C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Does he graduate high school this year or he'd have to accelerate his studies to play NCAA next year? This age/school thing always confuses me, Eichel had to accelerate his studies to play at BU in his draft season even though he's a late birthday.

Any chance he'd leave the NTDP for the OHL? Who has his OHL rights?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Does he graduate high school this year or he'd have to accelerate his studies to play NCAA next year? This age/school thing always confuses me, Eichel had to accelerate his studies to play at BU in his draft season even though he's a late birthday.

Any chance he'd leave the NTDP for the OHL? Who has his OHL rights?

Mississauaga, it's unlikely he leaves for them. He'll probably just play USDP for his draft year.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Yes, it's highly unlikely he would play in the OHL next season, as that would reduce his options after the NHL Draft -- he would only be able to play in the NHL or OHL. If he stays with the NTDP next season, his options following the draft would include the NHL, AHL, NCAA and OHL. Although, with the way he's progressing, it may be a moot point anyway, as he could very well make the leap right to the NHL after the draft.

Being a little selfish, I hope he stays with the NTDP next season so I can watch him for another season. ;)

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Yes, it's highly unlikely he would play in the OHL next season, as that would reduce his options after the NHL Draft -- he would only be able to play in the NHL or OHL. If he stays with the NTDP next season, his options following the draft would include the NHL, AHL, NCAA and OHL. Although, with the way he's progressing, it may be a moot point anyway, as he could very well may make the leap right to the NHL after the draft.

Being a little selfish, I hope he stays with the NTDP next season so I can watch him for another season. ;)

I don’t think it matters where this kid plays next season, the options shouldn’t matter to him. He’s going straight to the NHL. Next season should be all about what and where will help him progress the most and become an NHL player.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don’t think it matters where this kid plays next season, the options shouldn’t matter to him. He’s going straight to the NHL. Next season should be all about what and where will help him progress the most and become an NHL player.

That is looking more and more likely. The other thing to consider for next season, though, is his family's situation. Assuming his brother Quinn returns to the University of Michigan next season, it's easier on his parents having both sons playing in such close proximity to each other if he stays with the NTDP.

I do not recall another NTDP player making the leap from the program directly to the NHL. Would Hughes be the first one if he does hang around next season?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
That is looking more and more likely. The other thing to consider for next season, though, is his family's situation. Assuming his brother Quinn returns to the University of Michigan next season, it's easier on his parents having both sons playing in such close proximity to each other if he stays with the NTDP.

I do not recall another NTDP player making the leap from the program directly to the NHL. Would Hughes be the first one if he does hang around next season?

He would be the first one, I don’t think he stays with the program next year... there really isn’t much left for him to prove.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I still think if possible it's likely he goes to Michigan and plays college. Quinn, being undersized d-man will probably be back for his sophomore season and Jack would get to play with his brother, and I think it is the only level next year that can really challenge him. NTDP or OHL isn't enough to challenge him. So if the whole schooling thing gets worked out thats my best bet. Not many guys have gone from first year of NTDP to College the next year, but Noah Hanifin did and so did Zach Werenski, so it is possible.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The fact that NTDP players haven't gone from the program straight to the NHL is mostly circumstance. Had guys like Matthews, Eichel, Kane, Kessel, Jones, etc. not been late birthdays, or had guys like Hanifin and Werenski not accelerated to the NCAA, it would have certainly happened multiple times over by now. There's also been guys like EJ that could have possibly done so if they weren't dead set on playing NCAA hockey.

I have no inside information, but I'd guess Jack is either back with the NTDP or at Michigan next season. He could play in the NCAA right now, so if he can accelerate and play with his brother as well, it seems too obvious not to happen. The OHL wouldn't be a big enough leap in competition from what he's already facing and I doubt his family relocated to Michigan if the plan was for Jack to turn around and head back to Ontario.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Eager to hide that your golden boy got all his training in Canada?

Yes, I’m salty. Hughes is a fantastic player and

whocares-Matthews-whocares
whocares-Eichel-whocares
whocares-Hughes-whocares

is severely distressing. :)

I say this honestly, but I think we could be witnessing a turn in terms of the world hockey superpower. It's bound to happen eventually, but with the way the game has been growing and the US sheer size over Canada, they'll probably over take us at some point.

The amount of talent they've been pumping out lately is great to see.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I say this honestly, but I think we could be witnessing a turn in terms of the world hockey superpower. It's bound to happen eventually, but with the way the game has been growing and the US sheer size over Canada, they'll probably over take us at some point.

The amount of talent they've been pumping out lately is great to see.
I refuse to recognize it. Even if they’re beating us 20-0 in the WJC or Olympics a decade or two from now, I’ll find some way to blame it on the refs or something.

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Eager to hide that your golden boy got all his training in Canada?

Yes, I’m salty. Hughes is a fantastic player and

whocares-Matthews-whocares
whocares-Eichel-whocares
whocares-Hughes-whocares

is severely distressing. :)

I was actually going to put change the title so people do not think this kid is Canadian!! hahaha

I didn't want people to get excited to see the thread and then realizes he and his family are American!!

Reactions: 99664987

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
From what I see, this kid gets laid out all the time and gets right back up and goes after the puck again, love it. Born play maker thats quick in tight spaces.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How do Hughes and Lafreniere compare?

Personally, I have Hughes significantly higher.

It's tough to compare them because they are very different players. Hughes is a excellent skating pass first center who has the puck on a string.

Lafreniere is a smooth skating winger who loves to crash the net and battles hard for pucks. His hard and accurate shot is even more lethal by how he can get it off from just about anywhere.

Very different players who will likely carve out very different paths in the NHL. Lafreiniere is probably the best Canadian winger to come about in a very long time. Probably not since the days of Lafleur and Bossy have we had a winger with such high potential. Usually we produce a lot of centers and dmen. Hughes and him will be very different player but likely compared for much of their careers.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's tough to compare them because they are very different players. Hughes is a excellent skating pass first center who has the puck on a string.

Lafreniere is a smooth skating winger who loves to crash the net and battles hard for pucks. His hard and accurate shot is even more lethal by how he can get it off from just about anywhere.

Very different players who will likely carve out very different paths in the NHL. Lafreiniere is probably the best Canadian winger to come about in a very long time. Probably not since the days of Lafleur and Bossy have we had a winger with such high potential. Usually we produce a lot of centers and dmen. Hughes and him will be very different player but likely compared for much of their careers.
I don't think at comparable ages he's noticeably above Hall. Especially when you factor in Hall's raw tools.

I think people really forget in how high regard Hall was held in.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think at comparable ages he's noticeably above Hall. Especially when you factor in Hall's raw tools.

I think people really forget in how high regard Hall was held in.

He played pretty well on a fairly decent Windsor team. But I don't think he took over games the way Alexis does at this point in time. He's bar none the best player on his team, and among one of the best player in the QMJHL. Not only that but he should finish with similar or better totals with considerably weaker linemates IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino