C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 6

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Glass half full. We get it.

Hughes very well may have been drafted for what he is down the road...but, wait a second, so is everyone else. All else aside, he’s having the worst season for a first overall pick in the history of the modern NHL, presented with ample ice time, given the opportunity to make it work with very good and elite players, and dedicated powerplay opportunity. I’ve never seen a player so easily pushed around, and he obviously has his struggles away from the puck (although so does practically every 18 year old), but is also pacing for 28 points and 10 goals with only 16 EVP and 6 EVG. A quarter of his production came in a single week, and he only has 6 points against current playoff teams. SIX!

The worst rookie season. To say all the experts predicted this and everything is going swimmingly is...I’ve gotten too many mod warnings to keep going. Take a look at the way the Devils marketed the kid and tell me everything is going according to plan.

This subpar start to Hughes’ career does not take away from the legitimately elite potential he was drafted for, but discarding it out of hand is foolish. This season has shown me that he has yet to prove if his calling-card skating ability can be consistently gamebreaking away from the perimeter, and his physical weakness and lack of a strong shot are real impediments to his game that he will have to overcome. Those are subjective opinion statements, but can anyone really refute them with evidence?

If a guy like Dach had received similar opportunity, Hughes would have been surpassed in scoring by a player who has shown incredible talent away from the puck and in the difficult areas, and is as raw and full of potential as anyone.

Looking forward to the response(s).
I’m honestly not sure what point you are trying to make. I responded to a guy that said “we were told” followed by something we weren’t. I said that all the experts didn’t expect much from him in his first year, but expect elite potential in a couple years.

I’m not sure what there is or isn’t to refute.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I’m honestly not sure what point you are trying to make. I responded to a guy that said “we were told” followed by something we weren’t. I said that all the experts didn’t expect much from him in his first year, but expect elite potential in a couple years.

I simply strongly disagree with the notion being pushed in here that this season doesn’t mean anything and he’s right where everyone thought he would/should be.

Reactions: TimeZone

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
His PDO is .973 with a 5.11% on ice sh%.

His GF% is 35.5%, while his xGF% is 47.7%

He's snakebitten, awful puck luck. He should probably have about 30-35 points right now, which is more or less where you'd expect him to be after 54 games.
That is indeed unsustainable in the long term, although his own shooting struggles add into that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is absolutely the season people were expecting... Why does this narrative keep getting pushed that he was expected to produce a lot more. Nearly all the experts said he WOULD NOT have an immediate impact, but in 2-3 years would be an absolute force.

Now go find the 1 or 2 people who posted hyperbolic opinions on HF boards as proof he was expected to be Mcdavid.
No, he wasn't expected to have a season where he was below .5 ppg while playing 16 minutes a game, with mostly 1st unit PP time.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
No, he wasn't expected to have a season where he was below .5 ppg while playing 16 minutes a game, with mostly 1st unit PP time.

He is 5th for skaters on the team in PP time per game, 14 seconds per game more than 6th (Nico Hischier) and 15 seconds per game more than 7th (Travis Zajac) so yeah, I guess you could say that's "mostly 1st unit PP time" if you were trying to make Hughes sound as bad as possible.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is 5th for skaters on the team in PP time per game, 14 seconds per game more than 6th (Nico Hischier) and 15 seconds per game more than 7th (Travis Zajac) so yeah, I guess you could say that's "mostly 1st unit PP time" if you were trying to make Hughes sound as bad as possible.
Or, you know, actually being accurate and not overly defensive. Considering your statement is including someone like Hall, who got traded awhile ago, and with the rotating injuries of players factoring in.

And, plus, stats I have, have him at 3rd on the team at 3:20 minutes a game, behind only Taylor Hall and Palmieri.

NHL.com Stats

So, no. I don't think my statement was intentionally misleading or wrong. If I wanted to make him sound as bad as possible, I could say a lot of other things within reason, but my goal isn't to drag him down.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

Where are you getting those stats? Because they’re horribly wrong.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Or, you know, actually being accurate and not overly defensive. Considering your statement is including someone like Hall, who got traded awhile ago, and with the rotating injuries of players factoring in.

And, plus, stats I have, have him at 3rd on the team at 3:20 minutes a game, behind only Taylor Hall and Palmieri.

NHL.com Stats

So, no. I don't think my statement was intentionally misleading or wrong. If I wanted to make him sound as bad as possible, I could say a lot of other things within reason, but my goal isn't to drag him down.

Where are you getting those stats? Because they’re horribly wrong.

They were preseason stats. My mistake. Apologies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

People expected him to have better than a .5 ppg. Yes, he wasn't anticipated to light it up like McDavid or Matthews in year one, but better than this was expected. You know there is a large gap between what he is doing now, and high-end production for a rookie.

Reactions: Dominance

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
When I was looking at lines on Daily Faceoff the other day I saw that Hughes was playing left wing on the top line. Is this something new that is being tried? I haven’t watched a lot of Devils games.

I remember there being a lot of chat about him having to move to the wing due to his size before he was drafted.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
When I was looking at lines on Daily Faceoff the other day I saw that Hughes was playing left wing on the top line. Is this something new that is being tried? I haven’t watched a lot of Devils games.

I remember there being a lot of chat about him having to move to the wing due to his size before he was drafted.

It’s a relatively new experiment that should end sooner rather than later IMO

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

It’s what they should have done soon after the season began IMO. Loads of great centres in the NHL have started their seasons playing on the wing, getting their legs under them at the NHL level before accepting the additional responsibilities of the centreman position.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
People expected him to have better than a .5 ppg. Yes, he wasn't anticipated to light it up like McDavid or Matthews in year one, but better than this was expected. You know there is a large gap between what he is doing now, and high-end production for a rookie.
What people? I remember scouting reports that said he might struggle to adjust his first year, and he is.

I don’t care too much about his point totals as long as he is actually learning what does and doesn’t translate to the NHL and comes back better next year.

If he comes back next year and doesn’t look like he learned a thing, I’ll start to worry.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What people? I remember scouting reports that said he might struggle to adjust his first year, and he is.

I don’t care too much about his point totals as long as he is actually learning what does and doesn’t translate to the NHL and comes back better next year.

If he comes back next year and doesn’t look like he learned a thing, I’ll start to worry.
I dunno, how about this quote from Pronman in October?

The first overall pick from this past draft is a player who should step in and be one of the best pure skaters in the league. The physicality of the league may be an adjustment as an 18-year-old at his size, but he should still make an impact offensively. I could see 50 points, if not more, from Hughes this season as someone who drives possession.

Very few scouting reports expected him to struggle to produce to this level offensively. Given the uptick in league scoring, no one was predicting him to have the worst D+1 season offensively since the 2005 full season lockout that opened up the game offensively for young players. Nothing in McKenzie's write up says this. Just look at this quote

“It’s so close,” said yet another scout. “We leaned towards Hughes because we think he could be as impactful as Pat Kane was in Chicago [where Kane went No. 1 in 2007]. Let’s say [Hughes] doesn’t turn out to be as good [as Kane]. Worst-case scenario – and I’m not saying I think this will happen but let’s say it did – he’s [Arizona Coyote] Clayton Keller. What did Keller get in his rookie season, 23 goals? Keller is a really good player. That’s the [comparative] floor for Hughes and he’ll likely be better than that, maybe a lot better.”

Or how about Chris Peters

As gifted as Hughes is and as improved as the Devils appear to be on paper, there is at least some reason to hedge on the American phenom's rookie season output. For one, he is the first player to make the jump directly from the U.S. National Team Development Program to the NHL. Hughes performed well in preseason NHL games and at the Men's World Championship last spring, but he has a lot to learn about the rigors of an NHL season. Despite that, Hughes has the tools -- specifically his speed and hockey sense -- to make a substantial impact at this level immediately.

People saying a season like this was expected from Hughes are really downplaying or being purposefully misleading about predictions in the summer. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find too many people predicting openly he would struggle in year one. I mean, I know of the quotes in the Hockey Prospect Black Book from NHL scouts, but I also remember the pushback I got from a bunch of posters in this thread for quoting them questioning his ability to play center, especially early on. You'll find very few quotes expecting him to struggle early on. And I went through about 6 different sources (THN draft guide, Peters, Pronman, HP Black Book, McKenzie's draft article, Buttons final article and draft write-up).

I'm not saying this defines his career or anything. But people being happy with him getting less than 30 points on the season (which he is currently tracking for) while playing over 70 games are writing revisionist history.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Very few scouting reports expected him to struggle to produce to this level offensively. Given the uptick in league scoring, no one was predicting him to have the worst D+1 season offensively since the 2005 full season lockout that opened up the game offensively for young players. Nothing in McKenzie's write up says this. Just look at this quote

People saying a season like this was expected from Hughes are really downplaying or being purposefully misleading about predictions in the summer. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find too many people predicting openly he would struggle in year one. I mean, I know of the quotes in the Hockey Prospect Black Book from NHL scouts, but I also remember the pushback I got from a bunch of posters in this thread for quoting them questioning his ability to play center, especially early on. You'll find very few quotes expecting him to struggle early on. And I went through about 6 different sources (THN draft guide, Peters, Pronman, HP Black Book, McKenzie's draft article, Buttons final article and draft write-up).

I'm not saying this defines his career or anything. But people being happy with him getting less than 30 points on the season (which he is currently tracking for) while playing over 70 games are writing revisionist history.

You know as well as anyone how puck luck works. His 5.4% oish is unsustainably low. He could very easily be scoring at a 50 point pace if he were getting even average puck luck.

His xGF numbers are just fine.

Reactions: CaptTeneile

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You know as well as anyone how puck luck works. His 5.4% oish is unsustainably low. He could very easily be scoring at a 50 point pace if he were getting even average puck luck.

His xGF numbers are just fine.
I know how it works, but you are also dramatically overstating things. 50 point pace? Let's just say he improved his oiSH% at 5v5 by 50% to a reasonable 8.48%, you know how many extra points that would give him on the year so far? 5.5 points. So, that would be 40 on an 82 games, over 74 which he is currently paced to play that is 36 points. So, I don't know how you've arrived at he "could very easily be scoring at a 50 point pace if he were getting even average puck luck." That is quite simply extreme hyperbole given the facts at hand.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

"Absolutely, not the season people were projecting though when they were throwing around terms like best since McDavid or near-generational."

This is what I replied to originally, I'll have to keep bringing this up as the topic devolves. But my point was, nobody who mattered ever said this.

Should he have 15 more points? ok fine. That's not what I set out to disprove.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

People generally didn't expect it but some did, especially those I talked to around the game. After the draft I wrote that this is what could happen and suggested he take a year before the NHL (albeit noticeably lacking the same concern about what has also happened with Kakko)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
"Absolutely, not the season people were projecting though when they were throwing around terms like best since McDavid or near-generational."

This is what I replied to originally, I'll have to keep bringing this up as the topic devolves. But my point was, nobody who mattered ever said this.

Should he have 15 more points? ok fine. That's not what I set out to disprove.
Umm, a bunch of posters said this, and I caught flack for suggesting it wasn't true. I mean, I said to a bunch he wasn't on the same tier as Matthews, Eichel and Dahlin, and I can remember the push back.

The thing is though, I repeatedly said no scout was saying these things all of last year and got significant push back. I remember Devil's fans getting pissy when I said hope to expect a Marner or Barzal type player after the lottery. Being told to expect a Patrick Kane like player, who was a 70 point player in year one. So, now that he's shown in year one he wasn't near generational like some people in this thread were trying to throw around all of last year, outside opinions don't matter? Fine. I'm not saying you did this, but to not act like people did is mis-representing my original point.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I know how it works, but you are also dramatically overstating things. 50 point pace? Let's just say he improved his oiSH% at 5v5 by 50% to a reasonable 8.48%, you know how many extra points that would give him on the year so far? 5.5 points. So, that would be 40 on an 82 games, over 74 which he is currently paced to play that is 36 points. So, I don't know how you've arrived at he "could very easily be scoring at a 50 point pace if he were getting even average puck luck." That is quite simply extreme hyperbole given the facts at hand.

Pace meaning over an 82 game season. 8.48 would still be on the low end for a player like Hughes. Dude was snake bitten like crazy, especially at the start of the year.

Realistically, he should have at least 8-12 more points than he currently has. Just based on ixGF he should have 5 more goals.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pace meaning over an 82 game season. 8.48 would still be on the low end for a player like Hughes. Dude was snake bitten like crazy, especially at the start of the year.

Realistically, he should have at least 8-12 more points than he currently has. Just based on ixGF he should have 5 more goals.
Except you said very easily if he had an average. 8.5% at 5v5 is higher than average and even if you bump it up to 9.5% which would be on the high end you are talking two extra points. On top of that, if you give him the goals on expectation while ignoring his shot isn’t great yet, but then don’t subtract potential assists being missed that is entirely misleading. With the numbers you gave. 40 points over 82 is about right if his averages balanced out. 45 if you are going above to expecting closer to 9.5% area. I mean, if his line converted like Panarin or Laine’s year as a rookie fine. But that isn’t a reasonable expectation. That’s as much of an outlier as his current percentages.

I mean, who do you want to use as comparables, since you said higher than 8.5% at 5v5? Marner, Gaudreau, and Barzal, are all currently below it on the year.

Last edited:

Shakir ONeal

Jimmy Hughes
Sep 21, 2017
Definitely disappointing but was expecting 45ish points for the season.. he really has been unlucky should have another 10 points.

Doesn’t help that the wingers he has played with most at even strength (simmonds, zacha, Wood) have a combined 24 goals

Team in general has obviously sucked this year and losing his GM, coach, and best player in a matter of months wasn’t ideal. Hoping this is an outlier for his career

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Except you said very easily if he had an average. 8.5% at 5v5 is higher than average and even if you bump it up to 9.5% which would be on the high end you are talking two extra points. On top of that, if you give him the goals on expectation while ignoring his shot isn’t great yet, but then don’t subtract potential assists being missed that is entirely misleading. With the numbers you gave. 40 points over 82 is about right if his averages balanced out. 45 if you are going above to expecting closer to 9.5% area. I mean, if his line converted like Panarin or Laine’s year as a rookie fine. But that isn’t a reasonable expectation. That’s as much of an outlier as his current percentages.

I mean, who do you want to use as comparables, since you said higher than 8.5% at 5v5? Marner, Gaudreau, and Barzal, are all currently below it on the year.

Those guys may be below for the year, but above for their careers. For a skilled player like Hughes 8.5 is still pretty low.

A lot of his missed opportunities to convert have had very little to do with his shot, it's literally the puck not going right around the net. I think his shot has actually been better than expected.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Those guys may be below for the year, but above for their careers. For a skilled player like Hughes 8.5 is still pretty low.

A lot of his missed opportunities to convert have had very little to do with his shot, it's literally the puck not going right around the net. I think his shot has actually been better than expected.
Except your argument was easy if it was average. Which it wouldn't be. 8.5% is above average and even that only pushes it about to 40. You are expecting another 10 points to materialize out of optimism. Look, he is statistically under-achieving given what he is generating, you are just oign to far in the opposite direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad