had a year to kill between the completion of his NTDP eligibility and his draft year -- Hughes does not.

BTW, Hughes scored the game winning goal with 51 seconds left last night in Chicago. He continues to thrive on the U18 team playing with Wahlstrom and Farabee. All three players are benefiting from his move to the U18 squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad