C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Second-line center between Gruden and Wahlstrom according to tonight's projected lineup:

Wow, Wise is back, he hasn't played in ages.

Will be interesting to see how it works out. Previously they were just stacking the 1st line with Farabee and Wahlstrom. And is Pivonka injured?

Edit: And did Mattias Samuelsson decommit? I thought he was Michigan bound. They don't have the Michigan logo next to him.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Second-line center between Gruden and Wahlstrom according to tonight's projected lineup:

Wow, wild guess ;-)
Even a newbie to hockey can look that up. But thanks for answering! No offense intended! So: apologies for being sarcastic. :)

However, do you guys see Hughes as second-tier to Wise - especially if the later hasn't played in a while? Or why do they put him on second line?

On another note: who is captain for the U17s now?

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Wow, Wise is back, he hasn't played in ages.

Will be interesting to see how it works out. Previously they were just stacking the 1st line with Farabee and Wahlstrom. And is Pivonka injured?

Edit: And did Mattias Samuelsson decommit? I thought he was Michigan bound. They don't have the Michigan logo next to him.
Yep, Wise returning is notable too. Granted, I didn't watch them through, but the last two U18 games were Farabee-Pivonka-Giles IIRC, so idk if he picked up a knock or not. No Michigan logo would be a recent development for M.Samuelsson.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yep, Wise returning is notable too. Granted, I didn't watch them through, but the last two U18 games were Farabee-Pivonka-Giles IIRC, so idk if he picked up a knock or not. No Michigan logo would be a recent development for M.Samuelsson.
With no Leafs on, I would have checked this game out if Canada wasn't playing Denmark. Maybe if Canada can put up a big lead I'll put it on. Really interested to see how he looks against a D1 team and how he clicks with Wahlstrom.

Reactions: Frannel

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
And is Pivonka injured?

Don't know if this answers it, but the lineup says: scratches: DJ King & Jake Pivonka.

Edit: If any of you watching the game could give a short comment on how Hughes did afterwards, that would be great. The German hockey newbie here can't watch due to time zone differences and no access to the channel... ;-) thanks!

And thanks for being patient with me!

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
However, do you guys see Hughes as second-tier to Wise - especially if the later hasn't played in a while? Or why do they put him on second line?

Hughes may be on the “second” line listed, but whichever line Wahlstrom is on is realistically the first line.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
He had an assist in his first NCAA game. Wasn't able to watch the game could anyone provide more information as to how he did?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
However, do you guys see Hughes as second-tier to Wise - especially if the later hasn't played in a while? Or why do they put him on second line? On another note: who is captain for the U17s now?
So far in the first ten minutes, both Wise and Hughes have had three shifts, with Hughes following each Wise shift, so it's indistinguishable ice time. And I believe Turcotte's the captain for the U17's.
With no Leafs on, I would have checked this game out if Canada wasn't playing Denmark. Maybe if Canada can put up a big lead I'll put it on. Really interested to see how he looks against a D1 team and how he clicks with Wahlstrom.
He had an assist in his first NCAA game. Wasn't able to watch the game could anyone provide more information as to how he did?
I'll try and complete my viewing around today's WJC and NFL games. I'll probably save the thread bumps and summary gifs for both Wise and Hughes until tomorrow though. Idk how many there'll be to upload.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

2017-12-30: #43 J.Hughes - U18 vs North Dakota

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
@Woodhouse: Thanks for your analysis.

Does it only look like it or were the Dakota guys quite rough with him compared to his teammates?

Last edited:

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Thanks for the video summary. He looks great. Some top notch passes/vision, fantastic speed, puck handling skills. His only potential flaw must be his size, then yet NHL isn't particularly violent or "big" anymore.

Hughes is indeed a perfect player for this era of hockey.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
@Woodhouse: I barely dare to ask... would you, please, give us a summery and video clips of tonight's game as well?

Edit: Quite a lineup...

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I attended last night's NTDP game between the U18's and Ferris State. It was my first chance to see Jack Hughes since he was moved up from the U17 squad. He centered the top line between Wahlstrom and Farabee.

I thought Hughes was the best skater on the ice for either team. He definitely injected a lot of life into Farabee and Wahlstrom. He showed a lot of hustle and effort setting up the first goal of the game. I think it may take some time for his line mates to get used to receiving passes from Hughes, though. There were a few times where he threaded passes through traffic to one of them, and I don't think they were expecting it.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
How bad was this Ferris State team that they loose to a bunch of 17 year olds ??

brutal

I wasn't impressed with them last night. This U18 squad has been a disappointment most of the season -- struggling on offense and playing really poor defense. Yet for the first two periods last night they completely dominated FSU. Ferris State was able to produce a little better in the 3rd period only because the NTDP got lazy and reverted to their old ways on defense, giving up breakaways and odd-man rushes. FSU's only goal came late in the game when three NTDP players let a FSU player skate right past them for a clear break. Goalie Drew DeRidder should be suing for non-support -- he's been one of the few bright spots on this team. I think a lot of the blame for this team's play falls on new head coach Seth Appert. These same players did not look this disorganized defensively last year as the U17 squad under Danton Cole (now coaching at Michigan State).

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I wasn't impressed with them last night. This U18 squad has been a disappointment most of the season -- struggling on offense and playing really poor defense. Yet for the first two periods last night they completely dominated FSU. Ferris State was able to produce a little better in the 3rd period only because the NTDP got lazy and reverted to their old ways on defense, giving up breakaways and odd-man rushes. FSU's only goal came late in the game when three NTDP players let a FSU player skate right past them for a clear break. Goalie Drew DeRidder should be suing for non-support -- he's been one of the few bright spots on this team. I think a lot of the blame for this team's play falls on new head coach Seth Appert. These same players did not look this disorganized defensively last year as the U17 squad under Danton Cole (now coaching at Michigan State).

didnt ndtp win 5-1 ?
17 yr olds vs NCAA 22/23 yr olds

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
I wasn't impressed with them last night. This U18 squad has been a disappointment most of the season -- struggling on offense and playing really poor defense. Yet for the first two periods last night they completely dominated FSU. Ferris State was able to produce a little better in the 3rd period only because the NTDP got lazy and reverted to their old ways on defense, giving up breakaways and odd-man rushes. FSU's only goal came late in the game when three NTDP players let a FSU player skate right past them for a clear break.

Do you think with Hughes in the U18s they will find back to a better play or will it rather have a negative effect on Hughes?

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Just found this article about last night's game. Doesn't sound like Hughes is already fully accepted with the U18s yet...: “"I think I just got to be a good guy in the locker room and produce on the ice, play well, play my game and click with some of the players,” said the 16-year-old Hughes."
What do you think?
Article is here: Team USA takes 5-1 bite out of Ferris State Bulldogs

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Do you think with Hughes in the U18s they will find back to a better play or will it rather have a negative effect on Hughes?

That's a good question. Hughes clearly makes their top line with Wahlstrom and Farabee a lot better, and the team has struggled to score goals this season. I just hope he doesn't pick up bad habits under Appert's coaching, as the rest of the team apparently has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad